• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Was the Most Exiting Hour of Test Cricket For You?

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
for me, it's the first test between India and Australia in that 1999 series...it was India's first innings and Dravid and Tendulkar were batting, and the bowlers were Mcgrath and Warne...after the openers got out without much contribution, Dravid and Tendulkar did manage to recover the situation a little bit, and then came that hour, in which in 8 consecutive overs, not a single run was scored, 4 from Mcgrath and 4 from Warne, one could see that something was going to happen, being an Indian supporter i was hoping for an over pitched or short pitched ball or something going down to the pads...but nothing of that sort happened, there was not a single scoring opportunity...and in the 9th over, Warne took Dravid's wicket...remember Steve Waugh in his match review next day mentioned that spell of bowling, and how important that Dravid wicket was...5-6 years later, in an interview, when asked about his first Australian tour failure, Dravid at some point, returned to that dismissal and said that that 35 he got in the 1st innings was very crucial, if he could have converted that 35 into something like 70 or 80 at least, he said, the series might have a little better for him...(that was the most exiting hour of test match cricket for me, so far)

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Those last few moments against Australia when Laxman and Sharma were crawling towards the win. Haven't seen much test cricket so that's all I've got.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
No. It's just telling that he didn't need to specify. That Test is almost certainly the best I've ever seen, and most people here would say the same.
ok, got it...possible
if it is a test match, then i will vote for that eden test between india and australia though, and if it is a series, i will stick with the same india-australia series, ashes 2005 will be second in my list

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
When Dravid and Laxman came together in the 2001 Kolkatta test and then started their mega partnership.
Though in terms of excitement the Last session of the match where Harbhajan and Sachin ran through the Invincible Australian team to end their record run picking up 8 wickets after tea is way ahead.

Also in the last match of that series with everything on the line India just about getting over the line with a target of 155 with 8 wickets down was epic in terms of both tension and excitement -

3rd Test: India v Australia at Chennai, Mar 18-22, 2001 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Even though i was pretty young at the time, still recall it pretty well.

Last edited:

Daemon

Someone to link me to the 05 Edgbaston test. Usually don't give a flying **** about matches that I never watched :p

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably when Pakistan, led by Inzamam, walked off the field at the Oval in 2006.

:ph34r:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I dunno, personally, I'm exiting most at the end of the day, but I have a very weak bladder, but that's the time I also eventually exit the ground. So it's definitely in that hour.

As for exciting, could go for many England moments, including Edgbaston and Adelaide, but as a neutral this will do.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hated Edgbaston, tbh. Was like a slowly unfolding car crash at the time. All our hopes and dreams once again slowly turning to ashes (pun intended).

Now seems like a glorious moment, but didn't enjoy it at all back then.

The Boxing Day test in 2010 was pretty great for an Englishman. Can't decide in the first or second hour was better tho.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I dunno, personally, I'm exiting most at the end of the day, but I have a very weak bladder, but that's the time I also eventually exit the ground. So it's definitely in that hour.

As for exciting, could go for many England moments, including Edgbaston and Adelaide, but as a neutral this will do.
I claim the first "exiting" joke tbh. :p

Hated Edgbaston, tbh. Was like a slowly unfolding car crash at the time. All our hopes and dreams once again slowly turning to ashes (pun intended).

Now seems like a glorious moment, but didn't enjoy it at all back then.

The Boxing Day test in 2010 was pretty great for an Englishman. Can't decide in the first or second hour was better tho.
Yeah was thinking of last year's boxing day. Trouble is, the whole day was incredible and its hard to pick just one hour from it - certainly the best day I've watched, although I didn't watch 2005 at the time.

flibbertyjibber

The last hour of the 4-0 gubbing of India was pretty good too. That collapse was brilliant.

I would think that most top hours of a test are when your side is bowling and the opposition is collapsing. Apart from a Viv Richards hundred and Gilchrist I can't imagine too many batting moments that get you as they generally last longer than an hour. Though the Atherton v Donald battle was good when Athers punched one behind and was given not out.

Last edited: