• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

what Is the Best Spell of Reverse Swing Bowling that You have Ever Seen?

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Most of his wickets were due to some serious reverse swing and he did it both ways too. Lefties were presented with a series of induckers then to get the out swinger, and righties kept leaving them until he swung one other way. Was an epic battle between Vaas and Lara not only the match the whole series. Lara tamed Murali for sure, but Vaas had Lara's number. Unfortunately nearly 5-6 lbw shouts off Vaas was turned down, which were mighty close. My gut feeling while watching live was that in all of them Lara was plumb. And adding to that Vaas bowled miserly, and Lara might have not scored 75 runs out of 600+ he amassed against SL. (although I cannot confirm this).
Top bowling. It was one of those series which stay in your memory for long. Lara, of course, was a one-man army for the West Indies and Vaas-Murali-Zoysa was as incisive as an attack could be in those conditions.

For some weird reason, I seem to recall that were more cutters and angled stuff bowled than genuine reverse swing by Vaasy in that match. Of course, as a masterful thinker, he mixed them up so there's a fair chance he would have opted for a lot of variations instead of that 'stock delivery and waiting for the mistake' formula.

Love to see a video of that again, man. Not many medium-pacers would have bowled so well on that SSC deck. Vaas was in a different gear and as a swing and seam bowling lover, you couldn't leave your TV set! :wub: :wub:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That spell from Shoaib was ridiculous. What a ball for Mark Waugh to cop first up

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah that spell from Shoaib has to be at least in the top 3 reverse swing spells for sure if not in the top 2. That batting line-up was insanely good and he wrapped them up in no time. The **** batting cost us the match in the end in any case

Xuhaib

International Coach
yeah that spell from Shoaib has to be at least in the top 3 reverse swing spells for sure if not in the top 2. That batting line-up was insanely good and he wrapped them up in no time. The **** batting cost us the match in the end in any case
story of Pakistan circa mid 90's

Xuhaib

International Coach
think there will be many spells of pakistani bowlers coming in and deserving so...but mine goes to javagal srinath, in a test match against south africa in 1996...where S.A were chasing 170 to win in the last innings, and were 65 for 3 at one stage, there the ball started reversing for srinath...and south africa got all out for 105...

here's the link...

Javagal Srinath 6/21 vs South Africa 1st test 1996/97 Ahmedabad - YouTube
with all due respect to Javagal who I rated very highly this is not even among the top 20 reverse swing spells that I have seen.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Was reminded of a very good spell of reverse swing bowling today while following a video link.

Zaheer Khan picking up 3 quick wickets (in a winning cause) on the 5th day morning in Mohali, 2008 against Australia was quite special when I saw it live. It was quite refreshing to see it again today (start at 9:00 mins on this link) and was very crucial in sealing what proved to be a comfortable win in the end.

Haddin got bowled through the gate to one that reversed back in, while Cam White and Lee fell to the away going one. Not the best batsmen, tbf and I am not claiming it was a great spell of reverse swing or anything, but a short, spiteful burst that makes for very good viewing. :)

Just thought that genuine swing bowling lovers might enjoy this clip. To me, it shows great skill if a bowler can reverse it both ways and pick up cheap wickets at such a rapid rate.

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Was reminded of a very good spell of reverse swing bowling today while following a video link.

Zaheer Khan picking up 3 quick wickets (in a winning cause) on the 5th day morning in Mohali, 2008 against Australia was quite special when I saw it live. It was quite refreshing to see it again today (start at 9:00 mins on this link) and was very crucial in sealing what proved to be a comfortable win in the end.

Haddin got bowled through the gate to one that reversed back in, while Cam White and Lee fell to the away going one. Not the best batsmen, tbf and I am not claiming it was a great spell of reverse swing or anything, but a short, spiteful burst that makes for very good viewing. :)

Just thought that genuine swing bowling lovers might enjoy this clip. To me, it shows great skill if a bowler can reverse it both ways and pick up cheap wickets at such a rapid rate.
OMG Completely agree, I remember watching that passage of play live. The first 5 balls Zaheer was bowling dollies, almost jogging in and just putting the ball there, and Haddin looked relaxed probably thinking "oh he's just getting warmed up" and BAM gets cleaned bowled. Just before that delivery I had a feeling Zaheer would let rip the last one and he did! Was amazing. And the one that got Lee was wicked, the match had been sealed by then. Sometimes you can just tell how a player will get out and it ends up happening. Also remember thinking "Clarke is gonna get lbw'd by the one that comes back in by Zak" and I remember that happened a few times on that tour.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Dale Steyn Nagpur 2010 v India

Andrew Flintoff and Simon Jones 2005 Ashes

Tim Bresnan Melbourne 2010, 2nd innings v Australia

Ajmal Shahzad Old Trafford 2010 v Bangladesh (This was a serious spell of reverse swing both ways.)

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Was Bangla 'do.

Have to agree, that Imran spell is incredible. Quite often, I guess because we're spoiled by such good-quality close camera views nowadays, I find it difficult to get a feel for the bowling in old video clips, but that 8 wicket spell diminished the need for great camera work. That ball was going some.