• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vintage Cricket Draft Anyone?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First of all - KEEPING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION ON THE FIELD!!!

Keeping to spinners is tough, trust me I've tried it. You have to be concerntrating every single ball, because that could be the one! You have to keep your team alive even when things are up the creek. You have the vantage point of seeing everything, what the ball is doing, what the batsman are doing, what the bowler is doing, what the fielders are doing. You need to think about all this while concerntrating on your own performance. TRUST ME it is not as simple as putting the gloves on!!!

I have no problem with Johnny A selecting Tillekeratne he kept for at least 10 matches and that is the rule. And the Sri Lankan selectors do consider him as a keeper because I remember him being the reserve keeper for the Australian VB series and the world cup.

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Mister Wright said:
First of all - KEEPING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION ON THE FIELD!!!

Keeping to spinners is tough, trust me I've tried it. You have to be concerntrating every single ball, because that could be the one! You have to keep your team alive even when things are up the creek. You have the vantage point of seeing everything, what the ball is doing, what the batsman are doing, what the bowler is doing, what the fielders are doing. You need to think about all this while concerntrating on your own performance. TRUST ME it is not as simple as putting the gloves on!!!

I have no problem with Johnny A selecting Tillekeratne he kept for at least 10 matches and that is the rule. And the Sri Lankan selectors do consider him as a keeper because I remember him being the reserve keeper for the Australian VB series and the world cup.
I agree MW ... it is the most important position on the field. But in terms over the overall team setup, the WK has to also have the ability to balance the teams batting, and score runs. You can maybe afford a defensive cather against Bangledesh or Zimbabwe, but against the stronger nations, you need a big bat in there.

OK perhaps I'm overstating things because of the debate about Tillekeratne, but not considering that discussion for a moment ... I don't see why more batsmen on the periphery of the test team don't really make an effort to take up the gloves. It might be hard work getting used to it. But if its the difference between playing test match cricket, and playing county cricket, I know what I'd be spending my winter doing!!

It's nothing a bit of hard work, practice and good coaching couldn't fix.

Another baseball comparison. There are 9 hitting slots in a baseball team ... the catcher and pitcher (in NL teams) have to hit. Having a catcher who can also hit like a regular player gives that team a huge advantage. Like cricket, catchers who hit really well are rare. But you'll not be surprise to note, that of the last 4 teams in this years Playoffs, 3 of them "coincidentally" had the top 3 hitting catchers in all of baseball (Ivan Rodriguez, Jorge Posada and Jason Varitek) ... and Rodriguez was the postseason MVP (because of his batting!).

Rodriguez is a great defensive catcher, but the other two are cetainly not. Rodriguez is a freak of nature! Posada and Vartiek earn their place because of their immense offensive contribution ... and their teams win as a consequence ... despite making the odd mistake. Rodriguez led the Marliins to the World Series.

In fantasy baseball (a multi million dollar industry in the States), the same ruling applies. Because great hiiting catchers are rare, they go early in the draft. So everyone is on the lookout for other fielders who qualify for the poistion by meeting the minimum requirements. IT'S PART OF THE STRATEGY OF THE GAME!!!

Players who do the best research WIN ... and they often win LOTS of money (thousands of $$$$$). Walcott was a great pick I didn't realise he started life as a WK. I might have tried to wait a few rounds more and try and get him cheap! Fantastic research and knowledge of the game ... like Walcott, Tillekeratne was a great pick!

It's also part of the strategy of drafting to try and get players cheaper then their real value. In fact, this is the ESSENCE of drafting. The person who make most profit on their picks will win. I thought about leaving Tillekeratne for the next round and picking Miandad instead. Miandad and Tillekeratne would be of higher value that Tillekeratne and ******* (not allowed to name names).

I could have risked leaving Tillekeratne, and made a higher profit on my 4th and 5th picks, but I figured that someone else would know that he started life as a WK, and is often selected as the Sri Lankan reserve keeper. He would never have made it back to me! He scored a double hundred against England AS a keeper didn't he? That's how I remember.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
And here's me thinking it was all a bit of fun - a pointless exercise even.

Total research done by me so far - about 1 minute per player - I just picked a name, plugged him into StatsGuru and got the statistics.

Good grief, if I was serious about this, I would have obtained all the career stats from the history of test cricket, bribed the organiser for the algorithm and written a program to do my selections.

I'll stick with my basic knowledge of the history of the game acquired through 30 years of quizzes and a lifetime of love and see if I can avoid finishing bottom.

