View Poll Results: Alistar Cook vs Graham Gooch?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alistar Cook

5 27.78%
  • Graham Gooch

13 72.22%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alastair Cook vs Graham Gooch?

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Not nearly as one-dimensional as the horribly over-hyped West Indian attack at Headingley in '91. Ambrose, Patterson, Marshall, Walsh: all bowlers of the same type (RF) and of broadly equivalent quality. Where's the variety? Where's the versatility? In particular, when they're faced with a flat pitch, where's the X-Do to winkle batsman out with cunning and guile? Where's the reliable left-arm wizard a la Mitch Johnson? Where's the fast-medium sultan of swing in the Hilfenhaus mould? Where's the medium-paced magician to rival Shane Watson?
    Oh AWTA completely. I mean, as some Indian fan said a while back, variety is the key to a bowling attack. It's what makes Paul Harris' left arm variety so much more dangerous than Graeme Swann's (BAW-RING) right arm twirly nothings.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Yep, just watched it myself, bloody awesome. The man could play fast bowling, he really could.

One of the YouTube comments was that that fast bowling attack was "assembled by Satan, trained in hell and dispatched to planet earth for wreaking havoc". Which pretty much sums it up. Except that, as I've already demonstrated, they were one dimensional, predictable and limited
    Out of interest, how would those that were there rate Gooch and the other best batsmen of the 80s and early 90s against spin bowling? As I've heard that there was rather a dearth at the time, until Warne, Murali and Kumble came along.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Can't see Cook ever playing an innings as crucial as Gooch's 154* at Headingley in '91 so, despite that appalling taste in facial hair, 'tis Goochy for me
    Has any batsmen in history?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Has any batsmen in history?
    Not in my book but I know from past experience that there are folk on here who don't agree with me

Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    Oh i wasn't replying to your post Zaremba! My sarcasm detector is in fine working order.....obviously as a Pom you would never slag off the mighty GOOCH!
    Sacrilege

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    I would say Kim Hughes 100* vs WI in 1981 was equal to that Gooch knock. Absolutely awful up and down pitch on day 1, the bowling attack was a touch more devastating, and it looked like people could get seriously hurt out there. Man that MCG pitch was so terrible in the early 80's, just abysmal. Gooch's knock was a whole other kind of awesome in insane swinging conditions.
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

Headingley 91 : Amidst Gooch's heroics Richards brutal knock in WI 1st innings was easily forgotten, I still think younger Viv would've been stayed in and dominated the attack. No complaints though, given what was followed.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    The standing of Gooch's innings was heightened considerably by the fact the WIndies had won the last 10 tests they'd played here and hadn't lost one for 20 odd years - it was an amazing win, but it wasn't really a team effort it was just Gooch

U19 Vice-Captain
    His knock a year later at the same ground wasn't too shabby either. Throw in the knock at Kingston and Gooch's career had peaks of excellence against top quality bowling that Cook has yet to demonstrate. Still, Gooch's career peaked quite late and Cook may well be a more effective accumulator of runs over his career,

graham gooch - one of the greatest players of fast bowling ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    gooch was good
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    graham gooch - one of the greatest players of fast bowling ever...
    He was also one of the worst players of medium-pace nothing bowlers. Have to say I also feel that THAT innings was the greatest I'ver seen, but it's not enough to erase years of mediocrity, in my mind, anyway. Particularly all the times he left the ball to be out to innocuous in-duckers.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information