• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time XI's

iamdavid

International Debutant
I am creating a database for ICC which will include the all time XI's for each country.

Now Im sure you've had a thread on this before (we certainly had a few on the Cricinfo forums) but I was wondering what you guys reckon some of these teams should look like??

So what are you're all time XI's for a country of you're choice??

My Australian one is something like-
1.B.Lawry
2.B.Simpson
3.*D.Bradman
4.G.Chappell
5.N.Harvey
6.K.Miller
7.+A.Gilchrist
8.R.Lindwall
9.S.Warne
10.C.Grimmet
11.D.Lillee

Cloete

International Captain
iamdavid said:
I am creating a database for ICC which will include the all time XI's for each country.

Now Im sure you've had a thread on this before (we certainly had a few on the Cricinfo forums) but I was wondering what you guys reckon some of these teams should look like??

1.B.Lawry
2.B.Simpson
3.*D.Bradman
4.G.Chappell
5.N.Harvey
6.K.Miller
7.+A.Gilchrist
8.R.Lindwall
9.S.Warne
10.C.Grimmet
11.D.Lillee
Which ICC is this?

masterblaster

International Captain
My Indian all time squad:

1.Sunil Gavaskar (Captain)
2.Navjot Sidhu
3.Rahul Dravid
4.Sachin Tendulkar
5.Dilip Vengsarkar
6.Gundappa Vishwanath
7.Kapil Dev
8.Syed Kirmani (w/k)
9.Anil Kumble
10.Bishen Singh Bedi
11.Javagal Srinath

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If it's a database, shouldn't it have at least 15 players in each All Time squad?

Coming soon - West Indies All Time XI (or XV)...

esgallindeion

U19 12th Man
Indian Squad...
As I've been watching cricket only for the past 8 yrs and a few cricket classics, I'm not sure my list will reflect on the really old great players.

1. Sunil Gavaskar
2. Navjot Sidhu
3. Rahul Dravid
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. G Vishwanath
6. VVS Laxman
7. Kapil Dev
8. Nayan Mongia
9. Harbhajan Singh
10. Anil Kumble
11. Zaheer Khan
{
12. Virender Sehwag
13. Ashish Nehra
14. Dilip Vengsarkar
15. Syed Kirmani
}

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Zaheer Khan? Virender Sehwag? Nayan Mongia? Harbhajan Singh? VVS Laxman? Ashish Nehra??

Surely Indian cricket has been better than that over the years...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I agree with Mr. M; top 15 England squad:
JB Hobbs, H Sutcliffe, W Hammond, L Hutton, G Boycott, WG Grace, L Ames, AJ Stewart, W Rhodes, H Verity, SF Barnes, A Bedser, JB Statham, FS Trueman, K Barrington.
Even cutting it down to 15 is incredibly hard. How can you possibly leave-out the like of T Graveney, E Dexter, DCS Compton, C Washbrook, etc.? It's almost an impossible excercise. Not to mention the fact that probably 5 of England's best 7 batsmen were openers.

PY

International Coach
Is this a clever way of getting everyone to name all the best players for the Draft Pick? :D

If it is, then you've been caught red-handed.....:baddevil:

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Richard said:
I agree with Mr. M; top 15 England squad:
JB Hobbs, H Sutcliffe, W Hammond, L Hutton, G Boycott, WG Grace, L Ames, AJ Stewart, W Rhodes, H Verity, SF Barnes, A Bedser, JB Statham, FS Trueman, K Barrington.
Even cutting it down to 15 is incredibly hard. How can you possibly leave-out the like of ... T Graveney, E Dexter, DCS Compton, C Washbrook, etc.? It's almost an impossible excercise. Not to mention the fact that probably 5 of England's best 7 batsmen were openers. [/B]
.... and not even mention Laker ;)

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
PY said:
Is this a clever way of getting everyone to name all the best players for the Draft Pick? :D

If it is, then you've been caught red-handed.....:baddevil:
Thanks PY ... I forgot a ruling about not mentioning any player that has not been picked yet!!!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
India's all-time in my opinion:

Sunil Gavaskar(no doubts)
Kris Srikkanth(would rate him as good as Sidhu against spinners and much better than him against pace)
Rahul Dravid(Exceptional technician, if we need an extra bowler in the team though, I might swap him with Chandrasekhar)
Sachin Tendulkar(no doubts)
Gundappa Vishwanath(no doubts as far as I am concerned)
Dilip Vengsarkar(no doubts as far as I am concerned)
Syed Kirmani(no doubts)
Kapil Dev(no doubts)
Javagal Srinath(second best pace bowler from India)
Bishan Bedi(no doubts)
Erappalli Prasanna(no doubts)

Last edited:

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
iamdavid said:

1.B.Lawry
2.B.Simpson
3.*D.Bradman
4.G.Chappell
5.N.Harvey
6.K.Miller
7.+A.Gilchrist
8.R.Lindwall
9.S.Warne
10.C.Grimmet
11.D.Lillee
IMO Gilchrist does not deserve a place - yet. His keeping isnt good enough, and i think you would need to wait until the end of his career to line him up against the best.

PY

International Coach
Finally some sense from an Aussie ;)

To put him in now would be unfair to Rodney Marsh who was consistently for over a decade whereas Gilchrist has been consistent for about 2 years.

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
royGilchrist said:
havent we done this like a 150 times before
All forums repeat stuff like this over and over. I don't know how many times I given my Top 10 movies lists, or Top 10 albums etc.

.... and I never get bored of doing it :)

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
One quick irrelevant off-topic question. I couldn't find an appropriate forum on Cricket Web to post this enquiry ...

Why are PM's not allowed? And why can't we volunteer to show or emails if we so wish ... hidden behind the link that appears at the bottom of each post?

*I'll delete this message in due course :)

iamdavid

International Debutant
Re: Re: All time XI's

Mr. Ponting said:
IMO Gilchrist does not deserve a place - yet. His keeping isnt good enough, and i think you would need to wait until the end of his career to line him up against the best.
Obviously Gilchrist's keeping wouldnt be a patch on Healy's , Marsh's or Don Tallon's , however I chose the allrounder at number 6 rather than the extra batsman so it was neccesary to have a keeper who could bat , and no keeper can bat better than Gilchrist.

His keeping is not SUPERB , however it is very SOLID , and as Richard has said whould you rather an excellent keeper who averages 25 or a good keeper who averages 50??