• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best 5 Wicketkeeper Batsman Of Modern Era

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've felt it was ridiculous looking at it like that because you really can only keep to who bowls at you. It basically just becomes a question of "which decent keeper kept to the best attack?" which is an absurdly unfair way to judge keeping skills. Furthermore, keeping <> batting. Extrapolating a lack of batting prowess against a certain bowling type to mean a similar problem while keeping to that type is farcical.

The only way you can judge wicket keeping is by watching players keep wicket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've felt it was ridiculous looking at it like that because you really can only keep to who bowls at you. It basically just becomes a question of "which decent keeper kept to the best attack?" which is an absurdly unfair way to judge keeping skills. Furthermore, keeping <> batting. Extrapolating a lack of batting prowess against a certain bowling type to mean a similar problem while keeping to that type is farcical.

The only way you can judge wicket keeping is by watching players keep wicket.
Yeah, pretty much.

Although there does seem to be a pretty strong correlation between those keepers one instinctively "rates" and byes conceded.

Like captaincy tho, it's quite a stat-resistant discipline.

&, ftr, not so much angered as tickled.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
If I thought that Boucher could be a great keeper to spinners then I would have kept him ahead of Gilchrist as a keeper alone. There's a reason I've kept him at no. 5, and not no. 3.

And Russell vs PJ isn't a debate at all. On the other hand, Kiran More vs PJ might be interesting (on keeping alone).