• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do Bangladesh Deserve Test Status?

Do Bangladesh Deserve Test Status?

• Yes

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters

amits

Banned
26 yes and 3 no ??? :O :O :O :O :O

guys, i voted for NO

bangladesh clearly dont deserve it. when they were "competitive" to pak, pak were playing weakened teams. pak were never at full strength and played well below their potential.

eng just beat the 2-0 convincingly in the 2 tests.

for a team which cant even draw tests, forget winning it, its a joke that they have test status.

also, their future is very slim. lost by 117 runs, 8 wickets and 189 runs in the u-19 champs to pak, sl and ind. also nepal beat them in the last u-19 wc.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
erm, weakened side?

they havent got a much stronger side left to field...

and by the way, i DO disagree

Langeveldt

Soutie
Id have to agree with Amits.... They are still a substandard team who have devalued test cricket ever since they were invited.. They have an awesome coach in Whatmore, Id rate him second only to Woolmer, but I cant help thinking he should be applying his skill somewhere else...

So stick with them now that they are here, but they should never have been in the first place, and they shouldnt really at the moment...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I think a better question would be, Do Bangladesh Deserve ODI status? Because they are frankly appauling in this form and never look like even making a fist of it, let alone winning.

As for Mortaza (Murtaza, or however they decide to spell his name) is out for 8 months now with damaged ligs in his knee, they thought it would only be 4-6 weeks! He's off to Australia now for treatment, bye bye chance of Test win.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
godofcricket said:
They certainly deserve a test and an ODI status...they are getting better......i know they keep on losing but at the same time they certainly do go close to win a match at times ...they need alot of confidence..and we will certainly see them win a match soon. They might be the most inconsistent side but as i said we will have to wait as they need more experience as you cannot expect anything from a team who is lacking consistent, class and match winning players.
Since they don't have class match winning players, that's even more of a reason to kick them out. But in ODIs they weren't even competitive in the WC, England just smashed them again and they didn't even get close to putting up a fight. They are gritting it out in Tests although they don't look like they are going to win anything unless they come up against a team with a selection panel like Pakistan's! I think they deserve Test Status, but ODIs they do not. It would be a strange situation in which a Test playing nation would not play in ODIs, but their game isn't suited to the shorter game, and their only win was a very controvesial match against Pakistan which might well have been fixed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Id have to agree with Amits.... They are still a substandard team who have devalued test cricket ever since they were invited..
So stick with them now that they are here, but they should never have been in the first place, and they shouldnt really at the moment...
Just last week we were speculating that they'd beat Zimbabwe if they played them at the moment.

Zimbabwe just nearly beat West Indies.

Bangladesh came very close to Pakistan and should've won a match - Pakistan went on to beat SA.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Just last week we were speculating that they'd beat Zimbabwe if they played them at the moment.

Zimbabwe just nearly beat West Indies.

Bangladesh came very close to Pakistan and should've won a match - Pakistan went on to beat SA.
I was one of the school of thought who did not think Bangladesh would beat Zimbabwe, quite simply because Zimbabwe have Heath Streak who is not only a better bowler than the Bangladeshi's have, but also an inspiring captain (odd, no one would have thought of him as captaincy material a few years ago) and an under-rated all-rounder who is now quite a reliable batsman. They also have Blignaut who, despite being inconsistant with both bat and ball, is far superiour to anyone Bangladesh can claim to have in their squad, Taibu is a fine keeper who's batting is growing in confidence, Vermulen is probably the equal of Saleh although I expect Vermers to kick on more as he gets more experiance, Ray Price is a hugely under-rated spinner, better than Rafique who is Bangladesh's best bowler now Mortaza is out for the next year basically. Bangladesh's only trump card remaining is Habibul Bashar who consistantly fails in ODIs but actually shows fight in Tests. The captain, Mahmud, is more of a hinderance with his lack of runs and wickets.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Rik said:
Since they don't have class match winning players, that's even more of a reason to kick them out. But in ODIs they weren't even competitive in the WC, England just smashed them again and they didn't even get close to putting up a fight. They are gritting it out in Tests although they don't look like they are going to win anything unless they come up against a team with a selection panel like Pakistan's! I think they deserve Test Status, but ODIs they do not. It would be a strange situation in which a Test playing nation would not play in ODIs, but their game isn't suited to the shorter game, and their only win was a very controvesial match against Pakistan which might well have been fixed.
Then how would you make Bangladesh a better team if you keep kicking them out.... they would need to build some strong, solid confidence players and that can only come if they start playing more matches from which they will learn from there mistakes. They certainly do get hammering defeats but its a learning process for them, once a while u see them perform and we will see them get more consistent on it.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
godofcricket said:
Then how would you make Bangladesh a better team if you keep kicking them out.... they would need to build some strong, solid confidence players and that can only come if they start playing more matches from which they will learn from there mistakes. They certainly do get hammering defeats but its a learning process for them, once a while u see them perform and we will see them get more consistent on it.
Although it's rather harsh, if they arn't good enough at the moment to be playing ODIs, then why should they keep playing them? All they are doing is giving people cheap hauls and digging themselves deeper and deeper into a hole. No good comes from playing if you haven't even got a hope of winning. Let them do something of note in Tests or in a OD series like the ICC Champion's Trophy. They may get knocked back, but at the moment in ODIs they arn't even going anywhere, in fact they've almost got worse. I think knocking a country's game back a bit is less of a gamble than letting them play teams who will dish out regular thrashings any day over them. It's more unfair keeping them in there, and it's unfair on a lot of other people too, why should teams get an easy ride against a sub-standard team when this is supposed to be cricket's elite?

