• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

talented players who didn't deliver as much as they could

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
From a purely personal point of view, Greg Blewett for me. Just adored his batting, was bummed when he was finally dropped for the 3rd test vs NZ in 2000, for some punk called Hayden.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Don Bradman. Had all the potential in the world. Really should have averaged 100 TBH :ph34r:

In all seriousness, agreed with Rob on Blewett. Should have done a lot better than he did, particularly after playing so well on the tour to South Africa in the late 90s (97? Not exactly sure), when he scored the big double-ton and batted the whole day with Steve Waugh.

Michael Bevan as another shout. Brilliant ODI and FC player, but never was able to cement a spot in the tests. More remembered for his bowling and a perceived inability to play bouncers TBH.

Andy Bichel in terms of guys robbed of opportunities. Same goes for most Australian domestic players in the 90s. Lehmann, Maher, Law, Love .etc. Very good players, never got chances.

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
Shoaib Akhtar - Had he shortened his run up, he would have been far far more successful in his career

Asif/Amir - For obvious reasons, both were class.

Inzimam - He did not play to his potential, I rate him higher than tendulkar. Sadly his fitness level always kept him limited.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
think gundappa viswanath is not a bad pick either...never learnt to make most of a good start...guess that touch of flamboyance prevailed...much better batman than what that average of 41 would suggest (though 41 was not bad in his time)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Darren Webber | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Can't believe he only just turned 40. Shots absolutely everywhere but with a Boon-like defence to get him through any tough periods. Had eye troubles very soon after SA won the SS in '96 but could have been anything. Sort of a right-handed Mark Taylor but could rip an attack apart too.

Some Webber action. Hopeless situation so could afford to play his shots but still, just kept putting Rackemann away who was still good enough at that point to be flown to the WI a few days after as a back-up quick to the Aussie side busily beating the WI for the first time in a couple of decades.

Siddons too. His career trajectory turned on a 10c piece when he was decked by Merv in a Shield game. Never the same player against good pace.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No fault of his own, but I suppose Archie Jackson must rate a mention. With all due respect to The Guardian writer & Mark Lathwell, I'd say his story is the most poignant.

Bruce Reid's return of 113 wickets from 27 tests spread over 7 years was scant return for his ability too.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Darren Webber | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Can't believe he only just turned 40. Shots absolutely everywhere but with a Boon-like defence to get him through any tough periods. Had eye troubles very soon after SA won the SS in '96 but could have been anything. Sort of a right-handed Mark Taylor but could rip an attack apart too.

Some Webber action. Hopeless situation so could afford to play his shots but still, just kept putting Rackemann away who was still good enough at that point to be flown to the WI a few days after as a back-up quick to the Aussie side busily beating the WI for the first time in a couple of decades.

Siddons too. His career trajectory turned on a 10c piece when he was decked by Merv in a Shield game. Never the same player against good pace.
His batting in that 2nd innings in the shield final was awesome, cracking pull shots, looked incredible.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
This could contain some personal favs and most contenders would come from a background where my heart lies - fast/swing bowling. Players who can still potentially make a comeback are not included.

Andy Caddick - Lovely smooth side-on action with late natural swing and uncomfortable bounce off a good length. As good as he was for Somerset, he could never find that consistency for England. Not entirely his fault either (remember who mismanaged English cricket in the 90s :@), but had he got the whole package together, I am convinced he would have left as one of the swing bowling greats of the game. It wasn't a surprise that the Hussain-Fletcher era brought the best out of him.

Ian Bishop - If only he hadn't done his back ....

Jason Gillespie - A very fine bowler in his own right, but should have had more statistical success than he did. For a bowler of such calibre, never having taken a 10-fer in a match is almost criminal. If he had only concentrated on pitching the ball just a wee bit fuller to actually get the edges, rather than beating the bat, the story could have been different.
Easily, one of the finest users of the red cherry I've ever seen.

Simon Doull - Another very good user of the new ball, although probably not as fine an overall bowler as the above three. Close to unplayable when the conditions suited him. Still should have achieved a lot more in his test career and his fitness left a lot to be desired.

Shane Bond - Words fail me! :@ :@

Devon Malcolm - A powerful natural athlete with terrific pace and an ability to make it do nasty things. Lack of proper mentoring, selectorial inconsistencies and a personal inability to devise a proper bowling plan made sure that the man woefully underachieved.

Azhar Mahmood - A naturally talented all-rounder who gave Donald one of his greatest drubbings on a Durban track. A superb timer of the ball and could swing the new and old ball well. Should have been better cherished by his board though and yet another guy who I felt missed out on a lot of test matches he rightfully should have played.

Carl Hooper - One of the many great mysteries of West Indian cricket. No one could quite comprehend how freakishly talented he was (himself included). Nor could many people understand how he managed to disappoint so consistently. For a man who could hit straight sixes off Warne against the turn and play a perfect forward defensive against the pacemen to send the ball screaming to the long off boundary, the lack of numbers is baffling.

smash84

The Tiger King
From a purely personal point of view, Greg Blewett for me. Just adored his batting, was bummed when he was finally dropped for the 3rd test vs NZ in 2000, for some punk called Hayden.
well his name says it all Greg Blew-it :ph34r:

Punk Hayden? :punk:

Don Bradman. Had all the potential in the world. Really should have averaged 100 TBH :ph34r:

In all seriousness, agreed with Rob on Blewett. Should have done a lot better than he did, particularly after playing so well on the tour to South Africa in the late 90s (97? Not exactly sure), when he scored the big double-ton and batted the whole day with Steve Waugh.

Michael Bevan as another shout. Brilliant ODI and FC player, but never was able to cement a spot in the tests. More remembered for his bowling and a perceived inability to play bouncers TBH.

Andy Bichel in terms of guys robbed of opportunities. Same goes for most Australian domestic players in the 90s. Lehmann, Maher, Law, Love .etc. Very good players, never got chances.
Shoaib Akhtar - Had he shortened his run up, he would have been far far more successful in his career

Asif/Amir - For obvious reasons, both were class.

Inzimam - He did not play to his potential, I rate him higher than tendulkar. Sadly his fitness level always kept him limited.
awata

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Asif does deliver when he gets to play. I can't bear that he may never play international cricket again as the flexible wrist and ability to get the ball moving off the pitch is dreamy to watch.

He's my favourite bowler, but he's such a monumental ****wit.

smash84

The Tiger King
well his name says it all Greg Blew-it :ph34r:

:laugh:....he had problems with balls coming in, not very common problem
He had problems in balls :ph34r:

Asif does deliver when he gets to play. I can't bear that he may never play international cricket again as the flexible wrist and ability to get the ball moving off the pitch is dreamy to watch.

He's my favourite bowler, but he's such a monumental ****wit.
So awta

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Wow! I dont think I have ever heard Devon Malcolm being called a 'natural athlete' in my life