• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 5 all time best from every country?

bagapath

International Captain
England

Batsmen

Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Compton
Grace

Bowlers

Barnes
Trueman
Laker
Bedser
Peel

Allrounders

Botham
Rhodes
Ames
A. Stewart
Knott

Australia

Batsmen

Bradman
G.Chappell
Trumper
Ponting
Border

Bowlers

Warne
McGrath
Lillee
Oreilly
Grimmett

Allrounders

Miller
Gilchrist
Gregory
Noble
Benaud

weeman27bob

International Regular
Despite his average, nobody seems to rate Sutcliffe despite his lofty average. Is there a reason why?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Despite his average, nobody seems to rate Sutcliffe despite his lofty average. Is there a reason why?
Christ, can't believe I missed him completely. Have edited - he's 6th for England IMO, just the faintest breath behind the Brylcreem Boy.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I’ve often seen people rate the 2 W’s ahead of Imran, though I strongly disagree, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen him ranked behind Qadir. Place Imran to the top of your list and I’d agree with the rest of your order. :)
That's a good point. Apart from that, Fazal Mahmood would be considered a few leagues above Akhtar by a lot of people; myself included.

And if we adopt a strictly technical perspective, Mohammad Nissar ought to be considered a Pakistani pace bowler as well. And if that's the case, he was as good as any guy who bowled after him. Beats me how Akhtar and even Qadir would come ahead of him.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand

Batsmen:
Martin Crowe
Glen Turner
Bert Sutcliffe
Stewie Dempster
Martin Donnelly

Bowlers:
Richard Hadlee
Shane Bond
Chris Cairns
Daniel Vettori
Richard Collinge

All-Rounders:
Richard Hadlee
John Reid
Chris Cairns
Daniel Vettori
Bevan Congdon
(Struggling for a fifth, have I missed someone obvious?)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
India

Batsmen:
Sachin Tendulkar
Sunil Gavaskar
Rahul Dravid
Virender Sehwag
Vijay Hazare
(Honourable mentions to Merchant, Vishy and VVS)

Bowlers:
Anil Kumble
Kapil Dev
Bishan Bedi
Bhagwat Chandrasekhar
Subash Gupte

All-Rounders:
Kapil Dev
Vinoo Mankad
Lala Armanath
Ravi Shastri
Manoj Prabhakar
(Was struggling again here - have I missed someone obvious?)

bagapath

International Captain
he is a top 10 england batsman which a very big deal indeed. i did choose him first before replacing him with grace. his SR of 37 works against him, in my books, when you compare him with the 5 champs i have listed in my post. of course, i wont have any problem with anyone choosing him over pietersen, boycott, gooch and may who complete my top 10 english batters list.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
That's a good point. Apart from that, Fazal Mahmood would be considered a few leagues above Akhtar by a lot of people; myself included.

And if we adopt a strictly technical perspective, Mohammad Nissar ought to be considered a Pakistani pace bowler as well. And if that's the case, he was as good as any guy who bowled after him. Beats me how Akhtar and even Qadir would come ahead of him.
No, he doesn't. It's a ridiculous claim to make. We've gone over this before.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
No, he doesn't. It's a ridiculous claim to make. We've gone over this before.
I should have articulated that better. Anyway, can you link me to the thread where this topic was discussed in the past? I'd like to read (and possibly learn from) what others think on the issue.

Flem274*

123/5
New Zealand

Batsmen:
Martin Crowe
Glen Turner
Bert Sutcliffe
Stewie Dempster
Martin Donnelly

Bowlers:
Richard Hadlee
Shane Bond
Chris Cairns
Daniel Vettori
Richard Collinge

All-Rounders:
Richard Hadlee
John Reid
Chris Cairns
Daniel Vettori
Bevan Congdon
(Struggling for a fifth, have I missed someone obvious?)
I'd have Oram or Bruce Taylor ahead of Congdon. I'm surprised (but pleased) to see someone rate Vettori so highly. He did some awesome things in the first half of his career, but his bowling has fell away a bit.

I would have Cowie at number three on the bowling list, but that's just me.:)

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Why would you rate Nissar over Akhtar?
Just comes across as a pace bowler with greater promise. You've read Martin's article on "A short history of Indian fast bowling" where Nissar and Amar Singh are discussed at length.

It's clear that Nissar commanded a very high degree of respect from the batsman who faced him. On stamina (a HUGE factor for a pace bowler, IMHO), consistency and overall ability, I'd rate him slightly ahead. Akhtar's overs per match (about 29) is a very telling stat, for instance. He never shouldered the bowling burden as well as I'd expect a spearhead of mine to.

Always got the uneasy feeling with Akhtar that his skipper couldn't trust him to deliver the goods. Yes, he was extremely destructive when in his elements, but was far too prone to mediocrity for a bowler of that calibre.

Just my opinion, mate! Someone could have a very different one and that's fine too. :cool:

Last edited:

AlwaysProteas

U19 12th Man
Each to his own, but I'd have thought these guys must be hard to leave out?
- Clive Rice
- Mike Procter
- Aubrey Faulkner
To be honest im relatively new to cricket and Most probably there are better picks than mine. The only reason i even knew about barry richards and graeme pollock was because i saw a special on tv once and then went on to research them.

Edit: lol just read the thread and it seems my picks are absolute dog ****. Well take it for what it is a view from a newcomer to cricket.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd have Oram or Bruce Taylor ahead of Congdon. I'm surprised (but pleased) to see someone rate Vettori so highly. He did some awesome things in the first half of his career, but his bowling has fell away a bit.

I would have Cowie at number three on the bowling list, but that's just me.:)
Yep, Bruce Taylor - that's the obvious one I'd missed. Thanks mate. :)

Always been a big fan of Vettori, and yeah on another day Cowie might well have come in higher. After the top two, the next few in that list vary for me.

smash84

The Tiger King
Just comes across as a pace bowler with greater promise. You've read Martin's article on "A short history of Indian fast bowling" where Nissar and Amar Singh are discussed at length.

It's clear that Nissar commanded a very high degree of respect from the batsman who faced him. On stamina (a HUGE factor for a pace bowler, IMHO), consistency and overall ability, I'd rate him slightly ahead. Akhtar's overs per match (about 29) is a very telling stat, for instance. He never shouldered the bowling burden as well as I'd expect a spearhead of mine to.

Always got the uneasy feeling with Akhtar that his skipper couldn't trust him to deliver the goods. Yes, he was extremely destructive when in his elements, but was far too prone to mediocrity for a bowler of that calibre.

Just my opinion, mate! Someone could have a very different one and that's fine too. :cool:
Of course. I only wanted to know the reasons for your opinion. I thought Nissar played very little and that he had promise but that would be like rating the SA of the late 60s and early 70s as top notch (which they are by some who saw them).