• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand?

irelandcricket

Cricket Spectator
Quite bored and just wondering. Why have New Zealand not played any cricket since the World Cup? It feels like an age ago.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Probably because it has been thugby season, and the media is jizzing itself over the Rugby World Cup.

We're playing Zimbabwe fairly soon though. I really want to see NZ play again to see how much of a fluke making the semis of the World Cup was.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Probably because it has been thugby season, and the media is jizzing itself over the Rugby World Cup.

We're playing Zimbabwe fairly soon though. I really want to see NZ play again to see how much of a fluke making the semis of the World Cup was.
where does cricket rank in New Zealand in terms of popularity? 2 or 3?

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
where does cricket rank in New Zealand in terms of popularity? 2 or 3?
Cricket is easily our second sport, with a massive gap up to rugby union and an equally big gap down to rugby league. Some Aucklanders might argue that league is 2nd, and it gets a lot of news coverage, but outside of Auckland no-one cares about it. Soccer is big is some parts of the country but is still mostly seen as a kid's game.

Cricket is the only sport apart from rugby that has a devoted, nationwide following and in summertime is pretty much the only game in town.

I measure this not by match attendance but by how much people talk about it at bars, parties and in the workplace.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket is easily our second sport, with a massive gap up to rugby union and an equally big gap down to rugby league. Some Aucklanders might argue that league is 2nd, and it gets a lot of news coverage, but outside of Auckland no-one cares about it. Soccer is big is some parts of the country but is still mostly seen as a kid's game.

Cricket is the only sport apart from rugby that has a devoted, nationwide following and in summertime is pretty much the only game in town.

I measure this not by match attendance but by how much people talk about it at bars, parties and in the workplace.
Thats a pretty accurate description of where cricket ranks in terms of popularity IMO. Would disagree that soccer's mostly seen as a "kid's game" given the rise of the Phoenix and All Whites over the past 2-3 years though, and the greater coverage and importance of the NZ Football league.

I have to say its more than a little disappointing that theres been such a gap in New Zealand's international cricket calendar. When we finally are scheduled to play, its against Zimbabwe who, with due respect, we really should be beating. I'd be very interested to know why theres been such a large gap - did we originally have a series scheduled against, say Pakistan, that was cancelled?

brockley

International Captain
Actually looked at NZ's 2 tests with the Aussies,both tests clash with the India tests,wonder if they're really happening.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's everyone complaining about, New Zealand have at least 4 tests scheduled over the next 5 years !!
:p

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I make it they play 7 test matches this season. 1 against Zim, 2 against Aus away and then they host Zim for one after New Years, possibly the first D/N test and finish with 3 against RSA. Pretty decent, just a shame they couldn't get 3 against Aus. Seems strange that they have as many warm-up games there as tests...

Howsie

International Captain
New Zealand don't play test cricket.
I noticed during the England-India test series that Andrew Strauss has already racked up 89 matches for England in just a little over seven years, amazing really, especially considering how he missed quite a few games during his form slump. Brendon McCullum on the other hand, who made his test debut a few months before Strauss has only managed 59 matches during the same period, and he hasn't missed a single game for New Zealand during that time.

Quite sad as it really does show up just how little test cricket New Zealand plays compared to the big boys, at this rate it'll be a long time until somebody cracks the 100 test mark again.

Last edited: