View Poll Results: English? Pleased the crims are looking less than rancid?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 25.00%
  • No

    5 41.67%
  • No homo

    4 33.33%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51

Thread: My fellow Englishmen...

  1. #1
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,225

    My fellow Englishmen...

    ...& women, tbf.

    I've recently experienced a strange phenomenon which has hitherto never happened to me in nearly 30 years as a cricket fan which I thought I'd share:

    I find myself feeling quite pleased Australia are doing well.

    There, I've said it. Shocking confession to make, but I feel I'm amongst friends here.

    Now this is patently abnormal behaviour for any English cricket fan; usually Australian defeats are like oxygen to us; we need them to function. However one noted there was rather a lot of revisionism from some quarters following the 2010/11 Ashes, suggesting Australia weren't actually much good and England were no more than a decent side who essentially had to turn up to win.

    Well, now.

    Following yer crim's win in SL featuring (count them) no fewer than 9 who played in that series Australia suddenly look a whole lot less turd than one or two might've otherwise suggested.

    Obviously one doesn't want Australia to get to the stage where they might beat us again but, inasmuch as it paints our winter wondertour in a more favourable light, I can't quite shake off this alien feeling.

    Am I alone? Ill? Have any of my countrymen (or women) found themselves stricken with this malady?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

  2. #2
    International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    4,192

  3. #3
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    If it makes you feel better, I still hate all English people.











    Tangy aside.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,443
    I am most definitely not suffering from this.

    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    However one noted there was rather a lot of revisionism from some quarters following the 2010/11 Ashes, suggesting Australia weren't actually much good and England were no more than a decent side who essentially had to turn up to win.
    One suspected that this particular line of reasoning was guff at the time. Since then, I think England having gone on to knock the sage & onion out of all but one of the top 6 sides in the last year answers it rather better.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 05-09-2011 at 06:23 AM.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.


  5. #5
    International Captain Jacknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    West Yorkshire.
    Posts
    6,236
    Agree, they were never anywhere near as bad as what was made out, it is just that England are in top form and have become a very good team that makes good teams look ****e.
    As far as Australia goes, the lower they sink the better.

  6. #6
    International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    4,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    One suspected that this particular line of reasoning was guff at the time. Since then, I think England having gone on to knock the sage & onion out of all but one of the top 6 sides in the last year answers it rather better.
    Its true, after all they did go over to India and give a pretty decent account of themselves just prior to our own series with them (as we all know, they should really have finished them off in the first Test), and have now returned to the subcontinent and proceeded to trounce Sri Lanka in their own First Test.

    Things like this are often forgotten when England miraculously manage to beat someone - has to be the quality of the opposition in question. I think people are coming round to it now, though, after another demolition job against India.

  7. #7
    Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,825
    Always hate it when they do well.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,443
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Its true, after all they did go over to India and give a pretty decent account of themselves just prior to our own series with them (as we all know, they should really have finished them off in the first Test), and have now returned to the subcontinent and proceeded to trounce Sri Lanka in their own First Test.

    Things like this are often forgotten when England miraculously manage to beat someone - has to be the quality of the opposition in question. I think people are coming round to it now, though, after another demolition job against India.
    What's amazed me most of all is the number of world class players found to be completely "out of form" when they happen to play England.

  9. #9
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,812
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Following yer crim's win in SL featuring (count them) no fewer than 9 who played in that series Australia suddenly look a whole lot less turd than one or two might've otherwise suggested.

    but see SL suck more than we do. they literally don't have a bowling attack, we just picked the wrong one in every match

    and i've said before on here (i think) that picking two people who shouldn't've been picked in every match perhaps Perth was the biggest reason we lost, so the bolded means nothing
    Last edited by Spikey; 05-09-2011 at 06:44 AM.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

  10. #10
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,686
    Spikey is the Chomsky of our generation.
    ★★★★★

  11. #11
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    but see SL suck more than we do. they literally don't have a bowling attack, we just picked the wrong one in every match

    and i've said before on here (i think) that picking two people who shouldn't've been picked in every match perhaps Perth was the biggest reason we lost, so the bolded means nothing
    north, doherty
    north, doherty
    smith, hilf
    smith, hilf
    smith, hilf, beer

    ftr. and then we can talk about hughes, and the fitness of clarke, ponting, katich* & dougeh

    *had his injury going into Adl. Suppose it makes you wonder why on earth Watson called that run.

  12. #12
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Spikey is the Chomsky of our generation.
    listen ****

    I have been described as a prominent cultural figure, so what

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,100
    I see your point Brumbers, but then I thought of 1989, 1990/91, 1993, 1994/95, 1997, 1998/99, 2001 and 2002/03 and thought **** it the answer has to be no bloody way - keep them down there as long as possible because you just know some Border/Waugh type is waiting around the corner ready to restore normal service

  14. #14
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    but see SL suck more than we do. they literally don't have a bowling attack, we just picked the wrong one in every match

    and i've said before on here (i think) that picking two people who shouldn't've been picked in every match perhaps Perth was the biggest reason we lost, so the bolded means nothing
    No arguments about the Lankan bowling; they would have to improve considerably to become dire.

    Think you have to give some credit to England beyond Australia's (admittedly rib-ticklingly hilarious) selection policy. In fact one could argue your batting in SL is weaker than it was against England (or in the first two tests at least) thanks to the summary dismissal of Katich. Connoisseurs of irony will have noted that the two biggest scores in the first innings were made by the two batsmen of similar vintage to the great man.

  15. #15
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,812
    nah ****

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Battle of the Englishmen
    By BoyBrumby in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 554
    Last Post: 14-09-2006, 03:43 PM
  2. Battle of the Cricketers
    By Jamee999 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2493
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 05:30 PM
  3. Sehwag attacks fellow batsmen for defeat
    By FaaipDeOiad in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 09:29 PM
  4. Goodnight fellow posters
    By Craig in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-11-2003, 09:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •