• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why do so many people hate cricket?

in north america, europe, middle east, africa most people hate cricket, they call it the most boring sport.

Even this Australian girl i was talking too said she hates cricket to death. why is that???

I understand people hating test matches, heck even in south asia many people dont like them, but why do they hate cricket as a game??? is it because its too complicated for most people to understand?

BlazeDragon

Banned
Tests matches are hard to get into at first for anybody to be honest. I didn't really care about it for a long time.

ODIs are the perfect format to start with for beginning spectators IMO. T20 is just trash they are trying to get the American people's attention with it because it has a baseball feeling to it.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I think most people who dislike cricket do so because of its length. Someone in Europe asked me once "Is it true that a cricket match can take an ENTIRE DAY to play?" I don't think he believed me when I told him about test matches.

I maintain that cricket is the ultimate sport because its length reduces the luck factor to a lower level than any other game, apart from maybe chess.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People here hate it because they don't understand it, and are under the impression that its an exclusively Indian sport :\

G.I.Joe

International Coach
People hated it because they were sick of our domination. We had to throw the #1 ranking away just so the game had a chance to spread and grow.

jan

State Vice-Captain
I only know people who are into cricket or dont give a damn.
People hating cricket would be a considerable improvement in cricket consciousness in my part of the world :D

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
this is actually a very good question, but for a cricket fan very difficult to answer, think it has a lot to do with the games that u see or play in the childhood...if there is no culture of cricket, it's not a game that u suddenly see and start liking...few years ago, i had the opportunity of meeting someone from america who knew nothing about cricket...she came to india for a documentary...i took her to watch a cricket match in eden gardens, it was a national 40 over game, luckily, the match was very good one, and i talked about not only the rules and regulations but went on a bit further as well...she was also very willing to know...loved the round shape of the ground as well...and afterall, eden garden is not a bad place to start your cricket...she now follows cricket very closely, saw almost all the test matches of the india england series, may be, it's possible to develop later, and if there is someone to guide...also that person has to have some interest in learning about a new game...one who already seen it and hate it or has a strong opinion about it, not possible...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
IMO, there are three reasons. The easiest way to get into a sport is to play it. Cricket is a difficult sport to play. It is a skills based sport. Anyone can learn rugby in an afternoon
Football/soccer is a skills based sport but anyone can kick a ball and, if you find your level, anyone can play. You cant just pick up a ball and bowl and learning to bat properly can take years.

#2 The equipment is expensive and is a barrier to entry.

#3 It has an image problem outside of the core countries. It was first seen as a aristocratic British sport and then more recently seen as an immigrant Indian sport. Not wanting to burst anyones bubble but both score pretty low on the 'cool' scale.

So basically, it is hard to play, can be expensive to get into and doesnt attract people due to an image problem.

Last edited: