• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

confusion in cricket rule

fahadimtiaz

Cricket Spectator
1. If the front leg/foot of the bowler lands, behind the bowling crease, is it a no-ball.i.e., can the bowler bowl from behind the stumps ? OR Is it necessary that the front foot of the bowler should cross/touch the bowling crease ?

2. Is it necessary that the bowler should be visible to the umpire, when he is in his delivery stride ? If not, is it a no-ball ?

fahadimtiaz

Cricket Spectator
in Wikipedia it is written

Formerly, part of the bowler's back foot in the delivery stride was required to fall behind the bowling crease to avoid a delivery being a no ball. This rule was replaced by a requirement that part of the bowler's front foot in the delivery stride must fall behind the popping crease (see below)

so is there any limit from where a bowler can bowl from behind....? behind the stumps? behind the umpire?if there is no limit then can a bowler bowls from the boundary :laugh:

fahadimtiaz

Cricket Spectator
my question is that is it no ball ? or dead ball? or wide ball?

is this a legal delivery from bowling behind the bowling crease? if not so? then whats the purpose of bowling crease \?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
By bowling deep from the crease bowler will lose on speed. Unless for a change up ball it will not be used much. There's no rule that bowler should be visible to ump. I have ssen Saqlain bowlig some in lne with the umpire.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Certainly legal to bowl from behind the crease. Kids do it all the time as they're easily confused. I've heard somewhere that Lance Gibbs used it regularly as a variation although I have no source to back that up.

If I was umpiring someone bowling like this, I'd be taking a couple of steps back as I'd want to see the placement of the back foot to call return crease no-balls, and also it's rather easier to umpire when you can see the release.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, Kieron Pollard often delivers the ball from very far back - not sure if he's actually behind the crease but he'd be pushing it.

fahadimtiaz

Cricket Spectator
so whats the purpose of bowling crease then?

and whats the limit from bowling from behind ? can a bowler bowls from the boundary line? if there is no limit?
may be the rule vary from spinner to fast bowler? and may be the ball is called dead ball? am i rite?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
so whats the purpose of bowling crease then?

and whats the limit from bowling from behind ? can a bowler bowls from the boundary line? if there is no limit?
may be the rule vary from spinner to fast bowler? and may be the ball is called dead ball? am i rite?
So you can't bowl from closer. Obviously.

No limit, but good luck bowling straight or deceiving anyone from 40 yards away. Not sure your keeper would like you much, either.

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
robert croft was one guy who used this tactic of bowling from way behind more than often. can't say he enjoyed much success with that though...