• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Some golden oldies...

Vijay.Sharma

School Boy/Girl Captain
Some nice videos from the past -

The Master, Jack Hobbs
JACK HOBBS THE WORLD FAMOUS CRICKETER - British Pathe

Check out Jack "only slow motion can show his bowling" Gregory's action - damn neat, he has something like a pre-leap leap just before his bowling stride. And, is Arthur Mailey playing with the seam ;) Bert Oldfield's perfect whipping of the off-bail
THE FIGHT FOR THE ASHES aka THE AUSTRALIANS ARE HERE! - British Pathe

Donald "there's a rumor he is the team for his batting" Bradman bowling
AUSTRALIA'S CRICKET TEST HOPES - British Pathe

Some shots of Grace, Ranji, Bradman, Hutton, the bodyline series, etc
CRICKET HIGHLIGHTS - British Pathe

Jacknife

International Captain
When you watch the old clips of the quick bowlers, you can see unlike today's bowlers that they haven't coached any quirks out of their bowling style. Even from those clips you can see they still bowled quickly even though their bowling styles were a bit different.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You've got to respect the bravery of the Australians in 1932/33 - Larwood looking absolutely lethal - its always amazing to watch him in those sort of compilations - just as you've convinced yourself that bowlers just look slower in monochrome along comes Lol and you realise how fast he must have been

Vijay.Sharma

School Boy/Girl Captain
Old footage like that really does show how far bowling has come along I reckon.
I think you could say that about the batsmen as well...it's not funny how totally off balance they look in those clips even someone like Hobbs.

But although their styles don't look very aesthetic to us fact is they were effective and made those runs.

Vijay.Sharma

School Boy/Girl Captain
When you watch the old clips of the quick bowlers, you can see unlike today's bowlers that they haven't coached any quirks out of their bowling style. Even from those clips you can see they still bowled quickly even though their bowling styles were a bit different.
Notice the amount of flight the Aussie bespectacled spinner gives...man just can't imagine today's spinners being that bold. Even Mailey is giving a lot of flight although he has one of the most ungainly actions I have seen along side Sarfaraz Nawaz lol.

But if we take an average team of today and an average team of the 1920s and get them to play (sans body armor even) the modern team will win more often. Cricket has become more skillful with the passage of time.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jack Gregory and Sam Everett seem to have this odd hop-skip thing before the actual delivery stride, wonder whether it hinders or helps.

Other things I noticed were that all the batsmen looked ridiculously out of balance, and the bats were so goddamn small that hitting sixes must be insanely hard.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Great to see the old clips, especially the brief clips of Larwood and O'reilly. Still dont believe that Hobbs played in a competitive enough era, and this sort of confirmed that for me. He is an all time great, just not firts team for me. The btwn war era of Bradman, Hutton, Hammond, Headley for me is the cut off as far as technique and competion alllows for players who could compete in the modern era.
No disrespect intended.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Great to see the old clips, especially the brief clips of Larwood and O'reilly. Still dont believe that Hobbs played in a competitive enough era, and this sort of confirmed that for me. He is an all time great, just not firts team for me. The btwn war era of Bradman, Hutton, Hammond, Headley for me is the cut off as far as technique and competion alllows for players who could compete in the modern era.
No disrespect intended.
hobbs was the first batsman to have something resembling a technique. thats enough to rate him as the best of his era and therefore include him in the atg xi.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Notice the amount of flight the Aussie bespectacled spinner gives...man just can't imagine today's spinners being that bold. Even Mailey is giving a lot of flight although he has one of the most ungainly actions I have seen along side Sarfaraz Nawaz lol.

But if we take an average team of today and an average team of the 1920s and get them to play (sans body armor even) the modern team will win more often. Cricket has become more skillful with the passage of time.
lol. Obviously if you just transported a team from 90 years ago the modern team would win. But the best players of an era would be able to adjust over time as IMO there are certain fundamentals needed to succeed in cricket that have remained a constant.

And I find it even more hilarious to judge the players of yesterday through a modern game lens. I'm sure Hobbs would be really impressed by the defensive techniques of guys like Raina and Hughes

Ruckus

International Captain
lol. Obviously if you just transported a team from 90 years ago the modern team would win. But the best players of an era would be able to adjust over time as IMO there are certain fundamentals needed to succeed in cricket that have remained a constant.
Yeah agree with all of this. Why do I get the feeling there is an ulterior motive about to surface here as well?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Vijay Sharma has been able to convince me that Tendulkar is almost as good as Bradman

....as a bowler.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thread looks to be going down the wrong route..

Anyways, with regards to transporting older players to the modern era, it's like asking someone who's really intelligent in general to do well in a math test that he hasn't studied for. He wouldn't know the type of questions and the style of answering and thus would fare badly, but that wouldn't mean he's poor at math.

Howe_zat

Audio File

Anyways, with regards to transporting older players to the modern era, it's like asking someone who's really intelligent in general to do well in a math test that he hasn't studied for. He wouldn't know the type of questions and the style of answering and thus would fare badly, but that wouldn't mean he's poor at math.
Good analogy, that.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
thread looks to be going down the wrong route..

great analogy!

Julian87

State Captain

I reckon it would.