• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why are almost all CW members not that interested towards ODIs and T20s?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, I agree that Tests are the classiest form of cricket and should be very much respected. But I feel that ODIs and T20s are not given much importance at all here. There are so many comments like 'I dont even know that there is a one day series going on', etc.
One answer would be that tests are the ones which test the technique and temperament of batsmen and separate the men and the boys. But ODIs do need separate skill and talent as well and should be appreciated more than what it gets here.

Spark

Global Moderator
Because in comparison they're artificial, unbalanced towards batsmen and generally kind of boring.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't mind ODIs so much but T20s are liable to put me to sleep. Woo, another hack to midwicket, how exciting.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I can appreciate the skills required by Pollard to mow medium pacers over long on, but my love for cricket is driven by a Jayawardene special on a turning Test wicket.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I like watching both T20's and ODI's tbh. Though depends on who is playing, but then it is the same with Tests.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
odi that are low scoring are very entertaining.

however ones that are on absolute roads are like prolonged T20s.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because it's just plain ****. ODI's aren't bad, but T20's are wayyyy overused.

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't mind ODIs so much but T20s are liable to put me to sleep. Woo, another hack to midwicket, how exciting.
Kind of ambivalent on this.

ODI bilateral series are quite terrible too.

I think the T20s should only be limited to T20 world cup. There should be some ODI tournaments I think because it requires at least a bit more skill compared to T20s.

Test cricket is for the purist and I guess most CWers are purists

salman85

International Debutant
I enjoy both T20's and ODI's.I thought ODI's had become boring before the world cup came around,but the tournament has given new life to the format.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I can appreciate the skills required by Pollard to mow medium pacers over long on, but my love for cricket is driven by a Jayawardene special on a turning Test wicket.
I am more inclined towards this actually. Love for a Jayawardene or Laxman special would be there. But a Laxman can't do the mow over midwicket which a Pollard or Raina or Yuvraj can. Hence as cricket lovers, we can appreciate both the Pollard mow and a Laxman cover drive.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I can remember many test matches from year's gone by and the venues they were played at and the result of the series, etc.

Can remember too many ODI series, though.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
odi that are low scoring are very entertaining.

however ones that are on absolute roads are like prolonged T20s.
True. I too hate matches played on roads a lot. A bowler friendly game is much much more entertaining. But this applies equally to Tests as well.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
ODIs have been a big part of my childhood and I love most of them. Seen quite a number of great games.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The main problem with ODIs and T20s is that they repeat themselves. Spark has the point by calling them "artificial", they started out as a way of manufacturing a run chase. There's no room for the game to go anywhere.

T20 is enjoyable atm because there's usually only one around a series. Unlike a Test series, where you feel you can really get to grips with an ongoing narrative, a bilateral ODI series just amounts to attempting to manufacture the same situation over and over again.

The exception to this is when you have a world tournament, when you get to see as many different teams and players as possible get a go. And why it's crucial to keep the minnows involved.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I don't hate either, I like them less than tests but I appreciate the different skillset involved and there's been plenty of classic ODIs which will live on forever in my memory

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I can remember many test matches from year's gone by and the venues they were played at and the result of the series, etc.

Can remember too many ODI series, though.
I believe that 'Can' was meant as 'Cant' :) . Taking that, Disagree from a personal point of view. As an ardent follower of both tests and ODIs, there has been so many ODI classics also that I can remember. Apart from the WC and Champions Trophy, the Sharjah series, CB series, Natwest series and many Ind-Pak matches etc are all entrenched in memory. I agree with respect to T20s on that aspect though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah the main problem with ODIs for mine is that there's faaaar too many of them and they're scheduled at completely the wrong times. Short series before the main event (the Test series) and I don't mind them at all. There's been some great ODIs in the past year, tbf.