• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Surprisingly Quick For A Part-Timer

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Inspired by this post about Greg Blewett--
Damn! I almost forgot he used to bowl as well and quite decently. Lad was surprisingly quick for a part-timer, IIRC.
Who are other part-timers who bowled at a decent lick?

Of modern English players, Ravi Bopara seems to have added a yard of pace in the last season or two but, given I cant accept him as an all-rounder, the quickest is probably Luke Wright

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Ishant Sharma goes up to the 140s at times
:laugh: Yeah, has a mean bouncer for a part-timer too!

On topic, Goughy, Ponting was nippy enough on a few occasions. Never seen him live, but from videos, Karsan Ghavri looked quicker than Kapil. Although I am not sure how much of the bowling burden he shouldered.

What do you, as a pace bowling coach, make of Blewett's action? Something in there to produce that extra yard or two from seemingly nowhere?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What do you, as a pace bowling coach, make of Blewett's action? Something in there to produce that extra yard or two from seemingly nowhere?
I have memories of him bowling but Id need some footage to try and dissect it. I cant find any at the moment. You have any links?

JBMAC

State Captain
Ken Mackay, Doug Walters,Gary Gilmour, Ricky ponting and Steve Waugh to name a few. Each were classed as medium paced bowlers but all had a bouncer and that faster ball in their armoury

Andre

International Regular
Mark Waugh's meds used to be reasonably quick, reckon he was as sharp or slightly sharper than Blewett.

Craig McMillan was reasonable for a part-timer too, bowled a heavy bouncer in particular.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I have memories of him bowling but Id need some footage to try and dissect it. I cant find any at the moment. You have any links?
This is one I could find. Not the best one though. I'd try to see if Rob has uploaded some of Blewett's bowling on his channel

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Rikki Clark? can remember him getting in to high 130s, although his bowling was not the best.

From SL I could only think of Asanka Gurusinghe. Had a crap action, but when he got it right might have gone up to mid 80s, by the way the ball used to fly.

Howsie

International Captain
Jesse Ryder can get them through when he wants too, I remember a game against India a few years ago where he was constantly in the high 130's, was genuinely beating batsmen for pace.

Shame he'd much rather stroll in and lob down 120K pies instead however.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is one I could find. Not the best one though. I'd try to see if Rob has uploaded some of Blewett's bowling on his channel
Was talking about that test earlier. One thing I can't remember though is what the hell happened to Craig McDermott? I know he was injury prone, but injured between the toss and taking the field for the 2nd innings?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There's always going to be the age-old "problem" with part-timers that if they get any good at all they'll become batting all-rounders.

Craig White is onesuch; started as a batsman who bowled very occasional offspin (for Yorks in 1992 he bowled 3 overs in 19 FC games, for instance), switched to seam-up and was soon sending the nut down at 90mph despite a leisurely lope of a run-up thanks to that shoulder of his. Then bingo, he's playing tests as an all-rounder.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's always going to be the age-old "problem" with part-timers that if they get any good at all they'll become batting all-rounders.

Craig White is onesuch; started as a batsman who bowled very occasional offspin (for Yorks in 1992 he bowled 3 overs in 19 FC games, for instance), switched to seam-up and was soon sending the nut down at 90mph despite a leisurely lope of a run-up thanks to that shoulder of his. Then bingo, he's playing tests as an all-rounder.
Beat me too it with White. Became a respectable all rounder in the end and considering he didn't bowl quickly till he was in his early 20's to get to 90mph is a bit remarkable.