• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The difference between bowling and chucking.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Ajmal isn't a great spinner of the ball though. He is good thanks to his doosra and variations.
Ajmal does turn it pretty big, especially for a finger spinner. Last year in England he got his doosra to turn a fair amount - probably a video of it on youtube somewhere.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can see Ajmal having loads of success in the near future after which they'll investigate his action and suspend him for a bit

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I guess the doosra is one delivery which is almost impossible to bowl with a clean action.
Bang on target (almost).

Bowling a googly for a right-arm legspinner is possible without bending the arm, but bowling a doosra without bending the arm isn't humanely possible for a right-arm offspinner.

Those who don't believe in the paradox should try it on their own. There's something about our bone structure that causes this problem.

Note: I'm not suggesting that bowling a doosra is always chucking. Remember, bending the arm less than 15% (?) isn't chucking.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
The way it looks to me is that when bowling a doosra, the entire movement of the wrist in invested in lateral movement rather than putting power behind the ball. Hence there is almost nil power going into getting the ball down to the other end unless you put some elbow into it. A "clean" doosra may be possible, but it would likely bounce three or four times before it gets to the batsman.

smash84

The Tiger King
Bang on target (almost).

Bowling a googly for a right-arm legspinner is possible without bending the arm, but bowling a doosra without bending the arm isn't humanely possible for a right-arm offspinner.

Those who don't believe in the paradox should try it on their own. There's something about our bone structure that causes this problem.
[/B]
haha.....this.....trying it out makes it so much easier to understand........

your avatar is funny :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The old law was the umpire's judgement so the only people who were chuckers were those the umpire called. There was no set amount you could bend your arm that I can recall.
Might wanna read up.. There were limits of 5 for spinners and 7.5 for fast bowlers and then did tests during the ICC Champions Trophy that showed everybody flexed it greater than those figures and they arrived at 15 as a consensus maximum.. Then again, what have facts gotta do with rants?

And for those of you who don't trust the technology on this one but believe the human eye is good enough (would LOVE to know how many of you are sure these are the ONLY guys who chuck or flex their elbow while bowling), how come the same argument ain't good enough when it comes to DRS? 8-)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's a lot of fun bowling Murali-style, by bending the elbow and flicking the ball out of the gap between the thumb and index finger, as opposed to rolling it off the middle of the fingers. You can get some truly vicious spin that way.
yep.. that is why so many have got 800 test wickets.. oh wait!!!

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah.. like India are using with DRS.. Hey come on, practical experience > Technology.. :)

btw, did you even read what Riggins said? Are you implying you agree with that view?
No, I wasn't aware anything I said in the post you quoted had anything to do with what Riggins said.

I've never agreed with the blanket statement "all bowlers chucked under the old rule" though because, while I agree science has proven the old rule to be inadequate, I don't think the old limits were ever intended to stand up to modern day testing procedures where we can accurately measure exactly how much an arm bends to = >5 degrees. So I don't see any great value in working backwards from what we have now to apply it to bowlers under the old rule and state that they all threw.

I think it's quite clear that the old rule didn't come about in an era where science played a big part in determining the degree of flex allowed in a bowler's arm. If it looked dodgy then it was called as such. Even now, how many bowlers with what looks like a dodgy action have been picked up and tested and proven to be 10 degrees under the allowed limit when tested in the lab? I'd back not many, and that most were pushing the limit when they got into the lab.

I'm not saying we shouldn't use the science available, as if we didn't we'd have never found out Murali was ok. But I don't agree with labelling all bowlers chuckers 'under the old rule', as if there was a scientific basis for coming up with the previous limits in the first place. It's pretty clear they were arbitrary numbers that were never properly tested to begin with. I doubt those in charge of making the rules at the time ever intended bowlers with actions like Donald, McGrath, Gillespie, Pollock, Akhtar (:ph34r:) to be able to be labelled 'chuckers' because they got their calculations wrong regarding how many degrees an arms bends in a normal action.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yep.. that is why so many have got 800 test wickets.. oh wait!!!
:laugh:

Don't think there's any need to get overly sensitive about it...oh, wait :sleep:

For me to bowl "Murali-style" I have to chuck it as I don't have the same physical make-up as he does. When I do this it looks a bit like Murali, but I obviously throw it. I'd be no-balled in a game.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
:laugh:

Don't think there's any need to get overly sensitive about it...oh, wait :sleep:

For me to bowl "Murali-style" I have to chuck it as I don't have the same physical make-up as he does. When I do this it looks a bit like Murali, but I obviously throw it. I'd be no-balled in a game.
nah.. the Murali thing just irks me because the guy bowled with all those wires around him and even bowled with a weight on his elbow to ensure it didn't straighten... The amount of ignorance about him and his action beggars belief, tbh...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
And for those of you who don't trust the technology on this one but believe the human eye is good enough (would LOVE to know how many of you are sure these are the ONLY guys who chuck or flex their elbow while bowling), how come the same argument ain't good enough when it comes to DRS? 8-)
Gold.