• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Saker-Appreciation

Xuhaib

International Coach
Anderson had his most productive period under his monitoring, Finn and Bresnan come in to test cricket and immediately look at ease never imagined bresnan would be such a huge success when I first saw him. Tremlett makes his return after 4 years and just like others have his best performance for England during this period and last but not least Broad turns around his woeful form starts bowling like an ATG when many were questioning his place in the side.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That and he paid his own way to the interview in England then told CA to shove it when they offered him a job. WAFG.

Xuhaib

International Coach
England seems to have a knack of picking great coaches before Saker there was Troy Cooley even Andy Flower seems like a gun choice.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What was the reason he told CA to shove it, is it known?

He's doing a wonderful job by all accounts.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
England seems to have a knack of picking great coaches before Saker there was Troy Cooley even Andy Flower seems like a gun choice.
Cooley's stock has plummeted since he left tbh. He obviously did a good job with Flintoff and Jones in helping them get the ball to reverse. Hoggard and Harmison weren't noticeably better or worse in his tenure. However, James Anderson...well...

He's also in charge of the Aussie quicks now IIRC

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Cooley's stock has plummeted since he left tbh. He obviously did a good job with Flintoff and Jones in helping them get the ball to reverse. Hoggard and Harmison weren't noticeably better or worse in his tenure. However, James Anderson...well...

He's also in charge of the Aussie quicks now IIRC
He was for the last few years but recently he left the position as bowling coach and Craig Mcdermott has replaced him. By all reports, Cooley didn't do a terrible job but one feels he tried to change Johnson's bowling action/style too many times.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
It was apparently Saker who saw Tremlett bowl two deliveries to KP in the nets last summer and went to Flower and told him he should be in the Ashes squad. Good call!

This winter will be the real test for Saker - he's done great so far but it's all very well for an Aussie to come up with brilliant plans for each test pitch in Australia, it's going to be tougher for him to do it in Dubai and Sri Lanka.

Top_Cat

What was the reason he told CA to shove it, is it known?

He's doing a wonderful job by all accounts.
Can't remember where I read it but I think he was only seriously considered for the pace bowling spot here after he interviewed in England.

tooextracool

International Coach
Cooley's stock has plummeted since he left tbh. He obviously did a good job with Flintoff and Jones in helping them get the ball to reverse.
Very much doubt that Cooley had anything to do with reverse swing. Jones was known to get the ball to reverse while Cooley was nowhere near England. By all accounts, Flintoff picked up the skill from Jones.

flibbertyjibber

Saker has done a fine job so far. Shane Warne has always talked him up since he was appointed and for once he has got something right.

FBU

International Debutant
Very much doubt that Cooley had anything to do with reverse swing. Jones was known to get the ball to reverse while Cooley was nowhere near England. By all accounts, Flintoff picked up the skill from Jones.
Yes that is also what I read.

I think the Enforcer role has been passed to Bresnan.

Last edited:

OMM!

U19 12th Man
Big Timmy Bresnan is the enforcer now.

Smashed Mukund, Yuvraj and Raina to pieces!

Saker's biggest asset is his ability to get the bowlers thinking for themselves.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I was under the impression sugary sweets had a lot to do with the reverse swing we found in 2005? or was that just bitching by hating Aussies? :ph34r:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He's an interesting cat. Very proud of his achievements, and the fact that he started late and didn't come through "the system" as well. He was the Vic U/19 coach for one of my seasons there, and he was a very hard taskmaster, but had huge amounts of time for anyone willing to learn, and for smart cricketers.

As a bowling coach, he's not massively concerned with the technical side of things in terms of injury prevention and that sort of thing. From what I saw of him working with the quicks it's more about getting the most out of your action and making you threaten as often as possible. Tends to leave the conditioning and injury prevention up to the physios and fitness people, you won't be seeing too much "realignment" of actions.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Indeed. No point staying fit and bowling pies for 5 days. Just bowl good FFS. Interesting that Johnson seems a lot better now too under McDermott, seems to have accepted his **** action and just bowls.