.... and not even mention Laker
    ahhh.... exactly my thoughts
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

State 12th Man
    havent we done this like a 150 times before

Originally posted by royGilchrist
    havent we done this like a 150 times before
    All forums repeat stuff like this over and over. I don't know how many times I given my Top 10 movies lists, or Top 10 albums etc.

.... and I never get bored of doing it
    EMAIL: johnnya24@yahoo.co.uk

One quick irrelevant off-topic question. I couldn't find an appropriate forum on Cricket Web to post this enquiry ...

Why are PM's not allowed? And why can't we volunteer to show or emails if we so wish ... hidden behind the link that appears at the bottom of each post?

*I'll delete this message in due course

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar

Re: Re: All time XI's

Originally posted by Mr. Ponting
    IMO Gilchrist does not deserve a place - yet. His keeping isnt good enough, and i think you would need to wait until the end of his career to line him up against the best.
    Obviously Gilchrist's keeping wouldnt be a patch on Healy's , Marsh's or Don Tallon's , however I chose the allrounder at number 6 rather than the extra batsman so it was neccesary to have a keeper who could bat , and no keeper can bat better than Gilchrist.

His keeping is not SUPERB , however it is very SOLID , and as Richard has said whould you rather an excellent keeper who averages 25 or a good keeper who averages 50??

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by JohnnyA
    One quick irrelevant off-topic question. I couldn't find an appropriate forum on Cricket Web to post this enquiry ...
    I would suggest Site Discussion (the one with the forum description "Ask the Cricket Web team a question) :P

Originally posted by JohnnyA
    Why are PM's not allowed? And why can't we volunteer to show or emails if we so wish ... hidden behind the link that appears at the bottom of each post?
    It's covered in there - and involves spam both via PM and email inbox. Some of us got a lot.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: All time XI's

Originally posted by iamdavid
    Obviously Gilchrist's keeping wouldnt be a patch on Healy's , Marsh's or Don Tallon's , however I chose the allrounder at number 6 rather than the extra batsman so it was neccesary to have a keeper who could bat , and no keeper can bat better than Gilchrist.

His keeping is not SUPERB , however it is very SOLID , and as Richard has said whould you rather an excellent keeper who averages 25 or a good keeper who averages 50??
    But IMO an All-Time team is not about winning, but about showing appreciation for the outstanding service shown by a player. It is to recognize the great players. Gilchrist is very good, but not great.

Besides, your allrounder average 37. Furthermore, your top order averages 47, 47, 99, 54, 48. A little light on the batting are we?
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    One point about playing Gilchrist in an all-time XI - the guy would only really be in the side for his keeping because he wouldn't get a knock very often.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Bob Taylor and Alan Knott would have to be ranked up there as well for England 'keepers.

My West Indian 15:

Greenidge, Haynes, Sobers, Lara, Gibbs, Holding, Marshall, Weekes, Worrell, Walcott, Headley, Walsh, Ambrose, Dujon, Richards.

Hunte, Nurse, Lloyd, Valentine, Ramhadin, Hall are all unlucky to miss out.

BTW nobody needs to tell me I have heaps of batsmen.

Who knows, had Cylde Walcott's brother Keith and Sober's brother Gerry got enough chances, they might have been pushing for a spot as from I have read, they were both very good batsmen.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    A question, Craig: why do you, a Kiwi, do a West Indian squad?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Vice-Captain
    Craigs an aussi. I dont know why he does a WI squad, seems he has a 'special knowledge' of them. j/k.

Because I have a huge interest in West Indies cricket. You can ask Liam that to. I once created a "West Indies Cricket discussion Thread".

I have read Sobers autobiography (and I have brought it last week), Richards two autobiography's, Walsh's biography, another book on Lara and by Sobers, and A Complete History of West Indies Cricket. Strangly enough, I found it my local libery.

I want to get my hands on "Beyond A Boundry" by CLR James.

Originally posted by Mr. Ponting
    Craigs an aussi. I dont know why he does a WI squad, seems he has a 'special knowledge' of them. j/k.
    Really? I never knew that. Last time I checked I was born in NZ and lived there for 13.5 years and lived here since and never bothered to take out Australian Citizinship.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by Craig
    I want to get my hands on "Beyond A Boundry" by CLR James.
    I was given that for my birthday. I'm ashamed to say I haven't started it yet, being first engaged in White Cap And Bails by Dickie Bird. I'm presently reading Picador Book Of Cricket by a widely acknowledged Indian guy called Ramachandra Guha, a sort of collection of his favourite passages. Planning to read Beyond A Boundary after I've finished that. Apparently it's widely acknowledged as the most influencial cricket book ever.

Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    Zaheer Khan? Virender Sehwag? Nayan Mongia? Harbhajan Singh? VVS Laxman? Ashish Nehra??

Surely Indian cricket has been better than that over the years...
    Yeah, Indian cricket has been better than that over the years. They have had many superb players. Superb batsmen and bowlers. And yet they never were considered a great side.

Sure India has had their fair share of great players but none of them, at least imo, could blend as a team.

With the current batch (Zaheer, Sehwag, Harbhajan, Nehra, Laxman) you only need to look at them playing to know that they are a real team and not just a group of individuals.

I could have made a list of players who have done their best at that respective positions but I'm sure they would still be unable to win many matches. And with someone like gavaskar and Dravid in the side, unless you have someone like Sehwag, you'll find yourself drawing much more matches than winning them.

I don't know why I selected Mongia, though.
    "D'oh!"

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information