• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is the current English team one of the best ever?

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
the question came to me after i saw a pole which some of u might have voted...i have no doubts that this england side is a very talented one, and of course can go a long way...but putting it on that poll !! was that a bit early !! and that poll didnt have the indian team which was officially number 1 before that...if that poll didn't have the english team i would not have thought about the indian team either...cos the rest seemed fine to me...but since they have the english side there, and i see no reason why the indian team can not be there as well (2007 to 10)... so it turns out to be two questions...1) is this england team can be rated one of the bests of all time already? and 2) have they been tested enough to say that they were better than the indian lot already, shouldn't we wait a little more?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
1) is this england team can be rated one of the bests of all time already?
No.

2) have they been tested enough to say that they were better than the indian lot already, shouldn't we wait a little more?
Hard to see any basis for saying that they're not a significantly better team than the Indian team that they've just destroyed 4-0. It wasn't just 4 wins to nil, it was 4 absolute thrashings to nil.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Hard to see any basis for saying that they're not a significantly better team than the Indian team that they've just destroyed 4-0. It wasn't just 4 wins to nil, it was 4 absolute thrashings to nil.[/QUOTE]

i mean tested in all circumstances...i mean, they got to come to india and and win a series...before we decide upon this...at least india did that in 2007...and drew one before that...

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Hard to see any basis for saying that they're not a significantly better team than the Indian team that they've just destroyed 4-0. It wasn't just 4 wins to nil, it was 4 absolute thrashings to nil.
i mean tested in all circumstances...i mean, they got to come to india and and win a series...before we decide upon this...at least india did that in 2007...and drew one before that...
[/QUOTE]

as long as england don't lose like 2-0 in india, they are clearly ahead.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, you asked the question and I gave you my answer. The total and utter slaughter that we have just witnessed is enough evidence for me. It was one team showing total domination of the other. To suggest that's all about conditions and home advantage is really self-delusion.

One reality check given by the (innings) win at the Oval was that there is no longer an England/India argument about the no 1 position. That argument is between England and South Africa. Personally I'm not convinced that England are a better team than South Africa. But I'm 100% confident that they're a better team than the rabble that they've just comprehensively demolished.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
India haven't won in Australia though which England have. Swings and roundabouts.
well, a team getting to no 1 has its history, from 1996 to 2006, in these 10 years...india and australia played 18 tests with each other, including tests in australia and india, out of which, india won 7, australia won 8, and 3 were drawn...arguably the best team ever (at least that's what the pole suggested)...does any other team has that record against australia in their prime? england, for example, in that period (1996 to 2006), played 31 tests with australia, out of which england won 7, australia won 20, and 4 were drawn...

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well, a team getting to no 1 has its history, from 1996 to 2006, in these 10 years...india and australia played 18 tests with each other, including tests in australia and india, out of which, india won 7, australia won 8, and 3 were drawn...arguably the best team ever (at least that's what the pole suggested)...does any other team has that record against australia in their prime? england, for example, in that period (1996 to 2006), played 31 tests with australia, out of which england won 7, australia won 20, and 4 were drawn...
So basically whatever anyone says you will argue against. Why bother asking the question in the first place? :wacko:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Well if by "is England the best team in the world" you mean "is England the best team in the world as measured over a 10-year period which ended 5 years ago", I'd agree that the answer is no.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
as long as england don't lose like 2-0 in india, they are clearly ahead.[/QUOTE]

well, the point of argument is, has this english side done enough to be in that all time best list already? what baffles me, is that, the indian side from 06-07 to 10 is not there, what i think is clearly this, if this english team can be there, so can the indian team...(of last 3-4 years)...that is it...i believe, this england side has not done enough to be there in that list (and if it was not there, i would not have had any problem with the indian side not being there)...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I wouldn't disagree with that. This England team is hardly an ATG team. Yes, ATG in terms of preparation, professionalism and team spirit etc, but obviously lacking in "great" players. I doubt many England supporters would particularly disagree with me on that.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
None of the two teams deserve to be there, India as evidenced by what we just witnessed, not at all. England its way too soon, and with the parity in the game today, its hard to see domination as we saw it in the past.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Well if by "is England the best team in the world" you mean "is England the best team in the world as measured over a 10-year period which ended 5 years ago", I'd agree that the answer is no.
ok, let's come closer then...from 1996 to 2010

australia vs england - england - 12, australia - 22, draw - 7 (total matches - 41)

australia vs india - india - 12, australia - 10, draw - 6 (total matches - 28)

in fact, not the victory in the world cup 2011, the best achievement for the indian team in probably last 20 years will be this, that they were equal, if not better in terms of performances with australia against australia at their prime (which is probably the greatest side that ever played the game)...something that largely has gone unnoticed...

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I wouldn't disagree with that. This England team is hardly an ATG team. Yes, ATG in terms of preparation, professionalism and team spirit etc, but obviously lacking in "great" players. I doubt many England supporters would particularly disagree with me on that.
agree completely. they're very organized, while india just turn up expect to beat any side.... total bs. hopefully they wont repeat the mistakes in the aus tour.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
ok, let's come closer then...from 1996 to 2010

australia vs england - england - 12, australia - 22, draw - 7 (total matches - 41)

australia vs india - india - 12, australia - 10, draw - 6 (total matches - 28)
I really don't know what point you're trying to make.

I've already agreed with you that this England team is not an ATG team.

And I assume you're not disputing that England is currently a stronger team than India; and if you are, (a) you're wrong, and (b) looking at a window from 1996 to 2010 is not going to prove you right.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Perfectly explained and I agree. This could well be on its course to becoming the first great team with no ATG players. A superb work ethic seems to be the soul of this team and I would be surprised if they don't achieve true greatness.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
I really don't know what point you're trying to make.

I've already agreed with you that this England team is not an ATG team.

And I assume you're not disputing that England is currently a stronger team than India; and if you are, (a) you're wrong, and (b) looking at a window from 1996 to 2010 is not going to prove you right.
i am not saying that, i have already made the argument clear, i wrote that cos u wrote this "Well if by "is England the best team in the world" you mean "is England the best team in the world as measured over a 10-year period which ended 5 years ago", I'd agree that the answer is no." that is why i included the last 4 years as well...and the fact that it doesnt look good on that account either...but as far as the argument is concerned, i think we stand on the same ground...that its too early....

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
the world cup win has gone to the heads of some of the younger players who just aren't willing to put in the effort now i feel...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India haven't won in Australia though which England have. Swings and roundabouts.
Come now, FJ. Everyone knows it's only about whether you've won in India, not anywhere else. You get off the plane in Delhi, and you tremble at the very thought of the impossibility of ever winning there.

Despite the fact every major test playing country has.