• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Domestic Giants

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
name a player, who u think should have got more chances to represent his national team...who deserved more opportunities...please make it a name from your own country (no problem if its more than one, but they should be from your country and your domestic cricket)...for me, that name is utpal chatterjee (a left arm spinner and a very gutsy batsman, i saw him many times in eden gardens cos he represented my state in Ranji Trophy) if i remember correctly, he played 3 ODI matches for india in the early 90's, that's it...

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Subramaniam Badrinath, Kanwaljeet SIngh just 2 i remembered straightaway.

There are quite a few actually.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Peter (TPB) Smith. Never showed his best on his limited opportunities for England, but he was (supposedly, as I never saw him, obviously!) better than his England performances suggest.

Flem274*

123/5
Mathew Sinclair.:ph34r:

Peter Ingram
Michael Mason
Iain O'Brien (was dropped very quickly on his first opportunity)
Neil Broom?
Michael Papps?
Greg Hay?

By and large, we've picked the right batsmen over the past few years. Bowlers..well they're always injured so it's hard to tell, but there's a few around who have been unlucky not to get more opportunities. Michael Mason is the most hard done by player in New Zealand.

Broom, Hay and Papps are hard ones for me. Broom looks like he will be getting another chance, but he was picked in the wrong format and given the wrong job first time around. Hay had well known technical issues and suffered a horror slump after he was ignored for the England tour, but considering we picked James Marshall ahead of him while he averaged mid forties for CD I think he can feel hard done by.

Papps...well I don't think he would have made it, but he kept being picked to face Dale Steyn and was thrown out for ages solely because Brett Lee sconed him. He got some pretty harsh introductions.

I don't think he would have enjoyed playing pure pace with his technique, but put him up against slower bowlers and he would have scored some runs.

Andre

International Regular
Could pick any number of Australian batsman from the 1990's-early 00's, but always though that in particular 4 guys were really hard done by not to play any Test cricket/only have real limited opportunities.

Jamie Cox, Dene Hills, Stuart Law, Martin Love.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lehmann and Bevan to a certain extent. Yeah they did play some test cricket and Bevan was one of the best ODI batsmen ever, but they should've done/played more in tests.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
been meaning to ask this, may as well do it in here

Is Bevan's average of 79 in over 50 FC matches at the SCG a record of some sort?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ramps in recent years. Has taken FC run scoring to a completely different level.
Badri on lesser lines too.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
name a player, who u think should have got more chances to represent his national team...who deserved more opportunities...please make it a name from your own country (no problem if its more than one, but they should be from your country and your domestic cricket)...for me, that name is utpal chatterjee (a left arm spinner and a very gutsy batsman, i saw him many times in eden gardens cos he represented my state in Ranji Trophy) if i remember correctly, he played 3 ODI matches for india in the early 90's, that's it...
I faced Utpal Chatterjee after he retired from First-Class cricket. He had immaculate control over his line and length. Utpal-da was a very hard-working bowler with all the skills required for a left-arm spinner. Even I had the false notion once that he was more deserving of a test cap than Anil Kumble!

But I now understand how much better Anil Kumble was than all other spin bowlers in the country back then. Even excluding his test match records (on the basis of which, we can't compare him to Utpal because Utpal never played test matches), Kumble averaged 21.2 in FC matches - as compared to 24.9 of Chatterjee.

But yeah, even now I think Chatterjee was the second best spin bowler in the country for a long time (far better than the likes of Venkatapathy Raju, surely) and deserved to play quite a few test matches.