• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Setting the platform...

Who do you think is the best ODI opening partnership of all-time?

• Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Gordon Greendidge and Desmond Haynes

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Matthew Hayden and Adam Gilchrist

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Sachin Tendulkar and Ajay Jadeja

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Marvan Atapattu and Sanath Jayasuriya

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gary Kirsten and Herschelle Gibbs

• Andy Flower and Grant Flower

• Mark Waugh and Adam Gilchrist

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • David Boon and Geoff Marsh

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Sourav Ganguly and Virender Sehwag

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other (please indicate)

• Total voters

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It'd be really interesting to hear what people have to say. These are statistically some of the best ODI opening partnerships.

masterblaster

International Captain
As far as I know,

Sourav and Sachin Tendulkar are statistically the greatest opening duo in ODI history. The pair have amassed the most amount of runs and century/double century opening stands in the history of ODI cricket.

They surpassed Desmond Haynes and Greenidge (i think?)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
if i were a selector i would like to have a super attacking batsman going in, so Jayasuria or Gilchrist, so that would leave me with picking between Attapattu, M Waugh and Hayden, Attapattu is more a test player, doesn't start particularly fast, so i wouldn't have him, choosing between Waugh and Hayden is hard

Hayden - ave 42, sr 77

M Waugh - ave 39, sr 76

i suppose Hayden wins over Waugh than

so Gilly and Hayden - i dont think you would find a much more attacking and powerful opening combination that that.

esgallindeion

U19 12th Man
Ganguly and Tendulkar.

I think the only reason why they never won as many matches for India s the other partnerships was because they weren't complimented by middle order batsmen and/or bowlers.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Waugh & Gilchrist , so different yet both so positive & watchable.

Although S & S average more you must admit they have had some rather easier wickets to negate , Gilchrist & Waugh had the habit of performing when it was needed most.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Abstained. Some fantastic combos there, but IMO it's just not possible to compare one partnership to another. Too many things to try and consider.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Me Three - would love to have seen them in this current bat-favourable game!
Good point. Me too.

Gordon was just explosive who could rip through any bowler or bowling attakc, and Haynes could do the same too but he was so solid, at times I used to think there was no way of getting haynes out, they may as well give him a single and get the other 10 out.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I have reserved my vote for a later time. Currently, Gilchrist/Waugh are leading Haynes/Greenidge...

anzac

International Debutant
royGilchrist said:
Good point. Me too.

Gordon was just explosive who could rip through any bowler or bowling attakc, and Haynes could do the same too but he was so solid, at times I used to think there was no way of getting haynes out, they may as well give him a single and get the other 10 out.
and that was one of the tactics used to limit the damage.....:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - The Calypso Kings
2 - Mark & Adam
3 - Sourav & Sachin

Reasons - The Calypso Kings showed the world what aggressive attacking batting was made of & re awoke the viewing public after years in the doldrums post Bradman & the ensuing 'play to not loose' mentallity.....

Mark & Adam ditto in the post Desi & Gordon era....

Sourav & Sachin - didn't rate as highly as a result of both still playing in the same team but only one or the other being used as opener and seldom together. If they were really that good & dominant as their stats suggest they should still be there now if they were / are the best.....reverse logic??????

:)

Mr Mxyzptlk

anzac said:
If they were really that good & dominant as their stats suggest they should still be there now if they were / are the best.....reverse logic??????

:)
Or the selectors could be blind.

Craig

World Traveller
Went for Sourav and Sachin, then followed by the two openers from Barbados and then M.Waugh and Gilchrist.

IMO I dont really rate Hayden as a one-day player. Crosses from agrresiveness into arrogrance on occasions.

He hasnt really performed all that well.