Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How much can we justifiably use statistics

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Knew some smoker was going to comment on that.

Let's take this out back ****.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Inspire what though?

All they do is provide benchmarks and little records. They're so incredibly inconsequential to anything that matters.
    1000% agree, you Cheeqs lover. Ive always hated stats. All they do is fuel endless ultimately worthless debate.
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    An interesting set of stats. For me it's not about them though. Stats do not take into consideration pitch conditions etc etc etc They should be used cautiously as a guide only.
    Batting and bowling stats may not. But ICC rating takes in to account the opposition batsmen/ bowlers and total runs scored in the match. Indirectly it assesses pitch condition IMO.

Still light years better than subjective blabberings.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

State Vice-Captain
    Hate stats the way I hate music nazis. Both take the joy out of life.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Knew some smoker was going to comment on that.

Let's take this out back ****.
    In a sec mate. Just having a cuppa.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Inspire what though?

All they do is provide benchmarks and little records. They're so incredibly inconsequential to anything that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Most benchmarks are...
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Mahjong Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Batting and bowling stats may not. But ICC rating takes in to account the opposition batsmen/ bowlers and total runs scored in the match. Indirectly it assesses pitch condition IMO.

Still light years better than subjective blabberings.
    AND your implication is.....?????
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

Torn tbh between the two camps, always find myself shifting. Usually end up in favour of the "watching > stats" argument but there's a place for stats. In the end cricket is simply about weight of runs and wickets, and stats is the packaging.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Torn tbh between the two camps, always find myself shifting. Usually end up in favour of the "watching > stats" argument but there's a place for stats. In the end cricket is simply about weight of runs and wickets, and stats is the packaging.
    Well kind of. But you can't accurately measure the inputs which bring about those runs and wickets.

Whether it be a bowler keeping it tight down one end and building the pressure, or a batsman giving the strike to his partner when he's hot... You can't measure that ****, and in essence that is cricket, not pure runs and wickets.

No, you can't, but in the end you have to make a subjective judgement call about the relative importance of each little factor.

Which is exactly the same thought process as in basic stat manipulation (not ridiculous nitpicky stat manipulation, that is).

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    No, you can't, but in the end you have to make a subjective judgement call about the relative importance of each little factor.

Which is exactly the same thought process as in basic stat manipulation (not ridiculous nitpicky stat manipulation, that is).
    There's nothing stats can show me that I can't already deduce from watching cricket myself. And watching cricket itself reveals way more to me than any detailed stats argument you can put up about the same issue.

Comes back to my point of stats having such an insignificant impact on cricket.

There's nothing stats can show me that I can't already deduce from watching cricket myself. And watching cricket itself reveals way more to me than any detailed stats argument you can put up about the same issue.

That's fair enough.

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar

See, thats why I can't for the life of me understand why you think Cheeqs was good. Maybe your eyes are infested with some strange disease that makes atrocious **** backyard batting techniques look good???

Like, seriously, like, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    See, thats why I can't for the life of me understand why you think Cheeqs was good. Maybe your eyes are infested with some strange disease that makes atrocious **** backyard batting techniques look good???

Like, seriously, like, ya know?
    Run at me, ****.

I definately don't think this is the case, but let's just assume that stats can encompass every aspect of the game necessary to describe how good/bad a player is. By implication that means that there would be only one correct answer to any question that seeks to compare players - e.g. the question, "who is the better batsman out of Ponting or Kallis?" would only have one answer, and to find it all you would have to do is look up the appropriate stats. I think a fair few people believe that stats can get pretty close to being able cover all the necessary bases, and if that is the case, my question to them is, why are you even particularly interested in something like cricket? Any debate brought on by that belief inevitably revolves around fiddling with numbers - i.e. the goal is basically an attempt to completely remove any subjective qualities of cricket, which are the very things that make it enjoyable imo.

In any case, I don't even think something like cricket can ever be meaningfully described by stats alone, and even if it could, I can't think of many reasons why it should be.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information