• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best spinner in the world right now?

Who is the best spinner in the world right now?

• Total voters

the big bambino

International Captain
Judging by rankings overall, Shakib is the best spinner in the world. In limited overs its Shakib followed by Ashwin and Tahir. In tests, its Herath followed by Yasir and Ashwin. Shocking though that quality of spin bowling today has gone downhill even amongst Asian teams.
Oh dear I completely forgot. (red face)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
1. Herath (in decline but still has the numbers).
2. Ashwin - I think his away record will improve now that he's not mucking around with his action and doing that weird halt in his run up.
3. Lyon - solid.
4. Yasir Shah - is likely to leapfrog Lyon and Ashwin but doesn't yet have enough matches to have proven it.
5. Shakib.
6. Zulfiqur - another solid left arm spinner. Falls apart a bit when attacked.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In terms of main spinners for each side.

1. Ashwin
2. Lyon
3. Herath
4. Yasir
5. Shakib
6. Bishoo
7. Craig
8. Harmer/Piedt (not sure who'd be first choice)
9. Moeen
10. Cremer (or whoever the **** is Zimbabwe's first spinner)

As crazy as it sounds....Bangladesh may have a case of having the strongest spinning depth in the world.

Order of the Top 5 could be quite different on a different day. NFI how to rate Herath or Yasir either as their career progression are on completely different paths - if Yasir doesn't completely bomb outside of the subcontient I'll probably move him up to first.

Last edited: