• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your current English 1st & 2nd Test XI's ....

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well. I agree that if I was picking a first 11, I'd do without ravi or eoin, but I see no reason to change the balance of the team, I'd definitely put another bat in. Yet anyway, the second xi should surely be based on the one after the selectors guessed preferred one, which is:

Strauss
Cook
Trott
Kp
Bell
Morgan
Prior
Bres
Broad
Swann
Anderson

Carberry
Hales
Davies
Taylor
Hildreth
Bopara
Patel
Tremlett
Onions
Finn
Panesar

obviously the second side is more opinion-based, not sure of all the Ramps love has been ordinary recently, both Finn and Panesar look really improved recently, both seemed to have learnt lessons. Monty is tryiong more variation, and Finn seems more agressive and has more of a stock ball.
Looks about right, given that the 2nd XI batting is something of a guess. I might be wrong, but I get the impression that Scott Newman has done rather more than Carberry this season, fwiw.

Jacknife

International Captain
Looks about right, given that the 2nd XI batting is something of a guess. I might be wrong, but I get the impression that Scott Newman has done rather more than Carberry this season, fwiw.
I think Scott Newman this year averages 31 and hasn't scored a ton, played alot more than Carberry but still hasn't done that great.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think Scott Newman this year averages 31 and hasn't scored a ton, played alot more than Carberry but still hasn't done that great.
Fair enough. It would be good to see one of our young openers push on after a solitary good season. Lyth appears to have fallen away this year, and Denly's struggled for a couple of years IIRC.

Jacknife

International Captain
Fair enough. It would be good to see one of our young openers push on after a solitary good season. Lyth appears to have fallen away this year, and Denly's struggled for a couple of years IIRC.
Agree, it is one of the areas for England where there isn't many players pushing for call ups.

pskov

International 12th Man
You could have Steven Davies opening. A big workload in test matches to both open and keep wicket, but he's done it before for Surrey in the County Championship.

OMM!

U19 12th Man
England 1st XI:-
Strauss(c)
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Morgan
Prior(wk)
Broad
Swann
Tremlett
Anderson

England 2nd XI:-
Hales
Trescothick (Root if Tres doesn't count)
Bopara
Taylor(c)
Stokes
Bairstow
Davies(wk)
Bresnan
Finn
Panesar
Onions

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2nd XI

Hales
Nash
Root
Taylor(c)
Stokes
Fatel
Bairstow (wk)
Woakes
Tremlett
Finn
Onions

Ravi (waterboy)
Donkey Panesar (if necessary)

OMM!

U19 12th Man
How about this split - Norf vs. Sarf....

(or Durham, Yorks, Lancs, Notts, Derbys, Leics, Worcs, Warwicks and Northants vs. Somerset, Hants, Surrey, Essex, Kent, Gloucs, Middlesex, Sussex and Glam)....

England North:-
Taylor
Hales
Trott
Bell(c)
Stokes
Patel
Bairstow(wk)
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson

England South:-
Strauss(c)
Cook
Bopara
Pietersen
Morgan
Hildreth
Prior(wk)
Tremlett
Finn
Dernbach
Panesar

FBU

International Debutant
1st XI

Cook
Strauss
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Taylor
Prior
Broad
Swann
Tremlett
Anderson

Hales
Compton
Bairstow
Patel
Stokes
Morgan
Kieswetter
Bresnan
Woakes
Finn
Kerrigan

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So depressing seeing English fans talking about 2nd XI's competing on the World stage, I used to like it when the first test was struggling to compete!

No, fair play to England, the English 2nd string bowling attack would still be one of the best in the World, so they would always be competitive.

Spark

Global Moderator

(or Durham, Yorks, Lancs, Notts, Derbys, Leics, Worcs, Warwicks and Northants vs. Somerset, Hants, Surrey, Essex, Kent, Gloucs, Middlesex, Sussex and Glam)....

Taylor
Hales
Trott
Bell(c)
Stokes
Patel
Bairstow(wk)
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson

Strauss(c)
Cook
Bopara
Pietersen
Morgan
Hildreth
Prior(wk)
Tremlett
Finn
Dernbach
Panesar
North - probably has the slightly weaker batting but definitively stronger bowling.

Jacknife

International Captain

Taylor
Hales
Trott
Bell(c)
Stokes
Patel
Bairstow(wk)
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson

Strauss(c)
Cook
Bopara
Pietersen
Morgan
Hildreth
Prior(wk)
Tremlett
Finn
Dernbach
Panesar
Probably go for Harris instead of Dirtbag in the South team, much better first class cricketer even though Dirtbag has improved a lot this last year.