• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst series by a team ranked #1 in history of cricket?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Saw this on cricinfo - are there other instances of a team being ranked the best in the world rolling in and getting demolished?

L Trumper

State Regular
69-70 Aus @ SA also as one sided as it gets. But Don't think AUS was seen as the best side at that time

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India must have been pretty close to being number one when they came to England in 1974 and lost a three Test series 3-0

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
India must have been pretty close to being number one when they came to England in 1974 and lost a three Test series 3-0
If they had rankings, I think they might have been number one a couple years before that but I'm not sure if they still would have held on to that ranking in 1974.

Going by that rate, I'll have to wait until I'm 77 or so for the next one. It's possible.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I always thought we were number one after 75/76, but i could be wrong. That 1977 Ashes was abysmal stuff, from both teams really, neither side was on the job, but Australia's mindset was most definitely in another country. Greg Chappell's book is pretty damning of the team atmosphere on that tour.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
69-70 Aus @ SA also as one sided as it gets. But Don't think AUS was seen as the best side at that time
They might well have been. They hadn't lost to England since the mid 1950's, and WI were very ordinary around 1970. Perceptive observers might have reckoned that SA were superior beforehand, but the ratings, had they existed, probably had Aus at number 1 prior to that series.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I always thought we were number one after 75/76, but i could be wrong. That 1977 Ashes was abysmal stuff, from both teams really, neither side was on the job, but Australia's mindset was most definitely in another country. Greg Chappell's book is pretty damning of the team atmosphere on that tour.
You must have been number 1 by 1977.

Bit harsh on England in 1977, fwiw. I thought they did a thoroughly professional job in that series - the bowling in particular was very good.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
You must have been number 1 by 1977.

Bit harsh on England in 1977, fwiw. I thought they did a thoroughly professional job in that series - the bowling in particular was very good.
Must have been a crazy few months in England with the WSC stuff hitting the media, and Tony Greig being raped by the press. Didn't faze Boycott i guess.....

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Worst since i started watching cricket in 84 but there are possibly other cases. Doubt any other number 1 ranked side looked as disinterested on a tour as India do though (apart from WSC Australia perhaps) as they have been very poor. No fight with the bat, little effort with the ball and a shambles in the field.

smash84

The Tiger King
actually it is the lack of interest and lack of fight from India that riles up the viewers.....Dravid has shown that a little application goes a long way in improving performance

L Trumper

State Regular
They might well have been. They hadn't lost to England since the mid 1950's, and WI were very ordinary around 1970. Perceptive observers might have reckoned that SA were superior beforehand, but the ratings, had they existed, probably had Aus at number 1 prior to that series.
So just like the on going series then.