Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a good bowler?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by JohnnyA
    MaGrath plays to his limitations brilliantly:

He adjusts his pace very subtley.
    He's tall and bowls from a great angle stump to stump.
    He adjusts his line ... moving in and out outside the off stump, much like a baseball pitcher controlling the inside and outside of the plate.
    He always maintains pressure.
    He can cut he ball either way.
    He can reverse-swing the ball.
    He has a great short pitched delivery that is always 5 mph faster than normal.
    He can bowl long spells because he has the most economical and mechanically sound action in world cricket (hence few injuries) ...
    He's the perfect 80 mph bowler

Jon
    Interesting - I've never seen McGrath reverse-swing the ball.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

He adjusts his pace very subtley.
    He's tall and bowls from a great angle stump to stump.
    He adjusts his line ... moving in and out outside the off stump, much like a baseball pitcher controlling the inside and outside of the plate.
    He always maintains pressure.
    He can cut he ball either way.
    He can reverse-swing the ball.
    He has a great short pitched delivery that is always 5 mph faster than normal.
    He can bowl long spells because he has the most economical and mechanically sound action in world cricket (hence few injuries) ...
    He's the perfect 80 mph bowler

Jon
    No thats not it, Mcgrath takes time to adjust his line, if he gets a four from his first delivery than he can never recover in the same over, he might do in the next over. But his line can easily be distracted, few examples are Razzaq(pak) hit him for five fours in one over. He finally managed to bowl a yorker in the last bowl. i have seen Tendulkar and many class batsman do the same thing to him many times. He gets confused when his line is distracted.and i have never seen him bowl good yorkers in the final overs. That doesn't make him a perfect bowler, does it?? In my defination a perfect fast bowler is the one who can be used at any stage of the game. Like Marshall...a good example.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Originally posted by Richard
    Then maybe you should look a little closer:O

Originally posted by iamdavid
    Then maybe you should look a little closer:O
    I will do so (provided McGrath plays this winter).

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    I'd say it would be one who gets wickets quickly and cheaply...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Originally posted by godofcricket
    No thats not it, Mcgrath takes time to adjust his line, if he gets a four from his first delivery than he can never recover in the same over, he might do in the next over. But his line can easily be distracted, few examples are Razzaq(pak) hit him for five fours in one over. He finally managed to bowl a yorker in the last bowl. i have seen Tendulkar and many class batsman do the same thing to him many times. He gets confused when his line is distracted.and i have never seen him bowl good yorkers in the final overs. That doesn't make him a perfect bowler, does it?? In my defination a perfect fast bowler is the one who can be used at any stage of the game. Like Marshall...a good example.
    I said he was the perfect 80 mph bowler I'm not saying he's infallable. No bowler is. Any bowler can be got at. But he, and Pollock are proof that it's control, subtle changes in movement line and length, and bounce that matters, not raw pace.

He can reverse the ball. I don't know how many times I've seen McGrath pulverise that line outside off sump, then dart one back in ... ask Graeme Hick and Mike Atherton if he can reverse the ball.

Sure Vaughn got on top of him, as have Tendulkar and Lara. But these are class players. You can't keep them down forever. And McGrath has gotten them all out plenty of times himself ... don't forget that.
    EMAIL: johnnya24@yahoo.co.uk

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: What makes a good bowler?

Hinds is given out when hit on the shoulder and the helmet.
    I think that that tour possibly prevented Hinds from reaching his full potential in his career. I don't think he will ever be in the kind of good form he was in on that tour. He was on fire and yet he repeatedly got poor decisions (especially LBW if memory serves correctly) in the Tests. Highly unfortunate, escpecially when you hear Botham, Chappell and the like praising his batting in the county games.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Apart from the many things people have posted, another important thing is control.
    "D'oh!"

Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    Agreed, Taking wickets is the most important part of being a bowler.
    Signatures are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.
    Cricket Web Red
    FC:
    263 Matches. 1830 Runs @ 7.66. HS: 57*. 92 Ducks. 170 Catches
    1107 Wickets @ 26.91 . BB 7/38
    First CW player to reach 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1100 FC wickets

Originally posted by David
    Agreed, Taking wickets is the most important part of being a bowler.
    Yeah .. but it's how you get them that counts in the long run. Vaughn picked up Tendulkar with an excellent ball last year. Does that mean he's a top class bowler? Is he better than other spinners who have had problems with Sachin?

Quality and ability tells in the long run ... wickets are just the consequence of this attributes.

Skills before results!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    Far too simple.
    You can't judge a bowler on statistics - just because someone's got a good economy-rate and strike-rate doesn't mean they deserve them.
    Skills before results
    I couldn't agree more with this.
    Last edited by Richard; 26-10-2003 at 09:54 AM.

Re: Re: Re: Re: What makes a good bowler?

Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    I think that that tour possibly prevented Hinds from reaching his full potential in his career. I don't think he will ever be in the kind of good form he was in on that tour. He was on fire and yet he repeatedly got poor decisions (especially LBW if memory serves correctly) in the Tests. Highly unfortunate, escpecially when you hear Botham, Chappell and the like praising his batting in the county games.
    Very, very true - he batted superbly in some county games (if I'm not mistaken he made one career-best) and in the first-innings of that Second Test, he had one spell where he looked quite unstoppable. After a period where Gough and Cork got at him a bit, he came through and played some strokes, off Gough and White especially, that sure took the breath away. The power of the man was something I've never seen the like before or since. One stroke off White was the hardest hit I've ever seen, and I've seen a few (don't know if you remember that).
    Then he got a decision that seemed rather dicey (no-one noticed, but Cork seemed to lack conviction in the appeal, and because it was a goodish ball and his 100th Test wicket no-one seemed to take any notice) to continue West Indies' collapse, and that one in the second-innings, then he was made to open in the one-day series, then he got a poor lbw in the next innings at Old Trafford. From then on, though, he was worked-out, and was a big lbw candidate. He can play the short-ball better than some from the Caribbean, but bowl him an inswinger and he didn't have a clue.
    I then noticed in Australia that he had practised the Griffith leave. However, after the SCG Test he hasn't been used in Tests as anything but an opener.
    A huge shame and, in my view, a big waste of a talented player.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    What makes a good bowler? The ability to get batsmen out does the trick, usually anyway. Worked for me.

Out of sheer morbid curiosity, what's the overall highest played level here? Call me arrogant, pig-headed or whatever but in my experience, those who have the most to say on this sort of thing have usually played church league cricket or lower. The basics are there for a reason but when you come up against decent batsmen, you need something a little extra to succeed. For most it's heart, for others t's innovation but for very few is it merely good technique.

Let me be blunt; there's no hard-and-fast method to allow you get wickets. Debate after debate can be had on the subject but when it comes time to bowl to a guy set on 80-odd on the flattest pitch you've ever seen, I'm afraid all the schooling and theory in the world won't help you.

Incidentally, I played for South Australian U/15's, 17's, 19's and was in the Australian U/17's and just missed the U/19's squad for reasons I won't bore you with (the general theme in the reasons are 'sustainable career') as an opening bowler.

Yeah I never saw Syd Barnes do the same but then, I never saw him bowl either. Picking a parallel here?
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Yeah .. but it's how you get them that counts in the long run. Vaughn picked up Tendulkar with an excellent ball last year. Does that mean he's a top class bowler? Is he better than other spinners who have had problems with Sachin?
    Come off it, he didn't deserve the wicket since the ball could easily have been hit by SRT.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Far too simple.
    You can't judge a bowler on statistics - just because someone's got a good economy-rate and strike-rate doesn't mean they deserve them.
    Can you please get your story right?

One minute you say the only way you can judge players is on statistics, now you say you can't.

If a bowler has a good economy rate and strike-rate, he must be doing something right.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information