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Rik said:
Although it's rather harsh, if they arn't good enough at the moment to be playing ODIs, then why should they keep playing them? All they are doing is giving people cheap hauls and digging themselves deeper and deeper into a hole. No good comes from playing if you haven't even got a hope of winning. Let them do something of note in Tests or in a OD series like the ICC Champion's Trophy. They may get knocked back, but at the moment in ODIs they arn't even going anywhere, in fact they've almost got worse. I think knocking a country's game back a bit is less of a gamble than letting them play teams who will dish out regular thrashings any day over them. It's more unfair keeping them in there, and it's unfair on a lot of other people too, why should teams get an easy ride against a sub-standard team when this is supposed to be cricket's elite?
They should keep playing them as they need to learn. Well the way ur telling me 'no good comes from playing if you haven't even got a hope of winning'....its not like this as i told you before they need more and more experience you cannot expect much from an inexperience team. Believe me they are learning everyday...and they will gradually get better. Its really no surprise if they get trashing from good teams everytime..If they keep playing with such teams it will give them a boost to play teams like zimbabwe, from this they will start learning.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
godofcricket said:
They should keep playing them as they need to learn. Well the way ur telling me 'no good comes from playing if you haven't even got a hope of winning'....its not like this as i told you before they need more and more experience you cannot expect much from an inexperience team. Believe me they are learning everyday...and they will gradually get better. Its really no surprise if they get trashing from good teams everytime..If they keep playing with such teams it will give them a boost to play teams like zimbabwe, from this they will start learning.
But you have to think, does International Cricket need them? Do we really need to carry a team who arn't good enough at the moment and however much they learn, they still won't be International Standard, there's just a basic lack of ability there. It might be different in the future, but they only have 2-3 half-decent players and now one of them is out for nearly a year. In Tests they seem to be gritting it out and it's working, but you can't do that in ODIs.

It's not weather it's good for them, it's weather it's good for International Cricket, and having a team nowhere near good enough playing in a form of a game that doesn't suit them benefits no-one, however much experiance they gain.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Rik said:
But you have to think, does International Cricket need them? Do we really need to carry a team who arn't good enough at the moment and however much they learn, they still won't be International Standard, there's just a basic lack of ability there. It might be different in the future, but they only have 2-3 half-decent players and now one of them is out for nearly a year. In Tests they seem to be gritting it out and it's working, but you can't do that in ODIs.

It's not weather it's good for them, it's weather it's good for International Cricket, and having a team nowhere near good enough playing in a form of a game that doesn't suit them benefits no-one, however much experiance they gain.
Thats what i am saying they have now found some 2 to 3 average players, which gives you an example of there improving sign. If they have lost one of these players that doesn't mean they have to start all over again. International cricket needs more teams to participate at international level so there is more competetion ...and i guess thats the only way to make teams like bangladesh able enough to play good cricket and so compete more......Anyway i guess theres no point in arguing if we have got 2 different views about bangladesh.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Another thing about deserving Test status. Having good teams visit a country increases the interest of the sport and therefore the number of players. If the number of players increase, the quality of the game is likely to increase.

It is a slow process, but it will eventually result in Bangladesh becoming a force in world cricket. I mean, think of the potential! 125 million people! (OK, India has a billion people and can just compete with Australia's 10 million, but...)

It is exactly the same thing that football has been through. 40 years ago, there were only about twelve teams that could go far (like, quarter-finals) in a World Cup. Now at least thirty have that potential. So I say expand as much as possible - if a nation has the potential to win about 1 game of 50, it should be in IMO.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
godofcricket said:
Anyway i guess theres no point in arguing if we have got 2 different views about bangladesh.
Wow, what a brilliant thing to say! 8D

Fair enough, I see your point I just feel it weakens ODIs at the moment. They put up enough of a fight in the Tests lately against Pakistan and England. However this collapse in the 1st ODI is just another in a long long line of them.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Rik said:
Wow, what a brilliant thing to say! 8D

Fair enough, I see your point I just feel it weakens ODIs at the moment. They put up enough of a fight in the Tests lately against Pakistan and England. However this collapse in the 1st ODI is just another in a long long line of them.
I knew you would take it that way...i thought there was no point in arguing when neither of us was going to agree...It will be nice to see what happens in the next couple of ODIs. As i am backing bangladesh to perform better.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
godofcricket said:
I knew you would take it that way...i thought there was no point in arguing when neither of us was going to agree...It will be nice to see what happens in the next couple of ODIs. As i am backing bangladesh to perform better.
Nice to know someones thinks that way :)

Yeah I hope they do better, either that or bowl 1st...because when I got up, the match had finished! It's a horrible mis-match. I want them to put up a fight, and I want England to get a shock, because picking players like Clarke and McGrath in the squad and not playing Collingwood is pure stupidity.