• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What makes a good bowler?

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Eclipse said:
I must say Gilly more often than not will make you pay for bowling with width outside off but yeah it's worth a try once or twice early in his innings if you are brave enough.

And why in the hell do some bowlers always bowl short to Gilly I mean Andrew Caddick for example that moron trys to bounce him every time he plays against him and never has any success.
The only bowler i have seen getting gilcrist out most of the time early in the innings is wasim akram, he knows his weak side as he does for most of the batsman. He is a pure genius in my defination. Not all bowlers know about it including Caddick.

LankanPrince

School Boy/Girl Captain
I admit that Gilchrist is a destructive batsman but he has a general weakness against quality left armers such as Akram, Vaas and spinners such as Murali. He gets very impatient if you bowl consistent line and length with very little width. All batsman have their weaknesses which don't require a genius bowler to exploit them. One very funny example was in World Cup 2003 when Sachin was about to get his hundred in the semis. When he saw that Aravinda was on to bowl his gentle off spinners he was so arrogant and played such a stupid reverse sweep and got out. Even though we lost the match I will remember that classic moment of stupidity and impatience by the so called 'Little Master'.:P

godofcricket

State 12th Man
LankanPrince said:
I admit that Gilchrist is a destructive batsman but he has a general weakness against quality left armers such as Akram, Vaas and spinners such as Murali. He gets very impatient if you bowl consistent line and length with very little width. All batsman have their weaknesses which don't require a genius bowler to exploit them. One very funny example was in World Cup 2003 when Sachin was about to get his hundred in the semis. When he saw that Aravinda was on to bowl his gentle off spinners he was so arrogant and played such a stupid reverse sweep and got out. Even though we lost the match I will remember that classic moment of stupidity and impatience by the so called 'Little Master'.:P
I guess i haven't even seen any left armer getting gilcrist out more times than akram.....And i wasn't calling akram genius just because he gets gilcrist out, that wouldn't make any bowler a genius.......Akram is a genius in a sense that hes got more variations than any bowler, which a batsman is unable to exploit. If u think its so easy to find a batsman weakness than why do u think most bowlers fail against gilcrist???

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I guess i haven't even seen any left armer getting gilcrist out more times than akram
I have. I still remember Allan Mullally knocking over Gilchrist regularly bowled through the gate in the 1998-99 season. Gough got him bowled a few times too by bowling around the wicket.

Gilchrist has since fixed that gap somewhat but just occasionally, one still gets through. Still, nothing new for lefties; Allan Border had the same problem for most of his career.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Top_Cat said:
I have. I still remember Allan Mullally knocking over Gilchrist regularly bowled through the gate in the 1998-99 season. Gough got him bowled a few times too by bowling around the wicket.

Gilchrist has since fixed that gap somewhat but just occasionally, one still gets through. Still, nothing new for lefties; Allan Border had the same problem for most of his career.
Mullally managed to get him in Australian pitches but he failed in england against him. and I ceratainly do think gilcrist has fixed the gap but that didn't seem to matter Akram as he still got him consistently for the last 2 to 3 years....

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
LankanPrince said:
All batsman have their weaknesses which don't require a genius bowler to exploit them.
First of all i dont think this statement makes much sense because if it was so easy for any bowler to find a weakness in a batsman then i dont think there would be any batsman who could score much against any bowler.

It is not that easy to bowl at quality and destructive players like Gilchrist and it does take a true geniuos to get rid of them in style like Akram used to. To know a weakness is one thing and to exploit it is totally another. You need a bowlers like Wasim who know how to bowl and where exactly to bowl and when to bowl. Not many bowlers are good enough to carry that out.

One very funny example was in World Cup 2003 when Sachin was about to get his hundred in the semis. When he saw that Aravinda was on to bowl his gentle off spinners he was so arrogant and played such a stupid reverse sweep and got out. Even though we lost the match I will remember that classic moment of stupidity and impatience by the so called 'Little Master'.:P
Secondly, your example doesnt make any sense as its irrelevant to ur previous statements. So basically your theory is something else and u give an example of something totally different.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gough often used to go around the wicket at Gilchrist - without a doubt it's a better option coming from the left side of the wicket (from the Gilchrist view) but the fielders still have to take the catches.
You don't take your catches against Gilchrist you ain't got a chance. You do - you've got a better one, but still no gurantee.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Now days Gilchrist does not get out very often to bowlers coming around the wicket but it does slow him down if you can keep the ball on offstump.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, that slows most batsmen down.:)
Not too many bowlers have the skill to do it, and the margin-for-error against Gilchrist is smaller than for some.