• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Surprisingly Quick For A Part-Timer

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mark Butcher and Gooch notable England part timers
Both good part timers, but not quick by any stretch of the imagination. Could both get some significant swing off the ball, but probably only bowing mid-60mph. Quite enjoyed watching both bowl though as it was a bit of a different challenge for the batsman from the norm.

Sylvester

State Captain
Mitch Marsh although he is known as an all rounder, he started off his career through his batting. Hits the 140km/h mark.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Both good part timers, but not quick by any stretch of the imagination. Could both get some significant swing off the ball, but probably only bowing mid-60mph. Quite enjoyed watching both bowl though as it was a bit of a different challenge for the batsman from the norm.
Yeah, AWTA. That's what you want from your part-timers; something that's a completely different challenge for the batsmen than the rest of your attack. Butcher was never going to be a frontline bowler in professional cricket but I reckon he had more value as a part-timer in Tests than someone like Luke Wright would (for example) as he wasn't just a lesser version of the bowlers already playing. It's why I always liked Katich as a part-timer, and quite liked the cutters Collingwood bowled right near the end of his career.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, AWTA. That's what you want from your part-timers; something that's a completely different challenge for the batsmen than the rest of your attack. Butcher was never going to be a frontline bowler in professional cricket but I reckon he had more value as a part-timer in Tests than someone like Luke Wright would (for example) as he wasn't just a lesser version of the bowlers already playing. It's why I always liked Katich as a part-timer, and quite liked the cutters Collingwood bowled right near the end of his career.
Definitely. Scott Styris too.

Didn't work out for Derek Pringle or Ronnie Irani though. :ph34r:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon if Kieron Pollard bends his back a little he can reach register much higher speeds. But I'm assuming we're talking about cricketers here so I guess he doesn't count :ph34r: