• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My fellow Englishmen...

English? Pleased the crims are looking less than rancid?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Have to say I am in danger of being afflicted by this, for one I would have at one point found it unthinkable that I would want them to beat India but think I will this winter. In fact I could find myself quite liking Australia if they stay at their current level, a sort of England of the past like side, full of players who I find likeable who perform admirably on occasion and dreadfully on others.

Think they will rather better than that though which is a shame but certainly no bad thing for cricket. There are players, Mitch being chief amongst them that I genuinely like in a way that I never could previous generation (Warne and Gilchrist aside) because they will never be so relentlessly brilliant.
Have also always liked Michael Clarke since he played for Hampshire so would be pleased to see him prove his critics at home wrong.
So basically, you like certain Australian players because they remind you of the good old England days? :ph34r:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I am most definitely not suffering from this.
:detective

Johnson is playing like a genuine ****ing legend with the willow. Unbelievable innings. Just the way he's played his shots has been superb, classy and calm.
&, whilst not strictly a pom, Furball seemed to be rooting for the green and gold too:

Cummins either has ice running through his veins or he doesn't know what he's doing. What a leave!

And 4! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!
Insidious creeping tide of pro-Australianess from CW's UK readers IMHO.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
HTFU, English fans. We gave you nothing when you were ****, expect nothing in return when normal service is resumed if the entire English teams get hit by a bus. Failing that, in 10 years, YOU ARE GOING DOWN.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Nah, you're not claiming that. 'Twas a mere combination of Anti-Saffism and Pro-AwesomeTestism* masquerading as Pro-Australianism at the time.

Plus, Johnson was playing like a fricking legend. It was scarcely believable.

*Which usually takes over everything else to a silly extent

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
&, whilst not strictly a pom, Furball seemed to be rooting for the green and gold too:
Australia winning a Test in South Africa guarantees England's number 1 ranking from now until we play again. Ergo, I'm more than happy for them to take a Test. And South Africa are just really, really dislikeable.

Besides, whilst Australia continuing to be crap and getting spanked 5-0 in 2013 would be hilarious, as I'm not quite of the cricketing vintage of a lot of you, having only really seriously followed England since the summer of 2003, I have a lot less Ashes related demons that need exorcising. A 10-match series between a number 1 ranked England side and a resurgent Australia sitting at number 2 (a reversal of what we had in the lead up to 2005) would be absolutely epic viewing, so part of me would quite like Australia to come good again.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd be quite happy for the convicts to lose to NZ then bounce back by beating India. Glad they won today as GF says, it means we are number 1 when we next play and the number 1 ranking is ours to lose now.

Still think Australia are an ordinary side and if they can draw away against the side ranked number 2 it makes me wonder what England would do to SA.

Jacknife

International Captain
I'd be quite happy for the convicts to lose to NZ then bounce back by beating India. Glad they won today as GF says, it means we are number 1 when we next play and the number 1 ranking is ours to lose now.

Still think Australia are an ordinary side and if they can draw away against the side ranked number 2 it makes me wonder what England would do to SA.
Yes pretty much, I had to take a shower after wanting Oz to win that last test match, it felt horribly wrong and I hope it's the last time it happens.

SA to me are a better team on paper than they are on the field, they very rarely live up to their billing imo.

It was really enjoyable to watch Johnson do something with the bat today because you know that it's going to be enough to keep him in the side for that bit longer, till his next performance in 5 or 6 tests time and the whole cycle starts again, till he rolls up in England for the next Ashes.

Its pretty much a myth about us and the Aussies being all up each others throat's all the time. We have a couple of memorable moments amongst our players in the field but as far as fans goes I think most of us are pretty friendly with each other. I have seen more hate from both our countries when its a series involving India.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Actually wanted SA to win that series, want our series against them next year to be a proper battle between the two best sides in the world like this summer was supposed to be.

Anyway still liking this Australian side, hilarious watching them get out for 47 but also enjoy them doing well, will like them a good deal less if Mitch is finally dumped though, such fun.

Midwinter

State Captain
When we stop picking a team that has three batsman and one bowler, watch out.

Instead of too many who "are murdering them in the nets" or "are important to the team".

The myth of Australians being intolerant of defeat and ruthless in the pursuit of victory has been well and truly shattered hasn't it.

Enjoy it while you can, youse blokes. :)