• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

pitches vs formats

jan

State Vice-Captain
Browsing thru some pics of cricket grounds I started to wonder - there are cricket stadiums where there is more than one pitch on the ground. Obviously the central one is used in most of the pics or vids I saw. But do official games alwas take place on this one pitch/wicket?
Sorry if my terminolgy isnt correct but this venue/ground/pitch/wicket stuff is still bit confusing for me.

Are there different pitches for each format of the game? Does it even matter what pitch is a game played on in terms of better/worse result in each format or are pitches just universal?
During a test there is lot more running and bowling the pitch gets compared to a t20 game. So Id imagine that for this reason they use different pitch for each format if they have an extra one.

Am I completely mistaken, do the groundstaff just prepare pitch accordingly to each format? Or are there cricket grounds that "specialize" only in one of the three formats?

Thanks
jan

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
There are usually upwards of 20 wickets on a first-class square in the UK - even club and school grounds have 8-10 on the square. The biggest reason for this is often, as you imagine, usage - they will rotate around wickets to make sure they are not worn out.

A lot of clubs will use the outer wickets for junior age groups (shorter lengths), whilst professional grounds tend to use the outer wickets for OD/T20 games as the boundary is necessarily shorter. These will often be used for back to back games, however. There tends not to be a great deal of variance between wickets at one ground, but I would imagine different pitches will be prepared in different ways for different formats - the Test grounds* obviously put a great deal of effort into the flagship pitch for the big game.

*except Galle