• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best 5 predominantly defensive batsman of last 20 years

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
1) Jacques Kallis
2) Rahul Dravid
3) Steve Waugh
4) Shivnarayan Chandrapaul
5) Marvan Atapattu

one might not agree with that Steve Waugh name, i am bit confused...another name comes to mind, Neil Fairbrother...

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I think Mark Richardson over Steve Waugh any day. MIchael Atherton should definitely be on that list too.

robelinda

Well Steve Waugh was very attacking when he wanted, Richardson has zero attacking game, was purely defensive. I don't see how Steve Waugh can be thought of as a defensive batsman at all.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Well Steve Waugh was very attacking when he wanted, Richardson has zero attacking game, was purely defensive. I don't see how Steve Waugh can be thought of as a defensive batsman at all.
hmmm, had a little doubt about this all throughout...actually, kallis or dravid also could be attacking if the situation demanded...that is why i put it as predominantly...well, it's always going to be a difficult judgement...

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Everyone seems to have forgotten (or be unaware of) the fact that, early on in his career, Steve Waugh was a very, very aggressive batsman. I was talking to my dad about it a few weeks ago, and he went so far as to say he was a bigger/better strokemaker than his brother.

Only after being dropped in 1991 did he come back and start grinding out runs for fun. Then, when he started pulling out slog sweeps in ODIs everyone had forgotten he was actually capable of playing those shots.

Michael Clarke's done a similar thing TBH.

As for the question:
1. Dravid
2. Kallis
3. Chanderpaul
4. Cook
5. Trott

All of them have the ability to score more quickly to be perfectly honest.

robelinda

Not many batsmen are capable of slow innings like Chanders and Athers have produced. That Athers knock in 2001 in Pakistan was so slow it was funny!!! I was at the match where he scored the slowest Ashes ton (?), 1991 (SCG), ridiculously slow!

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd put forward Gary Kirsten's name for this

Not sure how the great improviser Neil Fairbrother got into the OP - if he deserves to be in any current thread its the one about players who didn't fulfil their talent, at Test level anyway

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It might be my imagination, but I think The Wall is getting slightly more attacking as he gets older. He was faced with "backs-to-the-wall" situations practically every time he came out to bat this summer (with the exception of his first knock at TB) but never once seemed to miss an opportunity to put the bad ball away.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I'd exclude Kallis and Dravid from this list. Two players with pretty much all the strokes in the book and do play them at the test level when the situation calls for it; even though their mindset is a defensive one. Same can be said, in a sense, for S. Waugh and Atapattu.

Best predominantly defensive players, for me, are (1990 onwards):

Shiv Chanderpaul (that odd innings notwithstanding)
Gary Kirsten
Michael Atherton
Hashan Tillakaratne
Mark Richardson

Brian McMillan is worthy of honourable mention too. Not the most complete batsman, but could hook brilliantly and had the patience to make the bowlers bowl to his strengths. He was priceles for South Africa in the 90s.

Last edited:

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
It might be my imagination, but I think The Wall is getting slightly more attacking as he gets older. He was faced with "backs-to-the-wall" situations practically every time he came out to bat this summer (with the exception of his first knock at TB) but never once seemed to miss an opportunity to put the bad ball away.
i think it has more to do with the fact that he was in a good form when he went to england, got a very important match winning century in west indies before that...don't think it has much to do with he is trying to be more attacking or something...frankly, if u see the innings that he played when he was in good feel, say for example his 233 in australia or 270 in pakistan, 190 in new zealand and many other innings like these, u will see that he hardly missed any weak deliveries...and in general, here i am talking about mostly ODI's, i am sure both in case of rahul and kallis u will see that in the second part of their career, their strike rate is much higher than the initial half...for example, somewhere in 2000, i think dravid's ODI strike rate was about 62...he ended up around 71-72...means his strike rate must have been in the high 70's, close to 80 in last 6-7 years...i think the same thing must have been with kallis as well...