Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Cricket Draft Anyone?

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    No one will be worrying about selecting Imran or Kapil (or Garfield, or Ian Terence) any longer. I believe they're four out of the five greatest by a long chalk..
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Long term, I want to start a roto style fantasy cricket league similar to this one. Maybe if you guys like this roto style of fantasy play, we can get a "real" fantasy league up and running ... of course we'd have to keep the stats ourselves on a spreadsheet.

This is just a draft . The real roto league would use only contemporary players. We'd accumulate points in the same manner as this league. But only new stats would count ... therefore young players, or up and coming players would have greater value than normal.

We would have a revolving squad, and also a "farm list", which would consist of promising players who may be a few years away ... you can hide these players away until they're mature ... then they're yours!!

If you're intersted in this, I'd advice you to study and prepare for this Vintage draft carefully. Drafting strategy is essential in selecting a good team for proper roto style leagues.

When everyone has made their first pick, then I'll make some comments about the picks so far. And perhaps give some advice. There are certain essentials about drafts like this that have to be adhered to in order to succeed.

Most seem to be well on top of things though ... good picks so far!

Jon
    Last edited by JohnnyA; 26-10-2003 at 01:13 AM.
    EMAIL: johnnya24@yahoo.co.uk

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    Welll you can't really go wrong with Donald
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

Two excellent picks from the Age Meistro ... incidently, those are called the "turn picks".

Everyone seems to have a hold on what's going on.

Just one piece of advice. The good players will dry up very very quicky. You gotta get those big numbers while the players are still available.

While I understand Gibbs' Gibbs pick, you could have had him in the 5th or 6th round, so that was a bit of a wasted 1st rounder But it's only a bit of fun, so I wouldn't worry 'bout it.

A couple went for positional scarcity with wicket keeper picks. This might be good strategy, and shows you appreciate the rules. But I think that, while Gilchrist has a very nice batting average, his other stats are dwarfed by other players. I would have waited in picking him a round or two. But maybe you're thinking that by the time you pick your 3rd pick, he won't be around. In that case it's OK I guess.

I think I'll do a ranking list as we go along ... of the players that have been selected. I use some sort of objective formula.

Jon
    Last edited by JohnnyA; 26-10-2003 at 01:59 AM.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Just one more thing mate , do the bowlers batting stats have any effect??

Originally posted by iamdavid
    Just one more thing mate , do the bowlers batting stats have any effect??
    Yeah ... all batting stats count toward the total. You can ignore certain batters bowling stats (as stated in the original post), but not batting stats.

If it's any conslation, since number 11's don't face that many balls, they will only have a nominal effect on your team batting average.

Jon

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    I don't think it is fair that you can disgard batters bowling stats because they can bring the team down. If you can do it for baqtters you should be able to do it with bowlers (scratching their batting stats).
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Originally posted by Mister Wright
    I don't think it is fair that you can disgard batters bowling stats because they can bring the team down. If you can do it for baqtters you should be able to do it with bowlers (scratching their batting stats).
    My point was that bowlers have to bat. Batters don't have to to bowl.

But I'll gladly leave it up to concensus opinion. Do y'all want to make batters bowling stats compulsory, or shall we leave it as I stated ton the rules. No-one has picked anyone and disgarded th bowling stats yet, so it's still fair to male this decision now IMO

Jon.

Nice pick with Walcott Mr Mx... he was way of my radar. I'll have to brush up my short list!

Burger Time Champion!
    PY: even though you picked Alan Knott (and said he wasn't a keeper/batsman) his (batting) stats are not that bad.

PY
    Yeah, I guess what I said was slightly mis-leading. I picked the person with most runs, highest average and most dismissals who was left. Can't really argue with 4000+ runs at Test level can you?

A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Wow ... 7 WK's picked already ...I think some of us hit the panic button. But since everyone seem to have been of the same opinion (or made the same mistake , you might just get away with it.

These are called "rushes" in drafting parlance. In baseball you normally get "closer rushes", and an occasionaly "catcher rush" in the middle rounds. I'm surprised we've had a rush like this so soon ... very surprised.

Jon

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    There aren't many outstanding WK bats in cricket, so I expect that people are catering for this.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Burger Time Champion!
    Perhaps if we were only counting dismissals then there would not have been such a rush, but because the points include batting record you have to get the best while you can, because as Mr. Mxyzptlk said "There aren't that many outstanding WK bats in cricket..."

Originally posted by Mister Wright
    Perhaps if we were only counting dismissals then there would not have been such a rush, but because the points include batting record you have to get the best while you can, because as Mr. Mxyzptlk said "There aren't that many outstanding WK bats in cricket..."
    That's true ... there are only a few world class WK'ers with batting records worthy of a place. That'll be something to worry about later

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information