• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nasser Hussain calls Indians donkeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusion

Global Moderator
It's a cultural thing. It's generally harmless to use that term in the West to describe someone; while in the sub-continent it carries more sting as an insult. Let's not be an ass and blow this into a huge controversy. :ph34r:

Bun

Banned
I really don't understand selective application of culture. If someone calls someone monkey, it's racism, But it's acceptable to call donkey.

I personally found it hilarious because I don't believe Nasser intended in a really derogatory fashion. Still the bias is evident.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Michael Vaughan is a legend

"Just seen that Nasser said the Indians have a couple of Donkeys in the field... How wrong can he be!!!! I have seen at least 4...."

Howe_zat

Audio File
How pathetic. When did we suddenly give a so much of a **** about one arsey thing one sodding commentator has said? On and on and ****ing on for weeks.

Maybe when the Times of India or whatever ****rag that's decided to take a dummy-spitting stand this week has finished pouring over three seconds of Youtubed sky footage that have got them so worked up, they'll come onto CW and start being utterly horrified by some of the things Indian fans have been rightly saying about the fat ****s they call players these days. Put down the effigy and piss off you pile of pathetically precious pissing pansies and leave us to our ire in peace.

Oh and BCCI, maybe you can decide you might have actually done something wrong for once instead of lashing out against any criticism that comes your way, and actually take a look at the joke of a tour you've sent this lot on, maybe then you can start taking the high ground when someone decides they'll give an opinion on a sport they're expected to have an opinion on. Of course I don't expect you to seriously take action on the fact that your only hopes of winning a Test series here took a month off to prepare - and still couldn't last half a session into it - because yelling about how mean to you Michael Vaughan's tweets are is a damn sight easier. *****.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
I really don't understand selective application of culture. If someone calls someone monkey, it's racism, But it's acceptable to call donkey.

I personally found it hilarious because I don't believe Nasser intended in a really derogatory fashion. Still the bias is evident.
The bolded part is key. If Hussain didn't mean it as a derogatory term, then surely there should be no outrage. Monkeygate is not a valid comparison IMHO. The parties involved there knew by then that the term was derogatory. Besides, if you are specifically referencing Harby (as opposed to the Indian crowds), then he denied saying it in the first place. Therefore your argument about bias doesn't fly here.

Daemon

Harby knew it was derogatory? I remember how none of me or my family members/friends (being ignorant) knew that calling someone of his descent a monkey would be offensive.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Bonkers how there seems to have been so much outrage about Hussain throughout this series. The most pro-India commentator we have, has always talked them up and is a real fan as far as I can see.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Harby knew it was derogatory? I remember how none of me or my family members/friends (being ignorant) knew that calling someone of his descent a monkey would be offensive.
You've got to be kidding me. Harby wouldn't know the term was offensive after what happened during Australia's tour of India in Oct 2007? There was huge controversy about the crowd taunting Symonds with that term and monkey chants. I believe some members of the crowd were even arrested or kicked out of the stadium. There was even talk that Harby had called Symonds a monkey during the 5th ODI, but that the matter was settled privately between the two after the match. You may not have known the term was derogatory by the time the Sydney test was played, but there is absolutely no doubt that Harby did. Why else would he have denied saying it after the match? Otherwise his defense could've been "yeah I said it, but I I didn't know it was offensive".

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Opinion of a random YouTuber:

I think it was a fairly well balanced comment - a few good fielders along with couple of donkeys, no bias either in favor or against one particular group. It also shows greater level of harmony, team spirit and accommodating environment of Indian team where both humans & donkeys can co-exist peacefully and come together to achieve common goals.

Daemon

You've got to be kidding me. Harby wouldn't know the term was offensive after what happened during Australia's tour of India in Oct 2007? There was huge controversy about the crowd taunting Symonds with that term and monkey chants. I believe some members of the crowd were even arrested or kicked out of the stadium. There was even talk that Harby had called Symonds a monkey during the 5th ODI, but that the matter was settled privately between the two after the match. You may not have known the term was derogatory by the time the Sydney test was played, but there is absolutely no doubt that Harby did. Why else would he have denied saying it after the match? Otherwise his defense could've been "yeah I said it, but I I didn't know it was offensive".
Calm down lol. I really didn't know about all this. Started watching cricket seriously just a couple years back.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
"Donkey" is derogatory, but certainly has no racist connotations that I'm aware of.

For years English football grounds rang out with "Adams is a donkey" whenever (ex Arsenal & England captain) Tony Adams played there*. We use it to mean clumsy, awkward or leadenfooted. "Carthorse" is used synonymously.

*As an aside, after Tone scored the only goal in our 1993 FA semi win over Arsenal's hated local rivals and all-round ****s T*ttenham, I used to have a "Donkey wins the derby" tee shirt. :happy:

flibbertyjibber

:laugh: How precious and pathetic are they being over a correct comment. Man up and take it on the chins you fat bunch of slow wheelie bins.

Jacknife

International Captain
They mentioned it on SKY yesterday, saying it had been talked about in the Indian Parliament and I couldn't believe what I was hearing, they really can't have anything better to talk about, which is strange for a country of a billion plus people. It appears some people will take offense to anything and everything no matter how it was said and under what circumstances it was.

Bun

Banned
They mentioned it on SKY yesterday, saying it had been talked about in the Indian Parliament and I couldn't believe what I was hearing, they really can't have anything better to talk about, which is strange for a country of a billion plus people. It appears some people will take offense to anything and everything no matter how it was said and under what circumstances it was.
You'd be surprised to know what actually happens inside our parliament.

TBF, the donkey usage is derogatory and uncalled for. Calling someone donkey in India would earn a massive slap on face quite instantaneously. Considering Hussain was broadcasting on an Indian channel airing to Indian public mainly, if he'd a rat's maturity to think before talk, he'd have done well to avoid that usage.

I do not think it was racist

BTW lol @ posts asking to take it in the chin and all that. People who have zero idea about tolerance may be able to identify with that.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
some times we make things bigger than what they actually are...remember, during that bhajji-symonds segment, on behalf of the indian board it was said that calling someone 'monkey' is not racial in india, so it should not be taken that way...similarly, calling someone donkey in england might not be as serious as it is in india...there is no reason to go far with this in my opinion...but at the same time, a commentator should be more careful about his or her use of words and avoid unnecessary conflicts such as this...

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, he knew it was deragotary but i don't think he said it or there was any evidence at all to say he said it.
He allegedly said Teri Maa Ki which is a abuse in hindi, which tbh i would find more deragotary than the actual " Monkey " term,which is again where culture's come in.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Let's please not draw false comparisons between two situations that aren't analogus.

At no point did Harbhajan admit to calling Symonds a monkey, which, if one were cynically minded, would suggest he was aware it was a racist epiphet. If memory serves his defence was that he used a word that sounded like "monkey".

In this instance there's no doubt Nasser did suggest the Indian fielders are donkeys and, in the context of how it was meant, it's a viewpoint most observers would surely concur with. India does have some fieldsmen who are not of the first water.

Status
Not open for further replies.