• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 5 all time best from every country?

bagapath

International Captain
top five from all countries

bradman
hobbs
richards
hammond
hutton

marshall
murali
warne
mcgrath
barnes

sobers
imran
miller
botham
kallis

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
To be honest im relatively new to cricket and Most probably there are better picks than mine. The only reason i even knew about barry richards and graeme pollock was because i saw a special on tv once and then went on to research them.

Edit: lol just read the thread and it seems my picks are absolute dog ****. Well take it for what it is a view from a newcomer to cricket.
Welcome to CricketWeb :)

Hope you'll like your stay here...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
To be honest im relatively new to cricket and Most probably there are better picks than mine. The only reason i even knew about barry richards and graeme pollock was because i saw a special on tv once and then went on to research them.

Edit: lol just read the thread and it seems my picks are absolute dog ****. Well take it for what it is a view from a newcomer to cricket.
Your picks weren't bad at all. If you're going to take one day cricket into consideration, for example, Klusener is an excellent call as an all rounder. More to the point, as a Saffer cricket fan you're lucky to have had some unbelievable past players who've played for your team.

AlwaysProteas

U19 12th Man
Your picks weren't bad at all. If you're going to take one day cricket into consideration, for example, Klusener is an excellent call as an all rounder. More to the point, as a Saffer cricket fan you're lucky to have had some unbelievable past players who've played for your team.
From what I've gathered, Clive Rice and Mike Proctor were good all-rounders. This article from cricinfo also gives some good names that I'll read up upon. Any others that you would want in your team?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa
Batsmen: Greame Pollock, Barry Richards, Dudley Nourse, Jacques Kallis, Bruce Mitchell
Bowlers: Allan Donald, Shaun Pollock, Dale Steyn, Mike Procter, Neil Adcock
All-rounders: Jacques Kallis, Shaun Pollock, Aubrey Faulkner, Mike Procter, Trevor Goddard

England
Batsmen: Jack Hobbs, Wally Hammond, Len Hutton, Herbert Suttcliffe, Ken Barrington, Dennis Compton
Bowlers: Sydney Barnes, Fred Trueman, Jim Laker, George Lohman, Frank Tyson
All-rounders: Ian Botham, Wilfred Rhodes, Andrew Flintoff, Tony Greig, ??

Australia
Batsmen: Don Bradman, Greg Chappell, Ricky Ponting, Steve Waugh, Allan Border
Bowlers: Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath, Bill O'Reilly, Dennis Lillee, Allan Davidson
All-rounders: Keith Miller, Monty Noble, Jack Gregory, Richie Benaud, Warwick Armstrong

West Indies
Batsmen: Garry Sobers, Viv Richards, Brian Lara, George Headley, Everton Weeks
Bowlers: Malcolm Marshall, Curtly Ambrose, Joel Garner, Michael Holding, Andy Roberts
All-rounders: Garry Sobers, Learie Constantine, ??, ??, ??

India
Batsmen: Sachin Tendulkar, Sunil Gavaskar, Rahul Dravid, Vijay Hazare, Virendra Sehwag
Bowlers: :laugh:
All-rounders: Kapil Dev, Vinoo Mankad, Ravi Shastri, ??, ??

Pakistan
Batsmen: Javed Miandad, Zaheer Abbas, Inzamam ul-Haq, Haneef Mohammad, Mohammad Yousuf
Bowlers: Imran Khan, Waqar Younis, Wasim Akram, Fazal Mahmood, Shoaib Akhtar
All-rounders: Imran Khan, <not putting anyone next to him>

Sri Lanka
Batsmen: Kumara Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene, Aravinda D'Silva, Sanath Jayasuriya, Marvan Attapatu
Bowlers: Muttiah Muralitharan <not putting anyone next to him>
All-rounders: ??

New Zealand
Batsmen: Martin Crowe, Stephen Flemming, Glenn Turner, Bert Suttcliffe, Stewie Dempster
Bowlers: Richard Hadlee, Shane Bond, Jack Cowie, Chris Cairns, Daniel Vettori
All-rounders: Richard Hadlee, Chris Cairns, John Reid, Daniel Vettori, ??

Last edited:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
India
Batsmen: Sachin Tendulkar, Sunil Gavaskar, Rahul Dravid, Vijay Hazare, Virendra Sehwag
Bowlers: :laugh:
All-rounders: Kapil Dev, Vinoo Mankad, Ravi Shastri, ??, ??
:laugh: :laugh:

I think that Amar Singh and Mohd. Nissar of colonial India could be fair shouts though.

EDIT: And for Pakistan, Mushtaq Mohd. and A.H.Kardar were pretty good all-rounders. Not in Imran's league though.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I was being cheeky. There are a fair few to fill the 5 spots for Indian bowlers tbf.

And with all due respect to them (which generally means total disrespect), Mushtaq Mohammad and Kardar are only namesake all-rounders.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa
All-rounders: Jacques Kallis, Shaun Pollock, Aubrey Faulkner, Mike Procter, Trevor Goddard
Clive Rice was probably more rounded than most of them, but he never played a test match. So, fair enough.

Peter Pollock is worth a shout, too.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
West Indies
Batsmen: Garry Sobers, Viv Richards, Brian Lara, George Headley, Everton Weeks
I personally think Everton Weekes was relatively a weaker batsman than the other 2 Ws. The two best sides in his time were England and Australia. Weekes has an average record against both of them, especially away. He just demolished weaker bowling attacks though.

Overall, he was very good; but I personally keep him below Walcott and Worrell for this reason.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I personally think Everton Weekes was relatively a weaker batsman than the other 2 Ws. The two best sides in his time were England and Australia. Weekes has an average record against both of them, especially away. He just demolished weaker bowling attacks though.

Overall, he was very good; but I personally keep him below Walcott and Worrell for this reason.
Fair call. Have noticed his skewed record. He is still rated very highly by ex cricketers.

Days of Grace

International Captain
South Africa

New Zealand
Batsmen: Martin Crowe, Stephen Flemming, Glenn Turner, Bert Suttcliffe, Stewie Dempster
Bowlers: Richard Hadlee, Shane Bond, Jack Cowie, Chris Cairns, Daniel Vettori
All-rounders: Richard Hadlee, Chris Cairns, John Reid, Daniel Vettori, ??
Bruce Taylor worth a shout.

I guess Jacob Oram could also be considered.