• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vintage Cricket Draft Anyone?

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Slats4ever said:
do u have MSN Johhny A?
If not get it!
if u do what's ur addy
I have Windows Messenger ... if that's the same :)

Johnnya24 is my handle if so.

Please make your picks in the other thread ... this thread is for discussion and debate about the draft. Thanks, Jon.

Last edited:

iamdavid

International Debutant
Just a few things Im not 100% on ,
Will you gain extra points by picking batsman who can bowl a little (ie: do batsman's bowling stats & bowlers batting stats count) and if so are they weighted to reflect the fact these guys dont bowl much.

Also I assume we are picking current players right??:D

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
iamdavid said:
Just a few things Im not 100% on ,
Will you gain extra points by picking batsman who can bowl a little (ie: do batsman's bowling stats & bowlers batting stats count) and if so are they weighted to reflect the fact these guys dont bowl much.

Also I assume we are picking current players right??:D
Current players ... yes ...

There WAS a clause at the end of the rules in the first post of this thread that dealt with this. I've no idea where it went. I'll update it again :( It stated that: If you select a player as a batter you can elect to discard his bowling stats as long as he has taken less than 100 wickets.

So for instance, if you want to pick Viv Richards, but don't like the fact that he took 60 wickets at an average of 61, then you can elect to discard is bowling stats. His 61 average could be harmful for your overall team bowling average. BUT you have to discard ALL his bowling stats. You can't keep his 60 wickets and discard his harmful Bowling Average.

But if you pick Ian Botham or Kapil Dev, then that's a different matter.

Hope that helps.

Jon

EDIT: I just added the 100 wicket limit (I forgot)

Please make your picks in the other thread ... this thread is for discussion and debate about the draft. Thanks, Jon.

Last edited:

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Really nice pick with Imran Khan Mr Mxyzptlk. Maybe the best all-rounder stats wise now that I'm thinking about it.

Those averages in both batting and bowling are incredible.

Jon

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
No one will be worrying about selecting Imran or Kapil (or Garfield, or Ian Terence) any longer. I believe they're four out of the five greatest by a long chalk..

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Long term, I want to start a roto style fantasy cricket league similar to this one. Maybe if you guys like this roto style of fantasy play, we can get a "real" fantasy league up and running ... of course we'd have to keep the stats ourselves on a spreadsheet.

This is just a draft . The real roto league would use only contemporary players. We'd accumulate points in the same manner as this league. But only new stats would count ... therefore young players, or up and coming players would have greater value than normal.

We would have a revolving squad, and also a "farm list", which would consist of promising players who may be a few years away ... you can hide these players away until they're mature ... then they're yours!!

If you're intersted in this, I'd advice you to study and prepare for this Vintage draft carefully. Drafting strategy is essential in selecting a good team for proper roto style leagues.

When everyone has made their first pick, then I'll make some comments about the picks so far. And perhaps give some advice. There are certain essentials about drafts like this that have to be adhered to in order to succeed.

Most seem to be well on top of things though ... good picks so far!

Jon

Last edited:

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Two excellent picks from the Age Meistro ... incidently, those are called the "turn picks".

Everyone seems to have a hold on what's going on.

Just one piece of advice. The good players will dry up very very quicky. You gotta get those big numbers while the players are still available.

While I understand Gibbs' Gibbs pick, you could have had him in the 5th or 6th round, so that was a bit of a wasted 1st rounder :) But it's only a bit of fun, so I wouldn't worry 'bout it.

A couple went for positional scarcity with wicket keeper picks. This might be good strategy, and shows you appreciate the rules. But I think that, while Gilchrist has a very nice batting average, his other stats are dwarfed by other players. I would have waited in picking him a round or two. But maybe you're thinking that by the time you pick your 3rd pick, he won't be around. In that case it's OK I guess.

I think I'll do a ranking list as we go along ... of the players that have been selected. I use some sort of objective formula.

Jon

Last edited:

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
iamdavid said:
Just one more thing mate , do the bowlers batting stats have any effect??
Yeah ... all batting stats count toward the total. You can ignore certain batters bowling stats (as stated in the original post), but not batting stats.

If it's any conslation, since number 11's don't face that many balls, they will only have a nominal effect on your team batting average.

Jon

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think it is fair that you can disgard batters bowling stats because they can bring the team down. If you can do it for baqtters you should be able to do it with bowlers (scratching their batting stats).

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Mister Wright said:
I don't think it is fair that you can disgard batters bowling stats because they can bring the team down. If you can do it for baqtters you should be able to do it with bowlers (scratching their batting stats).
My point was that bowlers have to bat. Batters don't have to to bowl.

But I'll gladly leave it up to concensus opinion. Do y'all want to make batters bowling stats compulsory, or shall we leave it as I stated ton the rules. No-one has picked anyone and disgarded th bowling stats yet, so it's still fair to male this decision now IMO

Jon.

Mister Wright

PY: even though you picked Alan Knott (and said he wasn't a keeper/batsman) his (batting) stats are not that bad.

PY

International Coach
Yeah, I guess what I said was slightly mis-leading. I picked the person with most runs, highest average and most dismissals who was left. Can't really argue with 4000+ runs at Test level can you?

:)

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Wow ... 7 WK's picked already ...I think some of us hit the panic button. But since everyone seem to have been of the same opinion (or made the same mistake ;), you might just get away with it.

These are called "rushes" in drafting parlance. In baseball you normally get "closer rushes", and an occasionaly "catcher rush" in the middle rounds. I'm surprised we've had a rush like this so soon ... very surprised.

Jon

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There aren't many outstanding WK bats in cricket, so I expect that people are catering for this.

Mister Wright

Perhaps if we were only counting dismissals then there would not have been such a rush, but because the points include batting record you have to get the best while you can, because as Mr. Mxyzptlk said "There aren't that many outstanding WK bats in cricket..."

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Mister Wright said:
Perhaps if we were only counting dismissals then there would not have been such a rush, but because the points include batting record you have to get the best while you can, because as Mr. Mxyzptlk said "There aren't that many outstanding WK bats in cricket..."
That's true ... there are only a few world class WK'ers with batting records worthy of a place. That'll be something to worry about later :)