• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What Is the Best Day of Test Match Cricket That You Witnessed Being In the Ground?

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
mine goes to the famous India-Australia Eden Test...and the best day for me was the 4th day and that remarkable partnership...guess, the 5th day was even better...but i was not there, sadly...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Has to be Trent Bridge day 1 this year for me. India actually bowled well and played high quality cricket (one of the few times in the series) to have England on the ropes at 8-120-odd. And then Broad, supported by Swann, played an unbelievable innings to claw England back into the game.

Then when India came out to bat Jimmy got a wicket with his first ball, and Laxman and Dravid survived some absolutely brilliant fast bowling from Jimmy, Broad and Bresnan in trying conditions and fading light to make it to stumps.

Was utterly enthralling. As a single day, I think it is better than any test cricket I've attended here in Australia.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Last day of the Oval Test 2005 - gripping, nerve-shredding, and ultimately ecstatic

(I was also at what became the last day of the Oval Test 2006 - a bit less good, that.)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Being at the Oval when England beat West Indies for the first time in a series in my lifetime. Not as major a day but significant as it was the first time i ever felt we actually had a half decent cricket team to follow. Nasser started the rise with Fletcher and eventually the end product is where we are today. It took a lot longer than they would have hoped and had the Moores/KP blip in the middle but Nasser's team laid the foundations.

That and being at Edgbaston in 96 to see Tendulkar's masterclass. The best ton i'll ever see live at a test. Simply brilliant.

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Only been to three days in my life and they were all this summer. :p Not exactly a wide range.

Out of those, the last day at the Oval against India was comfortably the best - a pretty exciting day where it took hours until the first wicket, then unravelled from there. Getting to see your team reach number one is a pretty special moment, brilliant day.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I've only been to Australia twice but on those trips I managed to see two of the most significant days in Australian cricket history, namely Shane Warne's first and last days as a Test cricketer.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Ive seen lots at the MCG, but for some reason the one day that sticks in my mind was day 3 of the 1998 Ashes test. Day 1 was washed out, day 2 Alec Stewart scored a nice ton, but England ripped through our batting on day 3, and Steve Waugh and Stuart MacGill put on a really awesome partnership, the ground was electric, Waugh got his ton in typical Waugh fashion, crowd was going bananas, much more than any other occasion I've seen at the G.

Some highlights here at 33:00

1998/99 ASHES REVIEW - ALL FIVE TESTS!!!!! - YouTube

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
mods please close thread.
I remember walking back down along St Kilda Road after the game, thinking "I'm never going to see a day of Test cricket like that ever again as long as I live." I stand by that.

In fact, I think it's 9/9 in the list that belong to that Ashes series. The competition is, sadly, only Day 5 at Lord's in 2004 (Strauss' debut hundred), followed by Day 5 at the Oval 2008 (facile England win) and Day 1 at Old Trafford in 1998 (I still see Gary Kirsten in my nightmares).

Burgey

Day one, Sydney. 1998-99 Ashes test.

300 plus runs, a ton, a 90, ten wickets and a hat trick. All in front of a full house.

Also day five Sydney, 2006-07 was a nostalgic day. The inevitable pizzling of a typically hapless England, followed by the send offs for McGrath, Warne and Langer.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I saw Glenn McGrath take 0/100 odd at Christchurch, that was glorious.

He ended up with innings figures of 5/120 though. :wacko:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
India Pakistan Chennai test Day 4 (final day). What a day that was! Loved it. Sachin's magnificent century. Awesome crowd banter with Saleem Malik. Left the ground in tears almost.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I haven't been to any Test matches out of England. But the best for me was the 5th day of the Ashes Test at Lord's in 2009 when Flintoff took 5-for.

_Ed_