• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Heroic in the face of a hammering

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Its just about 1 match and not the whole series where a batsman's effort went in vain, but I really want to share it with you people as its my 1st day on cricketweb.

I remember Yusuf Pathan playing some brutal cricket against South Africa in South Africa,
He was not considered in the first 2 matches because of the bowling pitches in South Africa
even though he had just scored a century and won a game against New Zealand which was almost
lost, he was picked in the last 3 matches and he scored a 59 and a 105.

This might not sound too big, but in both his innings he was hit on the body quite a few
times by the hostile South African bowlers, it was on bouncy South African wickets against
the in form South African attack of Dale Steyn, Morne Morkel,Lonwabo Tsotsotbe and Johan
Botha. And to add to it, there was always the pressure of the increasing run rate when he came in to bat.

He was hit twice at Cape Town, and at Centurion, another delivery got him in the shoulder,
after which he had to get some treatment. His response was to ask for a Powerplay, which he
was denied. Bad shoulder, no Powerplay, smack back-to-back sixes over the deep fielders'
heads.

His 59 in the 3rd ODI won us the game, his innings of 105 came when the series was
levelled(2-2) and India were 60 for 5, and were soon reduced to 98 for 7, Yusuf was still
confident of winning the series for India, even though the other Indian batsmen were jumping
up and down against the South African fast bowlers. Yusuf didn't play negatively like
others, he just dealt with equal fire against all the bowlers. He hit 8 sixes and 8 fours to
score a 70 ball 105. At one point it looked liked India would be allout under 120 runs but
Yusuf took India to a respectable total of 234 runs and almost won us the game.

He was in despair when he was caught on 105. Never mind, he is a hero.

Yusuf's century off 68 balls, the sixth-fastest by an Indian, and the second-fastest outside
the subcontinent, didn't win India the match: it was too much of a climb after the hole the
top order had dug. When he walked back after his dismissal, not one person in the sold-out
SuperSport Park was sitting, they gave him a standing ovation. They knew they had seen
something special: one of the best exhibitions of hitting in a losing cause. They let Yusuf
know that. They were thanking Yusuf for rescuing the last day of what has been a thoroughly
enjoyable tour for them.

It was just one match, but that match can never be erased from the memories of people who
were at the Centurion that day, people who didn't turn off the tv and expected some fight
till Yusuf was there, people who really think that the match is not over till the last ball.

Yusuf is yet to prove himself at the international level, but if you talk about attitude, very few can match Yusuf. He has always played for the team's cause, unlike the other soft Indian youngsters who just try to cement their place in the team and play selfish cricket.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chanderpaul against England in 2007 too. Windies were thrashed 3-0, including a victory by an innings and 283 runs. IIRC Chanderpaul batted for 1000 minutes without being dismissed in the latter two Tests, in addition to a couple of fifties early on.
Was going to be my nom.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Lamb's three hundreds in 1984's blackwash comes immediately to mind. Lara scoring massively in huge defeats in SL. Rodney Hogg taking over 40 wickets when his side went down 1-5 in 1978/79.

Other contenders?
That was unreal. One of the first complete test series I watched and it looked like he was batting on a different strip from the rest of them.
Vaas with his swing, cutters and bowling intelligence bordered on being unplayable at times while the Murali factor was always gigantic, especially in Sri Lanka. It was seemingly one man against an army on their turf and yet he remained unconquered; West Indies lost though!

Another series which comes to mind is Warne's Ashes 2005 with both ball and bat. But it wasn't a hammering by any means. Dilip Vengsarkar's efforts in the 1983-84 West Indian humiliation of India could be a fair contention. Michael Vaughan's batting in the 2002-03 Ashes as well.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Annoyed with myself for not remembering it until now, but AB's epic series in the Caribbean in 1984 must rank. Off the top of my head he scored 521 runs at 74 against Marshall and Garner at their best, as Australia lost the series 3-0, a scoreline which flattered us.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Sachin vs. Australia in 1999/2000?
Averaged a tick under 50 didn't he? It was a good series, a very good one I suppose given the opposition and circumstance, but IMO doesn't compare with many of the other efforts mentioned so far.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't really a hammering by any means.

Btw, most of the instances mentioned in this thread so far have not been big series defeats or just individual tests:p

subshakerz

International Coach
In the 82-83 series of Pakistan vs. India, the series in which Imran was a one-man wrecking ball with 40 wickets and Pakistan won 3-0, Mohinder Amarnath averaged 70+ with 3 tons and 3 50s.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
In the 82-83 series of Pakistan vs. India, the series in which Imran was a one-man wrecking ball with 40 wickets and Pakistan won 3-0, Mohinder Amarnath averaged 70+ with 3 tons and 3 50s.
that was a dravid-like performance, he then repeated the effort in an even tougher series in the west indies where india lost quite handily...