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
luckyeddie said:
And here's me thinking it was all a bit of fun - a pointless exercise even.

Total research done by me so far - about 1 minute per player - I just picked a name, plugged him into StatsGuru and got the statistics.

Good grief, if I was serious about this, I would have obtained all the career stats from the history of test cricket, bribed the organiser for the algorithm and written a program to do my selections.

I'll stick with my basic knowledge of the history of the game acquired through 30 years of quizzes and a lifetime of love and see if I can avoid finishing bottom.
Your right, it is only a bit of fun ... but that doesn't mean we should be competitive :) That adds to the enjoyment. I haven't given that much thought either to be fair ... the first few rounds are usually pretty easy in this type of thing.

But I'm establishing a "real time" league using only current test and one day players, and future/accumulative stats. I'm using this Vintage Draft as as a test to see who is most interested, and who will be prepared to devote more time to the league. I only have 4 or 5 places left.

The real league will be drafted like this. But it will be a real league, not just a draft. It will run until every test match team has played each other home and away. It will also include One Day stats to add extra tactial playability. After this (2 years down the line), a winner will be declared, each team will keep a set number of players, and the rest will go into the pool for re-draft .... and we'll start again (hopefully).

There will be reserve squad players so you can adjust your lineup for forthcoming tests, and a "farm"/"Prospect" system where you can draft future prospects and store them away until they mature into test players.

I've already partially built the website, and will have to input all the stats myself. So I'm only willing to do all this work for people who will be commited to making a go of the league, and to devote some time to it.

It might be a pointless excerise for you, but it has a pupose for me. I think it's good that people are looking for loopholes and arguing about points of protocol etc (although I will be closing the loopholes if I feel it detrimentally effects the outcome).

Jon

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JohnnyA said:
Similar principles, that was the point.
How is selecting a batsman who has kept wicket for a tiny percentage of his career the same principle as a catcher who will play his entire career there?

It is underhand IMO, and renders the whole point of the exercise useless.

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
How is selecting a batsman who has kept wicket for a tiny percentage of his career the same principle as a catcher who will play his entire career there?

It is underhand IMO, and renders the whole point of the exercise useless.
Read my posts before you answer. You reply lacks any content, coherence and sense ... hot air. I never made any comparision betweem part-time WK's like Tillekeratne/Walcott and full-time catchers :rolleyes:

The rule has not changed from the start:

"6. The eligability for a position is 10 GAMES. If you click the names of the players on the stats pages (below), you can find how many games they played at the various positions."

There has never been a debate. Same for whoever picked Walcott, for me with Tillekeratne, and I'm sure we'll see people putting guys in the opener slots etc who might not be usually seen as openers ... but they qualify due to having played there for a certain proportion of their career.

The point of the game is not to create imaginary world XI's. It's to pick players who score you most points in the sccoring categories.

Last edited:

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
I've clarified the rules about bowlers' batting reords, and batters' bowling records. See the "EDITS" in the first post of this thread.

In the interests of not unbalancing things, I suggest we use these minimums as a qualification for putting players in batting or bowling slots.

Jon

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i think alot of people will struggle in picking players from countries like NZL, SRL and RSA, the first 2 haven't had many players that are that great and South africa was out of test cricket of a long time

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i think alot of people will struggle in picking players from countries like NZL, SRL and RSA, the first 2 haven't had many players that are that great and South africa was out of test cricket of a long time
Everyone is in the same boat, so it comes down to strategy.

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Mister Wright said:
Can I claim the 200+ runs and the hundred Lara got against Zimbabwe?
Don't see why not ...

But we'll freeze the stats when the last pick is made.

I bet you wished we had already started that live league, and had Lara on board!!! :)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
JohnnyA said:
Don't see why not ...

But we'll freeze the stats when the last pick is made.

I bet you wished we had already started that live league, and had Lara on board!!! :)
i dont think thats entireley fair as not everyone has players that will be playing the same number of games in the period of the draft even for players that are still playing like Waugh, Gilchrist, Astle, Fleming etc.

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
The only place I can fairly draw the line is at the end. What if next week someone pick Chanderpaul. And Chanderpaul scores a hundred just before he picks him. Chanderpauls' hundred will have come after Lara's. But because Chanderpaul's stats will be froozen only when he's picked, his hundred will count, whereas Lara's will not.

The guy who picked Lara will be justifiably annoyed. And it's impossible for me to keep retroactive stats as they were at a particular date and time. We're reliant on the stats sites for our info, and they keep updating their records.

Good stats and bad stats will count ... so it works both ways.