• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 5 all time best from every country?

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Cairns is a good shout, and his test bowling average is about 4 runs/wicket lower than Vettori, but Vettori has been ranking at or near the top of the ODI bowling rankings for a while. I don't think Cairns ever achieved such heights.
Could have had a lot to do with the era that Cairns played in. When you are playing with Akram, Younis, Vaas, McGrath, Warne, Murali, Saqlain, C&C, Donald, Pollock and others, you wouldn't get too many chances to be on the top of the table.

Flem274*

123/5
Still not sure how we could have one of the best all-time opening bowling tandems in cricket history but no-one semi-decent to bowl first change.
Jack Cowie. Chris Cairns. Richard Collinge. Bruce Taylor.

New Zealand is a hard one because many of our best never played much for a variety of reasons, and we have a lot of players on roughly the same level.

Batsmen

Martin Crowe
Glenn Turner
Bert Sutcliffe
Stewie Dempster*
Martin Donnelly*

*Dempster and Donnelly didn't play much because of a) world wars b) stupid ban on County Players representing NZ in Dempster's time c) we don't play any tests anyway

Bowlers

Richard Hadlee
Shane Bond
Clarrie Grimmett (Bugger off Aussies :p)
Jack Cowie*
Bruce Taylor/Richard Collinge

*Cowie didn't play many tests because this was the 1920s/30s where we were just starting out. He played a huge amount of first class games for NZ against County, Australian FC, Englishmen and Australians sides and was excellent. If Wisden is to be believed, he would have been a superstar had he been born Australian. Cowie is also well known for getting Bradman out for nine the one time he played him.

Allrounders

Chris Cairns
John R. Reid
Daniel Vettori
Jacob Oram
Richard Hadlee

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
very good list...i might not agree with all of it...like border and miller from australia and few others, and some of the rankings...but nonetheless, very very good one
Border was a genuine slip of mind. He will be ahead of Ponting in my list. Miller, however, wouldn't make Australia's best 8 or so bowlers (or, 25 or so batsmen) - he's their best allrounder for sure though IMO.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
My list (Indian players):

Batsmen: Gavaskar, Dravid, Vijay Merchant, Tendulkar, Vijay Hazare

Bowlers: Subhash Gupte, Amar Singh, B.S.Chandrashekhar, Kapil Dev, Anil Kumble

All-rounders: Vinoo Mankad, Kapil Dev, Engineer, Dattu Phadkar, Syed Kirmani

Flem274*

123/5
Could have had a lot to do with the era that Cairns played in. When you are playing with Akram, Younis, Vaas, McGrath, Warne, Murali, Saqlain, C&C, Donald, Pollock and others, you wouldn't get too many chances to be on the top of the table.
Yeah if Cairnsy was playing today he would probably be in the top five bowlers, and then there is his batting...

Howe_zat

Audio File
Sooo many good allrounders and you choose them?
Others have talked about the all-rounders list, so I wouldn't go there.

But Morne Morkel and Ntini find a place in your bowlers' list? Considering that the Pollocks - Shaun and Peter, Hugh Tayfield, Peter Heine, Neil Adcock and Mike Procter aren't there. :wacko:
I take it that Always Proteas is only ordering the players he's seen. Still weird to leave out Shaun Pollock.

JBMAC

State Captain
WI

Batsmen:

Viv
Sobers
Headley
Lara
Walcott

Bowlers:

MM
Amby
Garner
Holding
Roberts

AR

Sobers
Collie Smith
Worrell
Constantine
Hooper??
Lance Gibbs a better choice as spinner. Hall and Griffiths for quicks. Why not Kanhai,Kallicharan or Lloyd in the batsmen?

Australia Tests

Batsmen

Le Don
G Chappell
Trumper
Ponting
Border

Bowlers

McGrath
Lillee (love that the iPhone auocorrects his name to Killer)
Warne
O'Reilly
Lindwall

All rounders

Miller
Davo
Benaud
Gifford
Armstrong
Miller for Lindwall,Armstrong for Border

Keepers

Tallon
Gilchrist
Grout
Healy
Marsh/ Blackham
Top thread btw
MacLean for Healy

I'll do batsmen and bowlers only:

Australia batsmen - Donald Bradman, Greg Chappell, Steve Waugh, Allan Border, Ricky Ponting
Australia bowlers - Glenn McGrath, Dennis Lillee, Bill O'Reilly, Shane Warne, Ray Lindwall
Trumper for Waugh,Miller for Lindwall

WI batsmen - Garry Sobers, George Headley, Viv Richards, Brian Lara, Everton Weekes
WI bowlers - Malcolm Marshall, Joel Garner, Curtly Ambrose, Michael Holding, Andy Roberts
No Gibbs?

