Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst series by a team ranked #1 in history of cricket?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

Worst series by a team ranked #1 in history of cricket?

Saw this on cricinfo - are there other instances of a team being ranked the best in the world rolling in and getting demolished?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

1958-59 Ashes the first thing that comes to mind.
    'It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.'

69-70 Aus @ SA also as one sided as it gets. But Don't think AUS was seen as the best side at that time

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    India must have been pretty close to being number one when they came to England in 1974 and lost a three Test series 3-0

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    where is the article?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Oz in 32/33. 4-1 at home. Shocking.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    India must have been pretty close to being number one when they came to England in 1974 and lost a three Test series 3-0
    If they had rankings, I think they might have been number one a couple years before that but I'm not sure if they still would have held on to that ranking in 1974.

Going by that rate, I'll have to wait until I'm 77 or so for the next one. It's possible.

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Were Australia no.1 when they got trounced in England in 1977 just before WSC started?

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    I always thought we were number one after 75/76, but i could be wrong. That 1977 Ashes was abysmal stuff, from both teams really, neither side was on the job, but Australia's mindset was most definitely in another country. Greg Chappell's book is pretty damning of the team atmosphere on that tour.
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

Quote Originally Posted by L Trumper View Post
    69-70 Aus @ SA also as one sided as it gets. But Don't think AUS was seen as the best side at that time
    They might well have been. They hadn't lost to England since the mid 1950's, and WI were very ordinary around 1970. Perceptive observers might have reckoned that SA were superior beforehand, but the ratings, had they existed, probably had Aus at number 1 prior to that series.

Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    I always thought we were number one after 75/76, but i could be wrong. That 1977 Ashes was abysmal stuff, from both teams really, neither side was on the job, but Australia's mindset was most definitely in another country. Greg Chappell's book is pretty damning of the team atmosphere on that tour.
    You must have been number 1 by 1977.

Bit harsh on England in 1977, fwiw. I thought they did a thoroughly professional job in that series - the bowling in particular was very good.

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    You must have been number 1 by 1977.

Bit harsh on England in 1977, fwiw. I thought they did a thoroughly professional job in that series - the bowling in particular was very good.
    Must have been a crazy few months in England with the WSC stuff hitting the media, and Tony Greig being raped by the press. Didn't faze Boycott i guess.....

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Worst since i started watching cricket in 84 but there are possibly other cases. Doubt any other number 1 ranked side looked as disinterested on a tour as India do though (apart from WSC Australia perhaps) as they have been very poor. No fight with the bat, little effort with the ball and a shambles in the field.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    actually it is the lack of interest and lack of fight from India that riles up the viewers.....Dravid has shown that a little application goes a long way in improving performance

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    They might well have been. They hadn't lost to England since the mid 1950's, and WI were very ordinary around 1970. Perceptive observers might have reckoned that SA were superior beforehand, but the ratings, had they existed, probably had Aus at number 1 prior to that series.
    So just like the on going series then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information