• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alastair Cook vs Graham Gooch?

Alistar Cook vs Graham Gooch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smash84

The Tiger King
One of his very best innings vs WI was in 1988, he almost batted right through the innings but was last out for 84, at the Oval, magnificent innings. He actually withstood the guys like Ambrose and Walsh, but it was Winston Benjamin who tore through England, i'll try and upload the entire England innings, superb stuff.
Please do. I can't see Alistair Cook standing up to such an attack :happy:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Editing it right now, must see footage! That whole 1988 series was simply awesome, god I loved 80's cricket. The 1991 series was good too, but was sightly less fearsome viewing.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, just stating that Gooch before 1990ish was really ordinary, which all seems to be forgotten about him in his overall career. Yet it was the biggest part of his career.
Gooch versus Terry Alderman was exceedingly ordinary.

Still a billion times better than Michael "The Wicket the Opposition Want to Get" Atherton.

HeathDavisSpeed

I hope you get that copyright claim in your favor Rob. I can't wait for that brutal WI compilation. Fast bowling at its best :cool:
What copyright claim? He hasn't been busted for doing a public service, surely?

Do you have any footage of Mike Atherton being run out at Lords vs. Aussie in 1993? My all time humourous highlight of watching test cricket.

robelinda

What copyright claim? He hasn't been busted for doing a public service, surely?

Do you have any footage of Mike Atherton being run out at Lords vs. Aussie in 1993? My all time humourous highlight of watching test cricket.
Nah the same kid who filed a copyright claim against Justin Beiber did one on me months ago, but now I've filed a counter claim as the kid told me he wouldn't fight it, so i find out this week whether I'm successful, then i can upload long videos on my main channel.

Oh and here's the Atherton vid you wanted

Michael Atherton FAIL on 99 - Run Out vs Australia 2nd test Lord's 1993 ASHES - YouTube

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That brings back the memories. The first test match I saw live at the ground. Nestled in a big group of Aussie fans giving Atherton hell as he walked off, reminding him of Mark Waugh's dismissal for 99 a couple of tests before. Brilliant stuff.
Was the same test actually, Waugh's dismissal for 99.

Taylor, Slter and Boon had all made tons. The headline the next day was "Waugh fails".

HeathDavisSpeed

Was the same test actually, Waugh's dismissal for 99.

Taylor, Slter and Boon had all made tons. The headline the next day was "Waugh fails".
Oh yes! I was only there for days 3 and 4 and missed most of the Aussie batting, but was instead "treated" to an incredible display of blocks, plays and misses from Mike Atherton, Neil Foster and especially the wonderful batting of Andy Caddick and Peter Such.

Athers getting run out on 99 made the test for me. Wonderful, nay, priceless. Also, Merv Hughes doing interacting with us in the crowd. What a legend.

robelinda

Just watched another 80's Gooch classic, in 1991 he played another great attacking innings in the 3rd test, not as mighty as the 154* but this time he went after the bowlers. Will upload later, got a few on the go right now....

Howe_zat

Audio File
With the Cookster having added a remarkable captaincy debut and a fresh set of tons to his CV, has anyone changed their mind?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
At the moment, it's probably tight, but Cook possibly has another decade of Test cricket ahead of him, beyond which this debate will be academic.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
To be fair to the squeaky-voiced, moustachioed one he was undisputably the best batsman in the world for a period in the early 90s, even if it was a relatively brief 18-24 month window. & he was facing some pretty serious bowling attacks too.

Over the course of their careers as a whole it'll look like a total non-brainer, but I'm not sure we've ever been able to call Cook the head honcho so far.