• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Surprisingly Quick For A Part-Timer

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wally Hammond was supposed to be as quick as anyone on his day, wasn't he?
In his youth he was quite sharp by all accounts, although I think his reputation for pace was enhanced by that pretty ordinary Australian mini-series that was done about 25 years ago - one of the mistakes they made was not to use footage from the series so you actually had the actors doing the bowling scenes - the bloke who played Hammond was clearly the only cricketer amongst them - the bloke who played Larwood, clearly not a bad actor overall, but he was no fast bowler - as it was Australian made he was probably cast in the role for that very reason :ph34r:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Not a true part-timer by any stretch, but Jacques Kallis was very quick during his early years. I recall around the 1999 World Cup he was close to the top five fastest bowlers in the world at the time.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Not a true part-timer by any stretch, but Jacques Kallis was very quick during his early years. I recall around the 1999 World Cup he was close to the top five fastest bowlers in the world at the time.
AWTA. Unbelievably quick in that match against SL, and was the quickest bowler of that match. And Donald played that match too.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What do you, as a pace bowling coach, make of Blewett's action? Something in there to produce that extra yard or two from seemingly nowhere?
He gets his feet into what I believe to be the perfect position for a fast bowler. Many disagree but the majority is diminishing as more are coming around to my, and some others, way of thinking.

His back foot lands parallel to the crease, his left leg points to point and them swings all the way across and lands pointing at the batsman perpendicular to the crease. The back foot and the front foot are at a 45 degree angle to each other. This enable complete rotation of the hips.

Ie His left hip points at the batsman when the back foot lands and, due to full rotation, he is 'square' at the point of delivery. He isnt particularly aggressive in the swing of his left leg but his feet, and therefore hips, are very good for generating pace. He also has a strong, solid left leg for him to pivot over.

This rotation can be seen by how quickly he gets off the track and pulls to the left. That isnt ideal but it illustrates where the pace comes from. His problems come from the fact that his upper body doesnt match his feet. He has a 'mixed' action. You shouldnt have a 'sideways on' upper body if your feet are in that position. The upper body looks strong but is going in a different direction to the feet which leads to the lack of control in his follow through and undue stresses in the delivery. Of course, we would change the upper body now to fit the feet but he hasnt. I know little of his later career but his mixed action makes him a candidate for back problems.

So, in conclusion, his feet are in a great position for generating pace but he is probably capable of getting an extra yard by committing more aggressively though the crease but his top and bottom halves are not working together.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember watching the Vaughan one live, Ponting was all over him and deserved the wicket. He should have bowled far more than he has, particularly in that 2005 Ashes series when the 3rd seamer was getting pummelled. Also in ODIs you'd think he could do a decent job, would have thought he's a better bowler than some of the part-timers Australia have used - Mike Hussey definitely.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Top stuff, Goughy. Thanks so much for your insight.

Ie His left hip points at the batsman when the back foot lands and, due to full rotation, he is 'square' at the point of delivery
Of course, we would change the upper body now to fit the feet but he hasnt.
Implying that you'd get him to open up his upper body more and get front-on? Wouldn't that in any way affect his natural rhythm and ability to let go off the ball (from his palm) where he desires? I had some control issues when I tried to open up my action in the past and decided to stick with what I had.

I have been reading a lot about mixed actions being stressful understandably due to the trunk having to twist to accomodate that counter-rotation. I fall in that category too - upper body very side-on with a slightly mixed action. Can you give me a good example of a fully side-on action? Hadlee, perhaps! :wacko:

P.S.: If the mods so desire, we can take this discussion seperately. Please let me know.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I remember watching the Vaughan one live, Ponting was all over him and deserved the wicket. He should have bowled far more than he has, particularly in that 2005 Ashes series when the 3rd seamer was getting pummelled. Also in ODIs you'd think he could do a decent job, would have thought he's a better bowler than some of the part-timers Australia have used - Mike Hussey definitely.
Think he had back problems or I suspect he'd have bowled a lot more than he did.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig McMillan was reasonable for a part-timer too, bowled a heavy bouncer in particular.
His was the first name that came to my mind as well.

Thought he was about 15kph faster than he was, though, of course.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Had he not been batting at 3, would definitely been asking Ponting to turn the arm over more often.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Top stuff, Goughy. Thanks so much for your insight.

Implying that you'd get him to open up his upper body more and get front-on? Wouldn't that in any way affect his natural rhythm and ability to let go off the ball (from his palm) where he desires? I had some control issues when I tried to open up my action in the past and decided to stick with what I had.

I have been reading a lot about mixed actions being stressful understandably due to the trunk having to twist to accomodate that counter-rotation. I fall in that category too - upper body very side-on with a slightly mixed action. Can you give me a good example of a fully side-on action? Hadlee, perhaps! :wacko:

P.S.: If the mods so desire, we can take this discussion seperately. Please let me know.
Im going to backtrack slightly from my comments about mixed actions for 4 reasons
- I think the issue can sometimes be overblown
- I am making an educated guess where the front foot of Blewett is landing in the footage as it is impossible to see for sure
- Side on and open feet is, IMHO, not as dangerous as the other way around ala Flintoff. What Blewett is doing isnt too bad and I dont want to over exaggerate it.
- Also, I dont want my main point about his feet being in a good position for generating pace to be lost in the comments about a mixed action.

Re: 'side on' bowlers-- They usually land continue their natural body rotation by pivoting around the front foot. The foot points towards fine leg. This is pretty organic as everything is moving in the same direction complimenting each other See Trueman below. When the feet are closed and the body open the top and the bottom are going different directions and fighting each other.

robelinda

Viv Richards was a decent medium pacer before he changed to off spin. I'm sure I have some Viv bowling in one of my WI videos.

NasserFan207

Younis Khan wasn't nearly as bad as I'd have thought he'd be tbf

Mark Butcher and Gooch notable England part timers

Gatting not bad either