Kallis
    De Villiers
    Sangakkara+
    Broad
    Swann
    Steyn
    Anderson

Zaheer

To clarify, the period selected in August 11th - August 3rd.

1) Amla isn't an opener, and while his 2010 was epic he hasn't quite delivered at the same level over the last 8 months. Bringing in Watson at least shows someone who opened in that period. And might keep the Aussies happy.

2) Sangakkara is not a keeper anymore. You're picking a team of the year, so pick a keeper who kept in the year. Not hard, eh? Prior.

3) Broad's clearly been included under the basis of the most recent series, which doesn't really seem like enough, especially considering the chosen dates include only the first half. After all, why is Dravid not selected over Tendulkar? Meanwhile, Zaheer is 12th man despite not being able to field. Swap these two.

4) Where's Ian Bell? Up against AB, sure, but what more has the bloke got to do?

I'd have:

Cook, Watson, Trott, Tendulkar, Kallis, Bell, Prior, Swann, Zaheer, Steyn, Anderson
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 26-08-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Prior omission and ABdV over Bell kind of odd.

Broad lucky but I don't think Zaheer's played enough tbh.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

On reflection, you could also make an argument for Ajmal over Swann for this year.

International 12th Man
    You can actually make the case for Broad being worthy of a slot in the team. For the period covered (11th August 2010 -> 3rd August 2011) Broad scored 462 runs at 46.20 and took 30 wickets at 28.73.

I still would have Anderson, Steyn, Zaheer and probably Tremlett ahead of him though.

For that same period Swann has 45 wickets at 28.51, Ajmal 27 wickets at 24.88.
    Last edited by pskov; 26-08-2011 at 09:50 AM.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    What do Prior and Bell have to do to get in?

Quote Originally Posted by pskov View Post
    You can actually make the case for Broad being worthy of a slot in the team. For the period covered (11th August 2010 -> 3rd August 2011) Broad scored 462 runs at 46.20 and took 30 wickets at 28.73.

I still would have Anderson, Steyn, Zaheer and probably Tremlett ahead of him though.

For that same period Swann has 45 wickets at 28.51, Ajmal 27 wickets at 24.88.
    Tremlett hasn't played enough. Broad's batting a big bonus once you look at that number.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Broad's batting a big bonus once you look at that number.
    Yeah, fair enough. I'd forgotten that it includes his 169 against Pakistan.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 26-08-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    A closer look at the names on the voting panel may help to explain Broad junior's presence.

Here's the stats for the qualifying period.

The best phrase I can come up with to describe that selection is "steaming pile of bollocks", closely followed by "ICC in screaming ignorance shocker".

FWIW, my XI: Watson, Cook, Trott, Kallis, Bell, de Villiers, +Prior, Swann, Anderson, Zaheer, Steyn.

The hardest thing about this from a selectorial perspective is that several of the batsmen with the best records have a very similar style: you wouldn't want a 3-4-5 of Dravid, Trott and Kallis unless the ICC do decide that Timeless Tests are in order (imagine how many we would have made this summer if they had done...), so de Villiers just gets the nod at six to shake it up a bit. Sangakkara's record is not even remotely good enough to merit consideration. Tremlett is also worth considering as his record is very similar to the other seamers over the period, and a bit of height might be useful in the side, and the fact that Bresnan makes teams win whatever happens is also worth keeping in mind.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that the ICC's XI is not the right one.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    did they let the indian fans vote on it again or something
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

International 12th Man
    Tremlett hasn't played enough. Broad's batting a big bonus once you look at that number.
    Well Tremlett played 2 more matches and took 9 more wickets than Steyn in the period specified....

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Tremlett played 7 games, which is as many as Zaheer and more than any of the South African or Pakistani players.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Tremlett played 7 games, which is as many as Zaheer and more than any of the South African or Pakistani players.
    See earlier post - I don't think Zaheer's played enough either.

Test team of the year in my book = the cricketers who performed the best throughout the relevant period (weighted to make sensible team). Not the same as the World XI currently.

International 12th Man
    See earlier post - I don't think Zaheer's played enough either.

Test team of the year in my book = the cricketers who performed the best throughout the relevant period (weighted to make sensible team). Not the same as the World XI currently.
    So your attack would basically have to be four from Broad, Anderson, Sharma, Swann and Harbhajan? Those are the only bowlers who played 9 or more tests in the period specified.

Quote Originally Posted by pskov View Post
    So your attack would basically have to be four from Broad, Anderson, Sharma, Swann and Harbhajan? Those are the only bowlers who played 9 or more tests in the period specified.
    Hmm I see your point. I guess I was looking more at the number of Tests missed than anything else.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Tendulkar over Bell is ridiculous, Bell averaged 30 more and scored one more hundred.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information