• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alastair Cook vs Graham Gooch?

Alistar Cook vs Graham Gooch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I would say Kim Hughes 100* vs WI in 1981 was equal to that Gooch knock. Absolutely awful up and down pitch on day 1, the bowling attack was a touch more devastating, and it looked like people could get seriously hurt out there. Man that MCG pitch was so terrible in the early 80's, just abysmal. Gooch's knock was a whole other kind of awesome in insane swinging conditions.

L Trumper

State Regular
Headingley 91 : Amidst Gooch's heroics Richards brutal knock in WI 1st innings was easily forgotten, I still think younger Viv would've been stayed in and dominated the attack. No complaints though, given what was followed.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The standing of Gooch's innings was heightened considerably by the fact the WIndies had won the last 10 tests they'd played here and hadn't lost one for 20 odd years - it was an amazing win, but it wasn't really a team effort it was just Gooch

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
His knock a year later at the same ground wasn't too shabby either. Throw in the knock at Kingston and Gooch's career had peaks of excellence against top quality bowling that Cook has yet to demonstrate. Still, Gooch's career peaked quite late and Cook may well be a more effective accumulator of runs over his career,

grecian

graham gooch - one of the greatest players of fast bowling ever...
He was also one of the worst players of medium-pace nothing bowlers. Have to say I also feel that THAT innings was the greatest I'ver seen, but it's not enough to erase years of mediocrity, in my mind, anyway. Particularly all the times he left the ball to be out to innocuous in-duckers.

grecian

You challenging me boy?
Umm, not really challenging, you. Mind you I like at my old age to be called boy, I feel all fuzzy inside:wub:

Nah, just stating that Gooch before 1990ish was really ordinary, which all seems to be forgotten about him in his overall career. Yet it was the biggest part of his career.

robelinda

Well consider the challenge ACCEPTED! 1980's GOOCH VS WEST INDIES on the way......got loads of footage.....

smash84

The Tiger King
in that first video you just have to marvel at the bowling attack that WI have. Fine piece of editing. Roberts running in, then Holding running in, and then Garner making his way all in the first few deliveries of the video. Croft comes on later. What a bowling attack that was. A masterclass from Gooch. The bowling seems unrelenting. Gun upload. The WI quartet :wub:

smash84

The Tiger King
In the second vid you have Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh, and Patterson. Even in 1988 they had a very good attack.

That WI sides of the 80s were gun

robelinda

One of his very best innings vs WI was in 1988, he almost batted right through the innings but was last out for 84, at the Oval, magnificent innings. He actually withstood the guys like Ambrose and Walsh, but it was Winston Benjamin who tore through England, i'll try and upload the entire England innings, superb stuff.

smash84

The Tiger King
I hope you get that copyright claim in your favor Rob. I can't wait for that brutal WI compilation. Fast bowling at its best :cool: