• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vintage Cricket Draft Anyone?

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
POST YOUR PICKS IN THE OTHER DRAFTING THREAD :)

For the past month or so I've doing a Vintage Baseball Draft in another forum (baseball forum). There's 14 players, and the goal is to draft a team of players from the history of baseball. This has been a lot of fun to do, and it's also educational, insofar as I've had to dip into the history of baseball to try and find some hidden gems for my team. Here's the link to check it out and see how it works: Vintage Baseball Draft Thread. I've been thinking that it's be great fun to do with cricket ...

RULES:

1. The draft will be randomised, and we will pick in turn. Check ou this Vintage Baseball Draft I'm involved with to see how the selection will work:Vintage Baseball Draft Thread

2. There will be a 24 hour waiting period between each persons picks. But try and check in much more regularly. We'll suspend the 24 limitation at the weekends. If you miss the 24 hour period, you will be skipped. If you know you'll be away, you can PM or email a short list to me or someone else on the board, and we'll pick for you.

3. Once a player is picked, he's off the board. We all pick unique players! ALL PLAYERS ARE ELIGABLE, including current players.

4. The 7 scoring categories are (this simplifies it a bit):

Batting:

Batting Average
Career Runs Scored
Number of Hundreds

Bowling:

Bowling Average
Career Wickets
5-Wicket Hauls

Fielding:

Fielding Dismissals (including all forms of W/K dismissal, Catches and Run outs)

5. You must select the following positions (the brackets explain the positions):

Op - (Opener)
Op -
Mi - (Middle Order Batsman)
Mi -
Mi -
Mi -
Res - (Reserve)

WK - (Wicket Keeper)

B - (Bowler)
B -
B -
B -
B -

6. The eligability for a position is 10 GAMES. If you click the names of the players on the stats pages (below), you can find how many games they played at the various positions.

7. No-one can have more than 4 players from 1 test playing nation, and everyone has to have at least 1 player from each (Zimbabwe and Bangledesh apart). This will make it very interesting! Drafting tactics will play a big part.

8. These are some free stats sites to help you in your selections:

HOWSTAT BATTING STATS

HOWSTAT BOWLING STATS

Test Cricket Tens - annoying pop ups ... but good stats.

(I'll add more as we find them)

9. Scoring: at the end we will tally up the totals from everyone's teams. Each will be given points according to where you finish in each scoring category. The winner is the one with most overall points. The AVERAGE totals will be the most difficult to manage. This will obviously be effected by the amount of innings a batsman or bowler has i.e. 4000 overs at a bowling average of 35 could be quite a handicap to your team total. You have to manage this well.

10. This is a stats contest, so please do not be blinded by the big names, or the "greatest ever" lists. There are 7 scoring categories. I am imagining that the big time all-rounders will be the most valuable. You have to figure these things out for yourself though ...

RANDOMISED DRAFT ORDER:

1. Mister Wright
2. luckyeddie
3. Slats4ever
4. marc71178
5. PY
6. JohnnyA
7. gibbsnsmith
8. Mr Mxyzptlk
9. Neil Pickup
10. Iamdavid
11. age_master

There are no official rankings here, because we are using a unique scoring system. Please beware that the "best" batter of bowler is not necessarily the "best" pick.

EDIT: Please do not be mentioning or discussing names before they have been picked. It's fine to give a justification of your own pick, and to comment on players who have already been selected. No point giving away drafting strategy to you competitors!!!

EDIT: IF a player has taken less than 100 wickets, or average more than 40.00, his stats willautomatically be disregarded unless the GM stats otherwise.

EDIT: If a player has scored less than 1000 runs or averages less than 13.00, his stats will automatically be disregarded unless the GM states otherwise.

I'll deal with any anomolous situations as they emerge.

So for instance, if you want to pick Viv Richards, but don't like the fact that he took 60 wickets at an average of 61, then his bowling stats will not harm your team average. His 61 average could be harmful for your overall team bowling average. Similar with Courtney Walsh's or Murali's crippling 130+ batting dismissals.

EDIT: YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE AND WILLING TO CHECK IN ON QUITE A REGULAR BASIS ... the 24 hour limit is a very leisurely pace.

Last edited:

Cloete

International Captain
what happens? wouldn't we just all pick the best players? this is quite an innovative idea, but extremely confusing :saint:

PY

International Coach
I'm a pretty regular visitor, I'm in. :) And I do understand ;)

Must be the air that affecting their Aussie minds :P

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Yeah I had a look at them. Looks like a good staring point. WE can use these links for Batting and Bowling stats. If you use the RED links along the top of each column, then you can see the leaders in BA, Runs scored, Hundreds, Wickets etc. etc. etc.

BATTING STATS

BOWLING STATS

Rememeber ... guys who have played more games/innings will have more of an effect on your team average in terms of Batting Average and Bowling Average. For instance, if you pick W. Barnes who has a bowling average of 15.55. You have to include into the mix the fact that he bowled only 569 overs. Curtly Amboses 3700 innings at 20.99 will be much much more effective on your team Bowling Average.

Any thoughts on additional scoring categories. So far we have:

Batting:

Batting Average
Career Runs Scored
Number of Hundreds

Bowling:

Bowling Average
Strike Rate
Career Wickets
5-Wicket Hauls

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Three more needed. So far we have:

1. JohnnyA
2. Slats4ever
3. PY
4. Mr Mxyzptlk
5. Neil Pickup
6. Mister Wright
7. luckyeddie
8. marc71178
9. gibbsnsmith

Keep the feedback coming ... (or start it coming ;))

Jon

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
DRAFT ORDER:

1. Mister Wright
2. luckyeddie
3. Slats4ever
4. marc71178
5. PY
6. JohnnyA
7. gibbsnsmith
8. Mr Mxyzptlk
9. Neil Pickup
10. iamdavid
11. age_master

There are no official rankings here, because we are using a unique scoring system. Please beware the the "best" batter of bowler is not necessarily the "best" pick.

Anyone else can jump in, as long as we have not finished the first round of drafting. After that, the draft will be set. PLEASE MAKE A POST IF YOU WANT IN.

Last edited:

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Please pick like so:

1.01 Jim Smith

The first 1 is the round. The 01 is your place in the draft. This will be reversed when the draft doubles back at the end of each round. The last person will pick twice:

1.09 Harry Karri

2.01 Schrinivasalakavasikan ...

Check the Vintage Baseball Draft tthread linked in the very first post. That should answer any questions.

It would be nice if you could give a brief explanation of your pick, and why you picked him. Also, if you have his stats, you could post them too.

Anyone else can jump in, as long as we have not finished the first round of drafting. After that, the draft will be set. PLEASE MAKE A POST IF YOU WANT IN.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A few quick questions before I begin (I apologise, I don't have the time to look through the entire baseball thread):

1. Does keepe'rs points include stumpings with catches?

2. Can I pick yet?

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Mister Wright said:
A few quick questions before I begin (I apologise, I don't have the time to look through the entire baseball thread):

1. Does keepe'rs points include stumpings with catches?

2. Can I pick yet?
Good question: let's say dismissals instead of catches. That will include all wicket keeping dismissals, run outs and outfield catches. I'll update the rules. That should increase the value of WK's a little :)

I'll continually update the first post, so you can refer there if you need reminding about rules etc.

Yes you can pick!