• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scorecard Draft II (Voting Thread)

Vote for your favourites excluding your own team you losers.

• Total voters

Howe_zat

Audio File
Botham is my no. 7 batsman, he is a genuine match-winning batsman. Benaud at no. 8 is one of the most prolific spin-bowling allrounders in the history of the game.

I think you are referring to my no. 9, 10 and 11 of Hall, Lillee and Snow as the tail. Sure they don't bat like Bresnan, Broad and Swann; but all of them average around or above 15 with the bat. So they aren't Chris Martins either. They are pretty decent for no. 9, 10 and 11 IMO.

While there are negative points about my team, I don't think my tail can be one among those, especially since Benaud is more than able for a no. 8.
They're fine for a Test 9-11 sure, but we have to nitpick and relative to the other sides here, I think the batting from 6 down is a weakness. Engineer only averaged low-30s in Test cricket (I believe), and so would struggle to bat higher than 8 in a lot of these sides.

I only mentioned your side because i think it's really good - but I had to find reasons to split the difference.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Your middle order is a lot better than anything else in your team. Hobbs and Warne are greats, yeah, but they don't have great partners.
Warne doesn't necessarily need a partner though and if it's turning then Mankad's no mug with the ball.
Reckon Waqar and Walsh is a pretty tidy opening pair too.

Himannv

International Coach
On looking at it, the only main weakness in weldone's team is the lack of a proper keeper. I dont think Walcott can really qualify as a keeper and probably should have been placed a slot down the order at least. Also Vishwanath ahead of O'Neill for me.

Himannv

International Coach
Warne doesn't necessarily need a partner though and if it's turning then Mankad's no mug with the ball.
Reckon Waqar and Walsh is a pretty tidy opening pair too.
I like your team quite a bit but I reckon you're a bowler short. After Waqar, Walsh and Warne, the remining options are not as convincing for an All-time team.

Howe_zat

Audio File
They're fine for a Test 9-11 sure, but we have to nitpick and relative to the other sides here, I think the batting from 6 down is a weakness. Engineer only averaged low-30s in Test cricket (I believe), and so would struggle to bat higher than 8 in a lot of these sides.

I only mentioned your side because i think it's really good - but I had to find reasons to split the difference.
I was in fact mixing up your team with Smalishah. Ignore that particular assessment.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like your team quite a bit but I reckon you're a bowler short. After Waqar, Walsh and Warne, the remining options are not as convincing for an All-time team.
Yeah, I accept this criticism and it's why I have a mishmash of Goddard/Mankad/Hammond in the hope that between three of them then can cover the 4th/5th bowling roles.
I think the 3 main bowlers I do have are of an incredible quality, Goddard is good enough to get through some overs at first change, he's rather under-appreciated IMO. If nothing else he'll keep it ridiculously tight until the balls in a good enough shape for Warney to work his magic.
As has been mentioned, Waqar and Walsh can both bowl long spells so I might only end up needing, what, 15-20 overs a day from my non-frontline bowlers? Mankad and Goddard are easily good enough for that IMO.
That's all without mentioning a bloke who has nearly 750 FC wickets @ 30 and can bowl as quickly as anybody when he feels like it. Piss him off and he'll take your head off :p

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

Engineer is not in my team. :p

Though I don't blame you. This kind of confusion is unavoidable with so many teams around :)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Voted for Cevno, Howe_zat and GF...although with all teams possessing a range of strengths those votes could easily have gone elsewhere. I'm pleased with my side particularly given I missed a number of rounds (around 8 through 11) but still formed a competitive side.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
On looking at it, the only main weakness in weldone's team is the lack of a proper keeper. I dont think Walcott can really qualify as a keeper and probably should have been placed a slot down the order at least. Also Vishwanath ahead of O'Neill for me.
agreed...more or less...

Bang on, regarding Walcott's keeping - he was not the best of keepers. And that's the main problem with my side (and I chose him with the sim in mind, which was conveniently chucked later on :) ).

But Walcott is the best middle-order batsman in my team, and his favorite position was no. 5. So, he bats there.

Regarding Vishy vs O'Neill, as I already said, it's too close a call. The only 2 batsmen who stand out as ATGs in my team are Sehwag and Walcott. The other 5, namely Haynes, Ponsford, O'Neill, Abbas and Vishy were all very good batsmen - and it was a very close call to drop one among them. Drop any one among the 5, and it doesn't really matter (especially because Ponsford was mainly an opener).

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Finally got down to voting. Furball very much in the lead for this one.
Thanks for your vote.

Yeah, GF should win this one, has the best team IMO.

Btw, 8ankitj has voted for his own team in spite of the 'loser' warning :laugh:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I don't see what's the big deal. Poll title seems to suggest that anyone voting on it is automatically a loser.