• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daryl Tuffey brewery takes aim at Pakistanis

angad

U19 12th Man
Daryl Tuffey brewery takes aim at Pakistanis

An Auckland brewery's marketing campaign fronted by Black Caps star Daryl Tuffey has been labelled "offensive" and "insulting".

The Moa Brewing Co which recently signed a sponsorship deal with the New Zealand Olympic Committee has launched a new campaign dubbed "The Moa Pakistani Backhander"'.

Its marketing, which is signed off by Tuffey, described it as a "Genuine all-rounder for Moa Beer". :laugh: It also details an offer to consumers for one free case of beer for every 10 purchased.

It likens the deal to numerous incidents involving match-fixing scandals featuring the Pakistan cricket team.

But it has been slated by Dunedin-based former Pakistan cricket international, Kahlid 'Billy' Ibadulla.

"I think the whole campaign is in a very bad taste. It does not reflect well on New Zealand," Ibadulla says.

"It is quite insulting and quite offensive. That's my view."

He said of Tuffey's involvement: "It is disappointing, especially coming from a former test player. It will not reflect very well on New Zealand Cricket."

Tuffey and the Moa Brewing Co both stood by the campaign, saying it was based on proven facts.

"We are not out to offend anyone," says Tuffey, who has been employed by the brewery for the past two months.

"In some ways, after what has happened over the past two years [the campaign] is not too far from the truth to be honest. They [Pakistan] have set the benchmark really ... it is unfortunate that two or three of their players have been done over the last 12 months.

"It has been etched into cricket that the Pakistanis are rolling around match-fixing."

When asked if it could result in an on-field backlash next time he plays Pakistan, Tuffey says: "If I get a few extra bouncers because someone in Karachi or Lahore has heard about the Moa campaign, then we have done pretty well with Moa.

"We just hope they buy our beer so they can bowl me a couple of bouncers. If they are drinking our beer it is even better."

Moa Brewing Co marketing manager Sunil Unka added the brewery did not set out to "offend anyone".

He says that it had been "successful in drumming up new business for us".

"We are basing a lot of the stuff we do on fact," Unka says. "Unfortunately, there were Pakistani cricketers who were found guilty of match-fixing."

The online brewery advert states: "Pakistanis love cricket and they love making money. Sometimes they combine the two with a good old Pakistani Match Fix so that the Black Caps get to win a game and the Pakistanis get a big cheque from the TAB.

"It's a win-win all round and we here at Moa love the business principles behind it, which is why we're offering a Pakistani Backhander of our own.

"So for every 10 cases of Moa ordered, the contact person who does the ordering, that's you, gets 10 per cent of the match fee - a free case of Moa beer for themselves that we don't tell anyone about.

"Is this ethical? No. Is it Pakistani? Yes!"

The Moa Brewery Co has its brewery in Blenheim and head office in Auckland.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Oh God......the print on the ad is quite hilarious...i don't know about the others but I find it quite funny :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
That's hilarious :laugh:

The more crap that those 3 fixers get the better it is. The betrayed their country and fans so they deserve everything rotten (except jail - a bit over the top).

My only problem with this is that Afridi is shown in the picture, but he wasn't involved with the fixing.

angad

U19 12th Man
That's hilarious :laugh:

The more crap that those 3 fixers get the better it is. The betrayed their country and fans so they deserve everything rotten (except jail - a bit over the top).

My only problem with this is that Afridi is shown in the picture, but he wasn't involved with the fixing.
and Younus Khan too, its same SF vs India Sachin catch that he dropped.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah Afridi shouldn't have been placed in the ad. Can Afridi sue them on this.

Agree with Cevno. Might be distasteful but I must say it is bloody hilarious :laugh:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Bad taste tbh. I'd be offended if I was Pakistani. Then again I'd probably still laugh considering who its specifically aimed at.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't wanna be too precious, but we haven't even touched on the ethics of using players from a predominantly Muslim country to flog alcohol yet.