• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will eventually replace Strauss?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
As England's other opener, that is. Boycott mentioned Joe Root the other day, but he is very young. Maybe Alex Hales? Are there any other young openers out there who are making a case?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Can promise you it won't be Denly. Looks like one of those cases where statistical variance has given him an overly good first season, and the rest of his career will see him rapidly regressing back to a rather lower mean.

weeman27bob

International Regular
The Guardian was suggesting that Trott will open the batting with Cook, and Bell will come in at three.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Depends how long Strauss goes on for. By the time we have had the back to back ashes which is when Strauss will probably step down we may have an opener in county cricket who has had 2 seasons scoring over 1500 runs in each averaging over 50 in division 1 so they should get the chance. Be it Root, Hales, Carberry or whoever.

2 years is a long time, anything could happen by then.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Money would be on Hales, I reckon. Although if there was a career-ending injury in the next few months or something, Carberry would most likely get a punt.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Excited by Root, but he's clearly far from ready. I would hope Strauss hangs on for long enough for him to mature, but that's a rather fanciful idea that I ought to accept as unlikely.

If Strauss gets injured and can't tour this winter, I'm sure Carberry would go, so he must be the favourite right now.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
In the next two years I think we'd go Trott, especially given we have Bell to replace him at 3 and more middle order options.

Cook
Trott
Bell
KP
Morgan
Taylor
Prior

There are a few talents for opening but no-one ready yet. If they didn't want to go for Trott, then i'd go Carberry but I don't see him as a long term option. Barring injury I think Strauss will go a couple more years and by then hopefully some of the talents will have developed.

Jacknife

International Captain
In the next two years I think we'd go Trott, especially given we have Bell to replace him at 3 and more middle order options.

Cook
Trott
Bell
KP
Morgan
Taylor
Prior

There are a few talents for opening but no-one ready yet. If they didn't want to go for Trott, then i'd go Carberry but I don't see him as a long term option. Barring injury I think Strauss will go a couple more years and by then hopefully some of the talents will have developed.
Agree, without a doubt Trott would move up and Belly to 3 and bring Taylor in, like you say there are some talented youngsters but none of them have even put together 2 good seasons yet.
Carberry for me is a decent player but we clearly should be looking for someone younger to come and be a fixture in the side for the next 8-10 years. Although he could fill in, in case of injury etc but not long term seen as he's 31 nearly himself.

flibbertyjibber

Agree, without a doubt Trott would move up and Belly to 3 and bring Taylor in, like you say there are some talented youngsters but none of them have even put together 2 good seasons yet.
Carberry for me is a decent player but we clearly should be looking for someone younger to come and be a fixture in the side for the next 8-10 years. Although he could fill in, in case of injury etc but not long term seen as he's 31 nearly himself.
Err excuse me but Taylor has had 3 good seasons in a row.

Uppercut

I don't think they'll move Trott up unless there happens to be a particularly good middle-order batsman with a bit of successful test experience that they need to make room for.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hales looks in the box seat, but reckon Strauss is good for another 2-3 years unless his game collapses totally.

He's not in bad nick, just needs to go on.

Stokes an outside chance, if we're looking for punts. Has a very well organised game and will go up the order for Durham shortly.