• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The difference between bowling and chucking.

Nigel Benjamin

U19 12th Man
I was just watching Saeed Ajmal bowling in the recently concluded Test between Pakistan and Zimbabwe and to my eyes it looked like he was chucking 'em. Not so long ago Johan Botha another man with a suspect action had his doosra banned because he exceeded the 15° angle or something...well what I want to know is, when can we start saying a bowler is chucking? If there's anybody who knows the laws of bowling please explain to me because I'm really puzzled...

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I can understand it that it's a no no if a fast bowler chucks the ball (increased speed), but what is wrong with a spinner doing it? The batsmen have plenty of time to react to spinners chucking. What advantage does a spinner get by chucking the ball?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No offence, but this "why can't a spinner chuck it" argument gives me the ****s.

It spins more, that's why. And if you can spin it more by chucking it then that's an unfair advantage.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No offence, but this "why can't a spinner chuck it" argument gives me the ****s.

It spins more, that's why. And if you can spin it more by chucking it then that's an unfair advantage.
Quite so.

No coincidence that most of the dodgy actions in international cricket currently are those of finger-spinners.

Riggins

International Captain
Sub continental players can chuck it, other guys can't.

Get used to it and find a bowling action that you're allowed and is effective in internationals.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sub continental players can chuck it, other guys can't.

Get used to it and find a bowling action that you're allowed and is effective in internationals.
Even McGrath used to chuck if judged under the old laws.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ajmal isn't a great spinner of the ball though. He is good thanks to his doosra and variations.
Filthy chucker tho; lack of spin notwithstanding.

If his doosra isn't a throw, I've never seen one, etc.

He's not the only one, obvz. Botha goes without saying, but Ashwin & Beer's quicker ball also utilise more elbow than I'd like to see too.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Its not all that surprising, if I was an international finger spinner I'd chuck for all I was worth

BoyBrumby

Englishman
all of the new spinners are chucking it.
Nah. No issues with Lyon, Ojha, Herath or Randiv at all.

Of the bowlers one suspects it's usually the change-up delivery, be it wrong 'un or arm ball, that's the problem.

Botha & Ajmal the exceptions inasmuch as every ball they send down looks a chuck.

AlwaysProteas

U19 12th Man
Another major advantage spinners get by chucking is far superior accuracy. For me at least it's so much easier to land the ball where I want to if I "bend the rules" a bit.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not saying he is chucking them...was referring more to the initial comment re: spinners and chucking in general.

Debris

International 12th Man
Even McGrath used to chuck if judged under the old laws.
The old law was the umpire's judgement so the only people who were chuckers were those the umpire called. There was no set amount you could bend your arm that I can recall.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
It's a lot of fun bowling Murali-style, by bending the elbow and flicking the ball out of the gap between the thumb and index finger, as opposed to rolling it off the middle of the fingers. You can get some truly vicious spin that way.