• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do Bangladesh Deserve Test Status?

Do Bangladesh Deserve Test Status?

• Yes

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I don't think Bangladesh deserve test status at the moment. It is extremely hard to learn the basics at the elite level. ODI are not a grounding for Tests either. Ideally a second-tier level competition along the lines of A-teams visiting emerging nations would benefit everyone. Once teams like Bangladesh are consistently beating the A-teams they can get elevated to Test status. What about touring places like Australia and playing the state teams pre-season in country areas. Bangladesh and Zimbawe showed how much they learned by their short tours here. What would happen if they had 4 or 5 games here. This could be extended to other countries to playing the best of the state/province/county sides. How good could Kenya be if they started doing this now. What about putting the Holland side in the English county comp. or the UAE in one of the Asian comps. Bring over their administraters to show they how its done. Train some of umpires to international standard and let them stand in Tests (or at least the A-side games)

Yes it would cost a bit initially, but the eventuall growth in the game would more than compensate. How interesting would be to see Australia play China in a Test in 2025.

Just look at the soccer and rugby world cups.

amits

Banned
guys, england never struggled against bangladesh.

in the 1st test, on a good batting pitch, BD made 203. also, they could set eng a 160ish target losing by 7 wickets.

2nd test, they were crushed by 300+ tuns.

as for the 3rd test v pak, that was a fixed match and some players other than inzy fixed it, but inzy ruined their plans !!!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
amits said:
guys, england never struggled against bangladesh.

in the 1st test, on a good batting pitch, BD made 203. also, they could set eng a 160ish target losing by 7 wickets.

2nd test, they were crushed by 300+ tuns.

as for the 3rd test v pak, that was a fixed match and some players other than inzy fixed it, but inzy ruined their plans !!!
The only thing England struggled with in the Tests was with their batting, where they did not score as many runs as they should have and got bogged down a lot. They were never seriously in danger of loosing though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
luckyeddie said:
Sharp intake of breath.
You want to be careful rushing things at your age...

Anyway, fill us in Amits, is this just baseless drivel (like the Stewart/MK Gupta farce) or something more substantial?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I voted no over here....and I still believe that I am right....Dave Whatmore has certainly injected a little competitiveness into the side, but that just shows the lack of talent over there even more clearly....even with the new competitive instinct, they are still unable to win any games.....they have come close a few times and they have 2 or 3 decent players....but they are still very much a substandard team and still do not deserve the elevation to test match status that they got more than 3 years back....as for one dayers, even Kenya is better than them....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
amits said:
in the 1st test, on a good batting pitch
Good batting pitch?
That pitch was good for nothing. Not even spin-bowling. It was inconsistent, desperately slow and didn't seam or turn much.
Not easy to play attacking shots, not easy for bowlers to bowl wicket-taking balls. If Bangladesh weren't so hopeless against the short-ball that match would have been drawn from day-one.

amits

Banned
anilramavarma,

yes. bangladesh is a sub-standard team.

its shocking for a team that cant even draw tests, let alone winning them, have test status.

and add to this, they havent won any odi for the last 4 years and have come close only 2 times against pak to win it, but still couldnt win.

zimbabwe, on the other hand are improving day by day and i dont see any remote hopes even of bangladesh beating zimbabwe next year. that series will be a cakewalk for the zimboks.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
amits said:
anilramavarma,

yes. bangladesh is a sub-standard team.

its shocking for a team that cant even draw tests, let alone winning them, have test status.

and add to this, they havent won any odi for the last 4 years and have come close only 2 times against pak to win it, but still couldnt win.

zimbabwe, on the other hand are improving day by day and i dont see any remote hopes even of bangladesh beating zimbabwe next year. that series will be a cakewalk for the zimboks.
Call me Anil.

Yeah I agree with most of what you said....however I am not making any predictions re: the Zim-Bang series right now.....going by current form, Zim should be firm favourites going into the series.....but cricket is a funny game....the most improbable things have been known to happen.....