SA batsmen - Graeme Pollock, Barry Richards, Jacques Kallis, Dudley Nourse, Bruce Mitchell
SA bowlers - Neil Adcock, Allan Donald, Mike Procter, Dale Steyn, Hugh Tayfield

England batsmen - Jack Hobbs, Leonard Hutton, Wally Hammond, Ken Barrington, KS Ranjitsinhji
England bowlers - Sydney Barnes, Fred Trueman, George Lohmann, Hedley Verity, Jim Laker

Pakistan batsmen - Javed Miandad, Inzamam-ul Haq, Hanif Mohammad, Zaheer Abbas, Saeed Anwar
Pakistan bowlers - Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Shoaib Akhtar, Fazal Mahmood

India batsmen - Sachin Tendulkar, Sunil Gavaskar, Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag, Vijay Hazare
India bowlers - Kapil Dev, Anil Kumble, Subhash Gupte, Mohammad Nissar, Zaheer Khan
Composite Test/ODI NZers:

Batting
1. Martin Crowe
2. Jesse Ryder
3. Andrew Jones
4. Ross Taylor No Bert Sutcliffe?
5. Glenn Turner

Bowling
1. Richard Hadlee
2. Shane Bond
3. Daylight
4. Twilight
5. Daniel Vettori

All-rounders
1. Chris Cairns
2. Richard Hadlee
3. Chris Harris
4. Daniel Vettori
5. Scott Styris?

Still not sure how we could have one of the best all-time opening bowling tandems in cricket history but no-one semi-decent to bowl first change.
Border was a genuine slip of mind. He will be ahead of Ponting in my list. Miller, however, wouldn't make Australia's best 8 or so bowlers (or, 25 or so batsmen) - he's their best allrounder for sure though IMO.[/QUOTE]
Keith Miller far better bowler than say Lindwall

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Keith Miller far better bowler than say Lindwall
I don't agree with that. Lindwall was a devastating bowler for 11 years (1942-53). Of course, 4 of them were lost due to war but he took 158 wickets @ 20 in test cricket in the next 7 years, and was clearly the spearhead of the Aussie attack. There were no two words about it. He was the first real great bowler after the war. Of course, with age and injuries his form waned - but remaining the best bowler in the world for 11 years is no mean feat.

I know you have seen both of them play, but I've read others who have also seen both of them play and rate Lindwall way higher.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Still not sold on Morne Morkel ahead of Shaun Pollock, even if only their bowling skills are considered. Never mind the ATG bowlers that we mentioned from a different era.
I think he's chosen not to select any one player in more than one category, which I can understand. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind thinking Morkel is a better bowler than Procter, never mind the Pollocks.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I think he's chosen not to select any one player in more than one category, which I can understand.
Kallis is there in his list as a batsman as well as an all-rounder. And that's fair, but for consistency, the same consideration ought to have been extended to pace bowling all-rounders as well.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia

Batsmen:
The Don
Greg Chappell
Victor Trumper
Ricky Ponting
AB
(Honourable mentions to Waugh and Harvey)

Bowlers:
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath
Dennis Lillee
Bill O'Reilly
Ray Lindwall
(Honourable mentions to Davo, Demon, Miller, Grimmett and Turner)

All-Rounders:
Keith Miller
Monty Noble
Richie Benaud
George Giffen
Jack Gregory
(Honourable mentions to Davo and the Big Ship - and I've counted only batting/bowling all-rounders rather than 'keeper-batsmen too)

Fusion

Global Moderator
who are top 5 all time best batsmen, bowlers, and all rounders from every country

Bowlers:

1. Wasim Akram
2. Waqar Younis
3. Abdul Qadir
4. Imran Khan
5. Shoaib Akhtar
I’ve often seen people rate the 2 W’s ahead of Imran, though I strongly disagree, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen him ranked behind Qadir. Place Imran to the top of your list and I’d agree with the rest of your order. :)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
England

Batsmen:
Jack Hobbs
WG Grace
Walter Hammond
Len Hutton
Denis Compton
(Honourable mentions to Sutcliffe, Barrington, May and Ranji)

Bowlers:
Sydney Barnes
Fred Trueman
George Lohmann
Jim Laker
Harold Larwood
(Honourable mentions to Bedser, Tate, Statham, Verity, Richardson and a bunch of others)

All-Rounders:
Ian Botham
Wilfred Rhodes
Tony Greig
Andrew Flintoff
Frank Woolley
(Honourable mentions to Trevor Bailey and - at FC level - Grace, Tate and Hirst)

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
South Africa

Batsmen:
Graeme Pollock
Jacques Kallis
Barry Richards
Dudley Nourse
Herbie Taylor
(Honourable mentions to Bruce Mitchell, Eddie Barlow, Gary Kirsten, Daryl Cullinan, Graeme Smith)

Bowlers:
Alan Donald
Dale Steyn
Shaun Pollock
Hugh Tayfield
Neil Adcock
(Honourable mentions to P Pollock, Heine and the pre-war spinners)

All-Rounders:
Jacques Kallis
Aubrey Faulkner
Shaun Pollock
Mike Procter
Trevor Goddard
(Honourable mentions to Eddie Barlow, Clive Rice and Brian McMillan)

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
West Indies

Batsmen:
Garry Sobers
Vivian Richards
Brian Lara
George Headley
Everton Weekes
(Honourable mentions to the other two Ws, Clive Lloyd, Rohan Kanhai and Gordon Greenidge)

Bowlers:
Malcolm Marshall
Curtly Ambrose
Michael Holding
Joel Garner
Lance Gibbs
(Honourable mentions to Hall, Griffith, Roberts, Walsh, Bishop and those two little pals of mine)

All-Rounders:
Garry Sobers
Learie Constantine
Frank Worrell
Collie Smith
Carl Hooper
(No honourable mentions, I was struggling for five...)

Last edited: