• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Aussie fast bowler

Greatest Aussie paceman???

• Total voters

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
There's a good case to be made for Lillee, Spofforth and Turner.

But the one you've got to get past, hateful though it is to admit it, is Pigeon McGrath. Thing is, he was the opposite of the sort of ***y Wasim Akram beau ideal that we all want our fast bowlers to be. He didn't offer that much variety, he didn't bowl many unplayable deliveries, and he couldn't get the ball to swing one way, seam the other way, stop dead, ruffle the baffled batsman's hair and then boomerang at appalling velocity onto the stumps. He didn't bowl at a hundred miles an hour. But what he did, time after time, was to take key wickets cheaply, and more effectively than anyone else at a time when everything seemed stacked against bowlers.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Greg Campbell?
I remember Martin Johnson (the cricket writer not the freakish rugby orc) writing that the 1989 Ashes squad didn't quite have the cachet of previous teams: "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if Cambell don't get ya, Rackemann must"

Although Campbell's most notable claim to fame is that his nephew has made a fine career for himself as a George W Bush impersonator.

Vijay.Sharma

School Boy/Girl Captain
How can an all Aussie fast bowling line up ever not have Simon O Donnell? Well OK if u consider him as a an AR. But what about Bradley Williams and Nathan Bracken...come on now, you gotta be kidding me if these guys are not in the fray

smash84

The Tiger King

But the one you've got to get past, hateful though it is to admit it, is Pigeon McGrath. Thing is, he was the opposite of the sort of ***y Wasim Akram beau ideal that we all want our fast bowlers to be. He didn't offer that much variety, he didn't bowl many unplayable deliveries, and he couldn't get the ball to swing one way, seam the other way, stop dead, ruffle the baffled batsman's hair and then boomerang at appalling velocity onto the stumps. He didn't bowl at a hundred miles an hour. But what he did, time after time, was to take key wickets cheaply, and more effectively than anyone else at a time when everything seemed stacked against bowlers.
haha......gun post

G.I.Joe

International Coach

You know your point is wasted upon the readers when this isn't the part that is bolded when being quoted.

Yes smiley, I mean you. :cool:

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah, I'm not buying the pretence :p
You don't need to :p

You know your point is wasted upon the readers when this isn't the part that is bolded when being quoted.

Yes smiley, I mean you. :cool:
:wacko::wacko::wacko:

My comment was meant to imply that I thought that I found it an extremely funny description (quite apt too) and not that Wasim was a greater bowler than McGrath. Where did I say Wasim was a better bowler than McGrath?

Himannv

International Coach
McGrath probably takes this one easily. Will throw a vote Lindwall's way. I think he's a bit underrated at times.